Catch 22. I need a work permit to work, but...

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Catch 22. I need a work permit to work, but...

Postby Chavvinawa » 25 Jul 2012, 23:32

...However, for foreign teachers who wish to work with us, they need to be equipped with work permits. Given your circumstance, we will have to wait until you possess a work permit,...

I saw a full-time job advertised a couple of weeks ago and applied for it. The above was the reply I got. How do they expect teachers to come up with their own work permits in order to take up employment with them? I don't understand. If I've got a work permit with another employer, I'd work for them. How can anyone cope with 2 full-time jobs in 2 different schools?
Chavvinawa
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
13 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Catch 22. I need a work permit to work, but...

Postby creztor » 26 Jul 2012, 00:05

JFRV or APRC holders?
Lost in Kaohsiung :D
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

90 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby Chavvinawa » 26 Jul 2012, 00:59

creztor wrote:JFRV or APRC holders?

Hi there! I'm currently in the UK looking for work in TWN and I have neither JFRV nor APRC. Was hoping to find an employer that would be willing to sponsor my work permit.
Chavvinawa
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER
13 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 26 Jul 2012, 10:02

Normally, schools would have to qualify -have their taxes all paid, have a certain number of students, etc..- in order to be able to sponsor a teacher's work permit. They also would need to hire such teacher a certain number of hours as minimum per week.

That this school is unwilling/unable to do so, is a big red flag. They cannot offer you the security of a full time job, for example. Hence, they rely on people who already have residence in Taiwan and open work permit rights. It could be kindergarden, too, which is illegal to tecah for foreigners.

In summary, it is not you, it's them.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

531 Recommends(s)
412 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan