Blacklist of schools.

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Blacklist of schools.

Postby Interpol » 16 Sep 2011, 16:24

Hi

I lost the IELTS class, still have another G/E class once a week. What comes out of this is a repeat of the whole sneaky, slimy crap that schools used to pull on teachers in the late 90's, and off the beaten path ones pull now. As far as I was aware, there was no problem with the class, my teaching or anything else; thus, I have no I idea what motivated DELL'S move. It's annoying, to lose a well paid IELTS class; it's even more annoying when a local member of staff- with whom I thought I'd had a good working relationship- lies to you through her back teeth, and then goes on the defensive when she's wrong footed. Besides, on the phone, I made the point that if I hadn't of found out from the ex student that I'd lost my job, I could've been waiting around for the 'phantom' class to start, rather than looking for other work.

As it is, I've managed to get more classes at WELLS to compensate for the loss, and I agree, they've always been fine with me and the others in Kaohsiung. So I still say, be careful in your dealings with DELL Kaohsiung
Interpol
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby shawn_c » 02 Oct 2011, 03:47

kingjames1 wrote:I have never before taught ESL in Taiwan. just wondering about some schools. HESS is the largest buxiban on the island. I have heard that they would be place to teach only as last resort... is that about correct? giraffe language school... can anyone give first hand experience? same with abraham academy.

I had an interview at Giraffe some years ago in Taipei (on Zhongshan Rd.) and they were really nice and everything was great. I didn't take the job, however, because the pay that they offered, $530/hr, was less than I could get at the time. I would've worked there, though.

bismarck wrote:Well done, mate. You handled it much better than I would have. Unfortunately, a lot of these Laobans seem to think more and more that as there is a dearth of teachers we can now be treated like House Slaves. F*ck them. You did the right thing.

Thank-you, thank-you. You think maybe I should've looked at her in disgust, not said anything and walked out? LOL.

Bu Lai En wrote:Or you could have gone on to give a demo about professional ethics and manners in the workplace (with an example of how not to tell a bitch to go fuck herself).

Good to hear from you, old Forumosa buddy! You haven't changed your avatar in years, I see. Anyway, maybe I should've. I'm a good cartoonist, too, so I should've drawn her face on the board and started saying stuff like, "If you encounter an utterly rude and impolite person such as this..."

finley wrote:You might want to amuse yourself with the thought that she probably considers herself a shrewd and clever businesswoman (no doubt it was she who designed the questionnaire questions too).

Hahaha... I bet it was her. I bet!

mups wrote:1. c) Argue with the school and demand my pay be lowered (as punishment for my greediness).
2. c) Impossible, I am a robot.
3. c) Miss no time, walk into class carrying my own detached arm, ask for forgiveness regarding my disheveled appearance.

If I had known the person would be that much of a b*tch, I definitely would've done that.

New Story

So now, I have a new story. Maybe it's because I haven't found an English teaching job, yet? Is that why I'm running into a lot of a--holes? This didn't happen to me the last time I was here...

Firstly, here is a new ad from the school on tealit: http://www.tealit.com/ad_categories.php ... anguage=en
EDIT (for posterity): The school is called Brighton English School, and is located at 2F., No.336, Juguang Rd. 莒光路336號2樓 in Wanhua 萬華, owner is Patrick. Co-owner is a girl named Justin (yes, Justin, not Justine).

About two weeks ago, I saw an ad from this school on 104.com.tw stating exactly the same things it says on the tealit ad (but in Chinese). So, I call Patrick up and he asks me to come in the next day for an interview. I go in, bring my résumé, he asks me a couple questions and then says he'll call me in the next day. No teaching demo? That's weird... anyway, I leave. So, he doesn't call the next day, so I call him the day after that, and he says to come in on Saturday, Sep. 24, 2011, at 3:00 p.m. for a demo. Okay, sounds good...

On Saturday morning at 8:30 a.m., he calls me and asks if I can come in at 2:30 p.m. instead, because there is something he has to do... okay, no problem. I get there at 2:30 p.m., and what does he tell me? You'll be doing a two-hour demo, from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m., but we'll pay you for an hour at $650. Okay, that's really weird, but fine. I prepare for the class for more than half an hour. I ask Patrick if he is going to come in and watch. No? OK... weird, again. I ask about the hours that I will get... he says only Friday and Saturday, four hours a week. Weird... the ad did not say that. Why? Because you have another teacher? There might be another class in October for me? Not sure? Avoiding my direct questions? OK.........

I find out from the students that this is their first class... okay... so does this mean I got the job automatically? Anyway, class is over and I go talk to Patrick. He gives me the $650 and I ask him whether I got the job or not. He says he has to ask the students' parents, because they are the bosses. He'll call me on Monday.

It's a week later, Saturday, now (I decided not to do a follow-up call, because frankly, I was being dicked around)... and I just discovered his ad on tealit!

What a short, chubby, little, non-confrontational, non-direct, University of Brighton graduate!!!
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby asiaeast » 08 Oct 2011, 20:52

Wow. I'm feeling really lucky here. I haven't been screwed by a school in a while. I'm sure when my number comes up, I'll get the big boot just like everyone does... :fume:
asiaeast
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby superguavaguy » 16 Apr 2012, 22:14

I tried to post something about this school before, and I tried to be specific (like we are instructed to be) but the post was deleted. So, I'll try to be specific without being too specific...however that works.

