Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Going Rate for Commercial Voice Recording?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Going Rate for Commercial Voice Recording?

Postby timmyjames » 22 Feb 2013, 16:42

k.k. wrote:This question gets asked at least once a year on Forumosa. Not to be snarky, but you could do a little search first before posting.

Recording English teaching material is not the same as recording CF (commercial film). CF voice work includes things like TV commercial voice-overs, product intros, documentaries, shopping channel stuff, etc.

Standard rates for recording English teaching material is $1000 per hour and most announcers have a 3 hour minimum when getting booked for a single gig. I would strongly advise you not to take less than $1000 per hour. These rates have been in effect for roughly 25 years now and really need to go up, not down.

Yeah, we sometimes outsource this at my job, and it's at least 3000 (usually more) per 3-hour session, regardless of if it takes the entire 3 hours.
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby housecat » 22 Feb 2013, 17:48

k.k. wrote:
housecat wrote:My then nine year old son was paid 1500 per hour in Kaohsiung. That's been 8 or 9 months ago.

Good for him. If people are able to get above $1000 per hour for recording of English teaching material, that's a step up from where it's been at for all these years.

Those who do 'explanation' recordings usually get $1500 per hour. Those include EZ Talk (which I believe is now toast), and Live ABC, among others.

I just gave my information as reference. I'm not an expert at this. When I did voice work, years ago, recording teaching materials, I was paid sometimes 1000 per hour and sometimes 600. I never knew there was a standard price. My son was maybe a bit of a special case because he has no accent in English and advanced English reading skills that made it easy for him to pronounce "big" words. They did mention that a child like this is difficult to find in southern Taiwan.
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Postby Ducked » 27 Feb 2013, 12:25

Turned it down citing the pay rate as my reason. Contact said he'd speak to his boss and get back to me, but I don't expect to hear from them again.

I've also been told that signing a contract with the recording company (which they apparently require to get copyright on the sound) might endanger my ARC/work permit. Dunno if that's true but it doesn't seem worth risking.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Going Rate Voice Recording?

Postby rice_t » 13 Mar 2016, 10:37

Sorry for digging out an old thread, but perhaps an update would be useful not only for me. My questions:

-Is 1000NT/hour still the going rate for recording teaching material?

-As I believe that the above discussion was aboutvoice only recordings, what about the rate for video?

-What about recordings of teaching material in languages other than English (German, French, Spanish, Japanese, etc.)?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Impeach Jason Hu!
rice_t
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby ironlady » 14 Mar 2016, 21:04

Not current information but maybe showing a relationship: I used to get offered less money to record Spanish than for English. Don't know if that is still the case of not. Might be because of the perception that English speakers come/came from the US/Canada but Spanish speakers from poorer countries (not true, I realize, but we're talking about perception, not reality)?
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
ironlady
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan