Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Substitute teacher certificate?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Substitute teacher certificate?

Postby feliuscatuslady » 18 Jul 2012, 03:53

My husband and I are wanting to teach in Taiwan and we have recently applied with an agency called "Teach Taiwan." They said that we need a substitute teaching certificate to teach in private schools however I am not finding any information on such a thing. Is there someone that can confirm or deny this statement for me? No other companies have asked for this and my state doesn't even offer a substitute teaching certificate. Thanks!
feliuscatuslady
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Substitute teacher certificate?

Postby housecat » 18 Jul 2012, 06:12

There are some districts in the US that hold training for their substitute teachers and then issue them with these substitute teacher certification documents. I've heard from more than one expat in Taiwan that the Taiwanese government will accept this as a teaching license and qualify one to teach in public schools.

I am an actual licensed teacher and for each public school teaching job I've had or applied for in Taiwan, I've been asked to walk a school rep or employee through the process of looking up the record and current status of my license online. I can't see that a substitute license would work in this case. But you are free to try it and see how it works out. Please do report back on how it goes for you.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan