Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Blacklist of schools.

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Blacklist of schools.

Postby Battery9 » 31 May 2005, 16:38

I have heard of a lot of people complaining about schools. their deposits being taken, deposits being ASKED in the first place.

I have been lucky. My schools have been great.

Do you guys have stories to share? I would love to hear if anyone else worked at Julia American School in Szwei Road. Teachers having to put out fires, NT$ 10 000 deposits....being fired for having an opinion...
So far I have 3 people whose lives were almost ruined by that school!

This post was recommended by christoff123 (12 Nov 2013, 15:08)
Rating: 4%
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3086
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:19
Location: Xindian County
27 Recognized(s)



Postby Durins Bane » 31 May 2005, 18:45

Folks,

I think a thread like this can be of great help. But I ask all of you to post in a responsible manner.

We expect information to be from a primary source. Please do not post stuff like, "My roommate's friend's girlfriend's sister's might have heard such and such about a school". We expect the information posted here to be reliable.

We also suggest that you have a solid case against the school or at least a valid argument or complaint. No, "Hey man, I got fired because I was drunk and was twirling my meat in the classroom. That's totally unfair." type stuff.

Please be aware that schools will have an equal opportunity to respond.

Regards,

Durins Bane
Co-Moderator
Teaching Forum

Mod's note 4/17/12 -- Please take the site rules into account when posting, particularly the following -- TG

Conversely, offline disputes are also unwelcome on Forumosa. If you have a problem with someone in real life, don't harass them online. If you have a grievance you'd like to share, that's fine, but please ensure that the identity of the people you're talking about is kept private. Forumosa is not a court of law and allegations of wrongdoing against private individuals are unwelcome.

Do not post personal information about any other person even if that information is publicly available.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: 05 Nov 2002, 19:59
7 Recognized(s)



Postby brian » 31 May 2005, 21:19

Not wanting to knock the value of such a thread on this forum, but such lists already exist.

A blacklist of bad schools, and more importantly a greenlist of good schools can be found at www.buxiban.com
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 04 Apr 2003, 10:49



Re: Blacklist of schools.

Postby Ilanian » 01 Jun 2005, 07:51

Battery9 wrote: I would love to hear if anyone else worked at Julia American School in Szwei Road. Teachers having to put out fires, NT$ 10 000 deposits....being fired for having an opinion...
So far I have 3 people whose lives were almost ruined by that school!


Unless I read this incorrectly, battery has never worked there, as his schools have been great. Why not name them? That would be even more valuable IMHO.

Please do not post stuff like, "My roommate's friend's girlfriend's sister's might have heard such and such about a school".


I hate to say it but this is exactly what this is, to quote a famous song of the same name, second-hand news. Someone posting bad stuff about a school, that they don't even work at, fishing for responses. First hand experiences at any school is valuable information, but insuations about schools shouldn't be allowed.
Ilanian
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)
 
Posts: 50
Joined: 10 Mar 2005, 10:53
Location: Inbetwix



FINE

Postby Battery9 » 01 Jun 2005, 22:40

I will try and get the 3 people to post their FIRST HAND accounts here. Doubt that they will because they are busy with lawsuits to get their deposits back.

My good school is Joy English School in Taishan county.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3086
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 22 Nov 2004, 18:19
Location: Xindian County
27 Recognized(s)



Postby brian » 02 Jun 2005, 20:31

Battery 9 - It would be great to get a review about the Joy School you mention, for the buxiban site. There are plenty of negative comments about schools and this is good, but it would be good to build the Greenlist on the buxiban site so that teachers can find quality schools rather than just information on which schools to avoid.

I encourage anyone else with positive information about current or past schools to also write up a quick review so that this information can be shared with others.
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 04 Apr 2003, 10:49



True about Julia (for me)

Postby oh hut » 22 Jun 2005, 14:30

Just to confirm - indeed, I went for an interview/demo at Julia. All went well, very friendly folks. Then came the contract with the deposit/fine information. I think it was two weeks pay, or NT10,000. Too bad. Seems like it would have been a nice school to work at.
oh hut
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo
 
Posts: 27
Joined: 04 Aug 2004, 11:20
Location: Taipei



Re: True about Julia (for me)

Postby brian » 22 Jun 2005, 17:54

oh hut wrote:Just to confirm - indeed, I went for an interview/demo at Julia. All went well, very friendly folks. Then came the contract with the deposit/fine information. I think it was two weeks pay, or NT10,000. Too bad. Seems like it would have been a nice school to work at.


I am curious. Does anyone know of any buxibans that don't either have a penalty payable, or loss of bonuses, for premature breach. To my knowledge this is the norm, and although I suspect that there may be some schools out there that do things differently, I expect that most school have some form of penalty.

Opinions about whether penalties should be levied in the first place aside, the penalty at Julia doesn't seem to be too excessive to me. I am not sure that you will find a better deal elsewhere, but am interested in hearing if there is one!
brian
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
 
Posts: 446
Joined: 04 Apr 2003, 10:49



Postby irishstu » 22 Jun 2005, 18:01

So you have to pay a deposit up front or is it taken out of your pay?
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
 
Posts: 8620
Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 17:45
Location: At work probably
80 Recommends(s)
50 Recognized(s)



Re: True about Julia (for me)

Postby Durins Bane » 22 Jun 2005, 18:18

brian wrote:
oh hut wrote:Just to confirm - indeed, I went for an interview/demo at Julia. All went well, very friendly folks. Then came the contract with the deposit/fine information. I think it was two weeks pay, or NT10,000. Too bad. Seems like it would have been a nice school to work at.


I am curious. Does anyone know of any buxibans that don't either have a penalty payable, or loss of bonuses, for premature breach. To my knowledge this is the norm, and although I suspect that there may be some schools out there that do things differently, I expect that most school have some form of penalty.

Opinions about whether penalties should be levied in the first place aside, the penalty at Julia doesn't seem to be too excessive to me. I am not sure that you will find a better deal elsewhere, but am interested in hearing if there is one!


If a teacher does not complete the contract. I ask.

1.) To repay the ARC fee and the Physical fee (I pay for both.)

2.) I also ask for the teachers to repay the 25 training hours that I pay them to attend ( it is half pay so it isn't too much).

I don't penalize teachers for leaving early.
Durins Bane
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
 
Posts: 4308
Joined: 05 Nov 2002, 19:59
7 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

Later never exists -- UNKNOWN