Poll: Songs you teach your students

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Poll: Songs you teach your students

Postby pengyou » 13 Jun 2012, 08:45

What songs are you teaching your students that they seem to like, i.e. will sing for several weeks. Please include the grade with the name.
pengyou
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Poll: Songs you teach your students

Postby ehophi » 18 Jun 2012, 22:32

http://grooveshark.com/playlist/JPH+ESL ... t/60395236

They pick the songs. I do the raps if there are any. About one fifth of the songs stick with any given student, but their tastes differ, and I have only learned what children like in broad strokes.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 18 Jun 2012, 23:16

Oats, peas, beans and barley grow. Kindy kids LOVE it. You can do actions too.

Mares eat oats is a good tongue twister for junior high.

Morrisey for adults. Gap fill, or cut the sentences up and they put them in order as they listen (both require prep).

Great thread.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

93 Recommends(s)
340 Recognized(s)

Postby Gilgamesh » 18 Jun 2012, 23:31

I play songs every week in my class. I hand out the lyrics, they listen and even sing the songs and then we discuss what it means. They're not very good at the discussion part but it does open up other topics of conversation. I'll also show videos of the song and the kids try and tell me what they like and don't like about the video.

Some of the songs we've done:

Sweet Child of Mine - Guns and Roses
Knocking on Heaven's Door - Antony
Hey Hey My My - Neil Young
Seminole Wind - John Anderson
Someone Like You - Adele
Come Talk To Me - Peter Gabriel
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

I've done a bunch more and I even let them pick some songs that we can look at. It's a small class (only four kids around 12 -13 years old) and the mere fact that they're willing to sing these songs in class amazes me. We started doing this because it's a two hour class and everyone was getting bored. I asked them what they would like to do and they wanted to do something with music.

Luckily, my school leaves me alone and I can do pretty well anything I want. The music gets the kids talking (and singing) and they think the class is a little more interesting than just looking at the book.
Gilgamesh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Exister » 20 Jun 2012, 17:26

Gilgamesh wrote:I play songs every week in my class. I hand out the lyrics, they listen and even sing the songs and then we discuss what it means. They're not very good at the discussion part but it does open up other topics of conversation. I'll also show videos of the song and the kids try and tell me what they like and don't like about the video.

Some of the songs we've done:

Sweet Child of Mine - Guns and Roses
Knocking on Heaven's Door - Antony
Hey Hey My My - Neil Young
Seminole Wind - John Anderson
Someone Like You - Adele
Come Talk To Me - Peter Gabriel
Video Killed the Radio Star - The Buggles

I've done a bunch more and I even let them pick some songs that we can look at. It's a small class (only four kids around 12 -13 years old) and the mere fact that they're willing to sing these songs in class amazes me. We started doing this because it's a two hour class and everyone was getting bored. I asked them what they would like to do and they wanted to do something with music.

Luckily, my school leaves me alone and I can do pretty well anything I want. The music gets the kids talking (and singing) and they think the class is a little more interesting than just looking at the book.

Before you mentioned their ages I was picturing you playing those songs to a class full of confused/horrified kindergartners. :lol:
"The beat-up side of what they call pride could be the measure of these days."
Forumosan avatar
Exister
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 17 Aug 2007

Postby kaikai34 » 20 Jun 2012, 23:04

Here's a fun song for older kids, although it's a little outdated.

Nations of the world. Taiwan is included.
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 21 Jun 2012, 01:12

Here's a more definitive source of what English songs are on Taiwanese students' radar: http://www.uforadio.com.tw/modules/engl ... /index.php .

For once, Taiwan shows a little taste in English music...

Now I'm excited!
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan