Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

2007 Yale Economics Graduate |Job Prospects Teaching/Tutoring?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

2007 Yale Economics Graduate |Job Prospects Teaching/Tutoring?

Postby JacobDoyle » 09 Jul 2012, 02:32

Dear all,

First, thank you to anybody who can help with this post. I hold a BA in Economics from Yale University and was also a member of the varsity baseball team. My most recent job was coaching and mentoring a high school baseball team in Los Angeles, CA this Spring 2012. I have a Fiance who is Taiwanese and a UCLA grad in East Asian Studies (BA). She is fluent in English, Mandarin, and Taiwanese. Her most recent job experience is in the legal field. We have our sights on venturing overseas together as teachers/tutors (probably ESL) and I hope to have some opportunity to teach baseball as well.

What are some ways that we can leverage our backgrounds and maximize our earning potential in the teaching/tutoring field. Moreover, what organizations or schools are good fits for us? Any additional thoughts, input, or commentary would be greatly appreciated as well.

All the best,

Jacob
JacobDoyle
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: 2007 Yale Economics Graduate |Job Prospects Teaching/Tutoring?

Postby ChewDawg » 09 Jul 2012, 02:42

With UCLA and Yale backgrounds, I think you'll be wasting your efforts in ESL where lots of foreigners have no degrees, degrees of very limited worth, and/or often weren't at the head of their classes. :lol: Does it make a difference? No. People are just looking for a white face.

You both should be looking for corporate work in Taiwan outside of educational services. In your spare time, you could go to the American School, tell them about your baseball background, and see if they are interested in you perhaps teaching it (with their PE instructor) outside of class.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

110 Recommends(s)
93 Recognized(s)

Postby JacobDoyle » 09 Jul 2012, 07:23

Thank you
JacobDoyle

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Borogove » 09 Jul 2012, 22:08

Since you're a native English speaker with baseball skills, you might actually be in high demand among parents who want their kids to get more exposure to English while playing baseball. A Spanish friend of mine who is fluent in English and married to a Taiwanese national came to live in Taipei in August of last year. By December, through the Taiwanese wife's family friends, they had found a Sunday afternoon soccer class that my Spanish friend started volunteering with as a coach, alongside the Taiwanese coaches. My Spanish friend coached the kids in English, and the kids' parents were very happy that their kids were getting some English exposure while playing soccer. In January, one of the Taiwanese coaches, who was also coaching at a few public elementary schools, decided he had too much work, so he recommended my friend to be his replacement coaching at one of those schools (two days a week for a couple of hours each day). My friend was quickly hired -- here again the school was thrilled that he would be coaching in English. This August, my friend and his wife will be starting a soccer school of their own.
Borogove

1 Recognized(s)

Postby JacobDoyle » 10 Jul 2012, 05:47

Thank you
JacobDoyle

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 10 Jul 2012, 16:10

As an unmarried person, though, remember that many forms of employment will be illegal for you, as will volunteer work.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
306 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 10 Jul 2012, 16:17

ironlady wrote:As an unmarried person, though, remember that many forms of employment will be illegal for you, as will volunteer work.

Correct. It will make your life a whole lot easier if you get married. The visa you will get gives you open work rights. You can do whatever you want.
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan