Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Is Lukang (Lugang) a good fit for me?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Is Lukang (Lugang) a good fit for me?

Postby Ihoop » 14 Jun 2012, 06:55

Hey all,

Over the last couple months I have been applying to many different companies for an English teaching position. I finally got a job offer! I am really excited about the prospect of living and teaching in Taiwan for a year.

There were a couple places that I would have enjoyed living in. These were Danshui and Taidong. When I was in Taiwan I really loved the "vibe" of both of these places a lot. I put them down as preferences on my application.

I have been offered a job in the small town of Lukang. I have never been there, but from what I have read it is very historic and quite beautiful. To those who have been there, did you enjoy it? Given that I like Danshui and Taidong, do you think I will enjoy life in Lukang?

I don't mind the idea of living in a small town. I would like to be somewhere where there is some sort of creative community.....I am a musician, and I really love all forms of art.

Any input will be appreciated!

-Ian
Ihoop
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Is Lukang (Lugang) a good fit for me?

Postby trubadour » 14 Jun 2012, 08:05

short answer?
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Ihoop » 14 Jun 2012, 09:46

Sure! :)

trubadour wrote:short answer?
Ihoop

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sandman » 14 Jun 2012, 11:27

Its the boonies. Taichung is a good hour away by bus. It has a nice old street area, but it is closed and dead during the week and overrun with tourists and tat-sellers on the weekend. They're not looking for musical entertainment unless its temple-related. The vast majority of the town is a typical gritty, windblown concrete monstrosity. You haven't experienced a filthy gritty wind until you've lived in Lukang. The dirt gets EVERYWHERE.
As for being a musician, it depends what kind you are. Are you the kind who is happy sitting by yourself in your room with an instrument and a computer, or are you the kind who likes to get out and about and perform in public? If the latter, you are shit out of luck unless you resign yourself to spending many hours on buses to find like-minded people.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 14 Jun 2012, 11:35

Lugang is a wonderful place...for a DAY trip

It sux dude, dirty, things falling apart, NOTHING to do (except a few historical streets and sights) but once you have seen those...well, then its time to leave!

We tried spending two nights there....we wish we hadn't, we actually left our hotel the 2nd night (which we had already paid for) but it was worth losing money just to get the f**k outta there it is so dead and boring.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby grandfeller » 14 Jun 2012, 13:15

I like Lugang; could enjoy living there for a year. I'm small-town person, not a night-clubber, and I like Taidong a lot. Lots of history in Lugang; if you're into that, look up some reading material on Taiwan from 1700s to 1895.

Lugang isn't far from Zhanghua, a decent-sized city.

While you're there, take a few trips to Taidong to try to get your foot in the door. Who's is a restaurant/pub/music venue in Taidong owned and operated by a foreigner that specializes in foreign musicians (or so was my impression when I visited and chatted with the owner). The guy also arranges and provides logistics support for live performances all over Taidong.
grandfeller

12 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby superking » 14 Jun 2012, 14:02

It's pretty rural. Yet swamped on the weekends.
There are millions of people in the world. And none of those people is an extra. They're all leads in their own stories.

If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced. That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.
superking
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
330 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 14 Jun 2012, 15:30

You can't get more informative views than from forumosa! amazing insight.

For me, a one or two day trip is great occasionally. The city is not pretty, but there are some pretty spots. They are trying to improve the tourist areas, might be interesting to be around and watch it progress.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

6 Recommends(s)
36 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan