My English teacher said that "artwork" isn't a word

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: My English teacher said that "artwork" isn't a word

Postby sandman » 13 Aug 2012, 15:07

"Artwork" isn't a word? Tell your so-called "teacher" she can bite my big hairy one. What an IDIOT! I hope you're not paying more than NT$100 per hour for that kind of ignorance! :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 13 Aug 2012, 15:11

archylgp wrote:
archylgp wrote:There are some simple tests that do a good job for determining if something is a word. Google it.

I tried Google but didn't come up with anything, so I'll just write two simple methods out here:

(1) Separability: if you can add something between the free morphemes (a free morpheme is a unit of speech that can stand alone like 'art' or' work') then it is probably not a compound word (*= not grammatical); for example: 'bus stop'; bus big stop'*; 'big house'; big red house'.

(2) Meaning: if the meaning of a compound word is different from its free morphemes together, then it is probably a compound word; for example; 'bus stops'; 'bus stop'; and the work of art / artwork example above.

I just look up the word in a reputable dictionary. :ponder:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

848 Recognized(s)

Postby niaoahgin » 14 Aug 2012, 01:13

sandman wrote:"Artwork" isn't a word? Tell your so-called "teacher" she can bite my big hairy one. What an IDIOT! I hope you're not paying more than NT$100 per hour for that kind of ignorance! :roll:

A bit more context from the OP would be necessary in order to determine whether or not the teacher is incompetent. Consider the following (intentionally ridiculous) scenarios:

Scenario 1: Does your friend Artwork very hard at his job?
Scenario 2: This picture is an artwork.
Scenario 3: Do you think artwork to get me laid?

The use of "artwork" or "work of art" is not in dispute. It seems unlikely that either a native or non-native speaker/teacher of English would insist upon the ungrammaticality (google it) of "artwork". What remains completely unknown is a) the context in which the interaction between student and teacher occurred, b) the accuracy of the student in his/her recollection, and c) the intention of the OP in mentioning this, otherwise banal, incident.

Alas, the troller has hooked yet another red herring.

This post was recommended by jimipresley (14 Aug 2012, 01:15)
Rating: 4%
niaoahgin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 14 Aug 2012, 04:48

sandman wrote:"Artwork" isn't a word? Tell your so-called "teacher" she can bite my big hairy one. What an IDIOT! I hope you're not paying more than NT$100 per hour for that kind of ignorance! :roll:

You are a work of art, mate!
:whistle:
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
245 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-2114
Gruntleness: Fully Disgruntled

Postby MikeN » 14 Aug 2012, 11:33

archylgp wrote:
archylgp wrote:There are some simple tests that do a good job for determining if something is a word. Google it.

I tried Google but didn't come up with anything, so I'll just write two simple methods out here:

(1) Separability: if you can add something between the free morphemes (a free morpheme is a unit of speech that can stand alone like 'art' or' work') then it is probably not a compound word (*= not grammatical); for example: 'bus stop'; bus big stop'*; 'big house'; big red house'.

(2) Meaning: if the meaning of a compound word is different from its free morphemes together, then it is probably a compound word; for example; 'bus stops'; 'bus stop'; and the work of art / artwork example above.

As in "Louie's doin' ten years in the big house for messing up on that bank job." :)
MikeN
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)
KTV Is My Life (jiùshì ài chàng KTV)

42 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 14 Aug 2012, 12:11

MikeN wrote:
archylgp wrote:

As in "Louie's doin' ten years in the big house for messing up on that bank job." :)

Nice :)
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Aug 2012, 18:35

What remains completely unknown is a) the context in which the interaction between student and teacher occurred, b) the accuracy of the student in his/her recollection, and c) the intention of the OP in mentioning this, otherwise banal, incident.

Mere poncifying (look it up). The OP was clear and unambiguous.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 14 Aug 2012, 20:11

sandman wrote:
What remains completely unknown is a) the context in which the interaction between student and teacher occurred, b) the accuracy of the student in his/her recollection, and c) the intention of the OP in mentioning this, otherwise banal, incident.

Just because they were clear and unambiguous doesn't mean that they're accurate or that there wasn't some kind of initial miscommunication. I'm sometimes amazed by what my students tell me I've told them.
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

62 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby niaoahgin » 14 Aug 2012, 20:44

sandman wrote:

Poncifying? I have not intention of turning myself, or anyone else for that matter, into a ponce. Nor is dandification among any of my ulterior motives.

As per the clarity and unambiguity of the OP, I beg to differ with your assessment. Remember the original title of the post? It was "I don't even". Without beating this dead horse any more than necessary, please consider the statements "she said it [artwork] was two different words" and "Then she put 'work of art' [emphasis added]". These are two very ambiguous statements, in my humble opinion. I am not trying to attack anyone, but I believe that readers would be able to provide better advice to the OP if a bit more detail was provided. (Assuming that the OP was seeking clarification). Perhaps the provision of additional details would even add support to your argument that the teacher in this account is an "IDIOT" who would be well-suited to the task of biting your "big hairy" appendage.
niaoahgin
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

18 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Aug 2012, 21:08

Whatever. I read the OP and responded to what was written, not to what might have been written or what might have been meant. What the fuck would be the point of that? :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Grammar, Usage and Pronunciation