So, the Shane in Chunan should be avoided. The boss will steal your tax money, not pay for vacations she's supposed to pay you for, and overcharge you for rent (should you make the mistake of renting from her). By overcharge I mean charge $12,000 NT a month for a studio, which normally goes for $5,000 NT in Chunan. When I was working there, the head teacher, who was involved intimately with the boss, was abusive and manipulative. He was able to get away with anything because of his relationship with the boss. He was not able to separate his work life from his personal life, and the teachers were often on the receiving end of the head teacher's anger over not being included in the teachers' plans. Shane HQ was notified every time there was a problem, and they always took the side of the teachers since I later discovered this branch was known as a problem school.

I'm writing about this now (after not having taught there for a few years) because I meet someone working at this school now, and that person asked me why I didn't warn other people about this school. So, I'm doing it now. Hope it isn't deleted this time.
superguavaguy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby GoOverseas » 27 Apr 2012, 07:42

On the black/green list of schools topic: Go Overseas has listings and reviews for most schools in Taiwan: http://www.goteachabroad.com/teach-in-taiwan

If you're considering taking a job at a school in Taiwan, I'd recommend reading reviews of the school before making a commitment.

Also, if you're reading this post and have taught English in Taiwan, leave a review! It helps everyone and it's a fun (even cathartic) process. If your school isn't listed yet, it's a really easy process to add your school and leave a review: http://www.gooverseas.com/reviews
GoOverseas

1 Recommends(s)

Postby Akisan2 » 22 May 2012, 22:09

Just wanted to drop off an info.
If you are in Tainan, beware of Dona English school. It is at Wen Cheng road and Wen Xian 1st right next to PaPaSo restaurant.(Tainan North District)

The moment I walked in and asked if they had any teaching jobs available, the boss came and chuckled at me. Why? This is because I am not "White enough."(Her exact quote) At this moment I wasn't all that upset. However she continued to make some remarks that were completely unnecessary.
These all include but not limited to:

"Just look at you!"(About my skin color)
"Yeah we don't care."(About my credentials and my current experience)
"Our students ONLY want a white guy."
"You have to look like him."(Pointing to a white guy - Justin. Hi Justin! BTW you look like an A&F model! All right sorry Justin you have nothing to do with this. :) )

I started to chuckle because this started to feel like some really trashy comedy sitcom. :loco: I just walked off saying "Well, that's really unfortunate."

I was born in Japan, but I was raised in US. On the paper I am Japanese but in the end I am an Asian American. I am currently teaching at 3 different schools, all different age bracket, and have 2 degrees.(One from a state university and one from a post university. It is not a masters degree however...) I resided in US for 26 years and I was just shocked with this experience.

I've heard of these places and I knew they exist. However, having a first hand experience, it just blew me away. I felt an extreme shame that these racist people all share same Asian blood with me!

I realize this kind of topic wouldn't affect most you, but I just wanted to inform anyone that might have a similar situation with me.

Thanks for letting me rant!
Akisan2

Postby tomthorne » 23 May 2012, 00:55

That's harsh, Akisan2. I feel for you, but at least the potential employer was upfront about it. I did a demo once and the Taiwanese boss observed me with a TA. As soon as he saw me he stood up and walked out. The TA then went through the motions of watching my demo and interviewing me afterwards. Of course they weren't going to employ me because they thought I was too old. At least in your case they didn't waste too much of your time. TEFL in Taiwan is a funny old game.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 23 May 2012, 10:46

tomthorne wrote:That's harsh, Akisan2. I feel for you, but at least the potential employer was upfront about it. I did a demo once and the Taiwanese boss observed me with a TA. As soon as he saw me he stood up and walked out. The TA then went through the motions of watching my demo and interviewing me afterwards. Of course they weren't going to employ me because they thought I was too old. At least in your case they didn't waste too much of your time. TEFL in Taiwan is a funny old game.

With the age thing it seems all jobs have this factor worked into it in Taiwan. Hit 40, and you're decrepit and too old to work. :loco:
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 23 May 2012, 12:47

bismarck wrote:
tomthorne wrote:That's harsh, Akisan2. I feel for you, but at least the potential employer was upfront about it. I did a demo once and the Taiwanese boss observed me with a TA. As soon as he saw me he stood up and walked out. The TA then went through the motions of watching my demo and interviewing me afterwards. Of course they weren't going to employ me because they thought I was too old. At least in your case they didn't waste too much of your time. TEFL in Taiwan is a funny old game.

With the age thing it seems all jobs have this factor worked into it in Taiwan. Hit 40, and you're decrepit and too old to work. :loco:

Also definitely depends on the school. Some schools have some really older guys working for them. The ones I have seen are pretty good. There are actually a few working at branches of the school I work at. Well into their 50's.

The schools that don't want to hire someone solely based on age, tend to be the ones looking for a dancing monkey. :ohreally:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 23 May 2012, 14:03

bigduke6 wrote:
bismarck wrote:

Also definitely depends on the school. Some schools have some really older guys working for them. The ones I have seen are pretty good. There are actually a few working at branches of the school I work at. Well into their 50's.

The schools that don't want to hire someone solely based on age, tend to be the ones looking for a dancing monkey. :ohreally:

Very true. The chain school I work for during the day also has a few older blokes. It seems the independent operations are more prone to this sort of thing.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
141 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan