Moving to Teach, Info needed

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Moving to Teach, Info needed

Postby smsteele » 30 May 2012, 00:10

I am from Arkansas and I have been accepted to Teach English in Taiwan starting in August 2012. My first question is what type of clothes should I pack to teach in there and for the weather?
Also, I have an 18 year that is coming with me, can anyone tell me what the possibility is for her to get a job where they speak English? I appreciate replies to the questions, as well as anything else you think I need to know.
Thanks!
smsteele
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Moving to Teach, Info needed

Postby Dougster » 30 May 2012, 00:53

Well, it will be roasting, so the less clothes the better. It will stay warm to mild until December, so you can always buy some jackets or jumpers (sweaters) once you are here. As for your for your daughter getting a job, it depends on where you are living and her qualifications. Is she interested in teaching? That is the most obvious type of work, unless she has some other skills.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby smsteele » 30 May 2012, 01:15

Thanks for the reply. My daughter is only 18 and is most skilled in customer service or clerical.
smsteele

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby xtrain » 30 May 2012, 01:22

Although much depends on where you will be living (Taipei offering the most opportunity I would imagine) don't count on much in the way of legal, (semi-)permanent work for your daughter. I'll assume no Chinese, limited experience etc. Private tutoring perhaps, although that takes a while to get going.

More info on where you are going to be living etc. would be helpful. No matter what, I'd make sure your daughter is mentally prepared for the move and willing to go through with it--culture shock in the extreme most likely.
Looking for a place to happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
Forumosan avatar
xtrain
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

38 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby smsteele » 30 May 2012, 01:44

She actually WANTS to go with me. She has places to stay here at home but she wants to go. I figure I will let her go until Christmas. I am not sure yet where they will send me. They haven't told me yet. I really wanted to bring my little dog but that titration test has to be done 180 days prior to leaving. That is just INSANE! I was even getting mentally prepared for the 21 day quarantine. That test is now the only barrier.
smsteele

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Toe Save » 30 May 2012, 03:00

Welcome to the flob.

I can set your daughter (and yourself) up with my agency. We will provide work permits for all jobs (for both of you), should you be offered any. The key to getting gigs is availability, then look, then talent.

Free portfolio shoot and introduction to the agency's modus operandi. Attend only the casting sessions that fit your needs/schedule. Pretty simple, no muss no fuss, fully legal work for Westerners of all ages.

PM me (or better yet, call me when you get here) if you are interested.

And pack light. You need to bring clean air, clean water and privacy. Everything else is readily available in a multitude of colours and a fraction of the price.

Exciting times aren't they?

Btw, you should see if you can get here quicker. August won't give you enough days in the fiscal year, and you are gonna eat it on taxes. Gets waaaay better Y2.

Cheers.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

52 Recommends(s)
47 Recognized(s)

Postby smsteele » 30 May 2012, 03:43

My travel and job is all arranged through the Ministry of Education. When we get there and get settled. I will have her check into different things that are safe to see what works. :bow:
smsteele

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby PapaAzucar » 31 May 2012, 12:01

For clothes, prepare to sweat in the hot and humid tropical weather.

For your 18 year old daughter, it is best to get her into a college to study because the unemployment rate is higher for the younger demographics, unless she can get niche modeling jobs in need of Western females.
College tuition is pretty cheap compared to the US.
PapaAzucar
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan