Blacklist of schools.

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Blacklist of schools.

Postby WolvesMon » 07 Dec 2010, 10:30

Read the subbing forum. Some right jokers advertising @ less than 300 per hour Kindie subbing
She said to me in Harlem. 'Hey! Keep a cool tool fool. I'm wise to the rise in your levis!'
WolvesMon
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 07 Dec 2010, 15:22

WolvesMon wrote:Read the subbing forum. Some right jokers advertising @ less than 300 per hour Kindie subbing

No one who's been here for any measure of time would take something like that. The worry is that newbs will, and in so doing scew us all.
It'll be the end of the road if foreigners are getting 300/hour, because who knows what the poor local teachers will be getting then.
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby djkonstable » 15 Jan 2011, 13:30

evertonian wrote:Dude its getting worse ands worse by the sounds of things. Just went for an interview at a school--it was a giraffe school, one right next to taipei 101--was expected to do 18 hours of subbing for free as a "demo" process, expected to work 30 hours a week even though I was getting paid for 17, plus many other things. Check this - they expected me to do "make-up classes", that is, if a kid misses a class for what ever reason (another teacher there told me they miss class for ridiculous things like baseball and piano) then I would have been expected to do that class again for whoever missed it for FREE. If a kid got sick and missed 2 weeks of classes, thats 2 weeks of make-up classes I would have to do for free. They had a clock in clock out system, if I was one minute late (by late that means less than half an hour before class starts), Id be fined 100 dollars a minute. Breaking the contract incurred a 50,000 dollar fee. It was a fkn joke and I almost took it cause there are so few jobs out there at the moment. I dunno if anyone else is feeling the same way as me, but im telling you, the teaching game is getting harder by the day for foreigners. Avoid this place.

The Giraffe School by Taipei 101 is horrible. On top of ridiculous demands they will take your taxes and not pay them to the government. They try to not pay your labor insurance and "forget" to register you for health insurance. They will have you work in two buildings but only one is listed on your work permit, which is illegal if you have an ARC through work with them. They will also try to get you to work for free. The boss "Teacher Tony" treats his Chinese staff like crap yelling screaming etc... They do pay on time but that was the only thing they did right. Stay away. You could lose a lot of money especially if you don't know what they are doing with your tax money and don't know how to survive in Taiwan.
I don't want to live in the fear of what could happen.
Forumosan avatar
djkonstable
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby jackalope » 22 Jan 2011, 18:11

Giraffe English in the zhuangjing district of Kaohsiung.

Boss called me on the phone and offered to hire me, with a "internship period" of 3 months where I would make 35,000 a month, after which I'd be full time making 500/hr teaching 300/hr other hours. After I agreed and worked there for a week, I was informed my pay for the first 3 months would be 20,000, 25,000 and 30,000 accordingly.
jackalope
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Shearersheed » 16 Feb 2011, 05:53

Happy Marian, Shulin City, Taipei County.

After you sign the contract and agree what you will do they, change there mind what they said saying that no you have to do this that and the other.

made me stay from 9am, till 8.30 every night of the week.

worked around 80 - 90 hours per week, and only got paid 60 thousand dollars which works out around 400 dollars per hour I think.

Always shouting at you. Telling you your a bad teacher, a certain co teacher wants you to do everything her way, if you don't she goes crazy. Saying my accent is not real English.

Don't give you any advice on what to do, tell you nothing about the class just expect you to know what books go with what classes. All they do is give you a schedule and expect you to get on with it, then complain when things go wrong.

They wouldn't get me any health insurance, and messed up my visa. They also tried to not pay me when I left.

I would advise anyone against working there, if anyone wants anymore details let me know and I can tell you everything.

Oh and when I demanded my money they threatened to get he police to come for me.
Howay the lads!!!!!
Forumosan avatar
Shearersheed
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby jbstate » 18 Feb 2011, 21:42

Another school to stay away from is Maple Splendor Academy in Zhubei city, Hsinchu County.
The owner (Jennifer) pretends to be nice, when in fact talks behind your back.
I was promised an ARC when I arrived, turns out they are not a registered school and cannot sponsor a teacher, SOOOO, no ARC, I had to renew my visa a couple of times, while she kept promising that she would start my ARC paperwork anytime, all lies!!!. (The teacher before me had the same problem)
There is no C.T to help you out.
If she sees the opportunity to schedule another class and make more money, she will do so without notifying you, she will just tell you that you have a new class and that "you have to work late tonight."
Only good thing about the school is that she pays on time, that's about it.
jbstate
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby angelmae3995 » 10 Mar 2011, 00:44

Dr Jellyfish wrote:Sorry... I watched the 'Hulk 2' a few days ago and have been waiting for the right opportunity to use that quote...

I've worked with a very angry and frustrated Taiwanese manageress before and can sympathise with anyone who has been subject to random bouts of abuse.

1.Here was my first conversation with the said manageress:

Me: Hi Kerry, can you tell me where the text book are please?
Kerry: Oh Teacher! I told you many times before, why you don't remember? Stop asking stupid questions!

2.Before I marked the kids exam papers:

Me: Could I please use your calculator so I can work out the grades?
Kerry: No!
Me: Erm... but if I can't use a calculator then I won't have the grades ready for class. (It was 45 mins before hand)
Kerry: Last teacher stole my calculator, you wanna use it then you sit there and use it! (Right next to her ~ :aiyo: )

3.One more:

Kerry: Why Junior don't know the past perfect!!!??? (this was blasted at me)
Me: Because he's only 6 and it's not even on the course syllabus!

There were many more (these were just some of the shorter examples). The strange this was that whenever I complained about her to the western management, I always came out worse!? More senior teachers suggested that I just pretend that nothing happened... Actually, one Australian teacher had a really novel way of dealing with her, he just repeated the last few words of what she just said while smiling and nodding his head in contemplation ~ it seemed to work.

That reminds me of my current boss. And I would very much like to leave the school now... Just signed my second year contract 1 month ago... but now I'm regretting... So ass backwards
Forumosan avatar
angelmae3995
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby angelmae3995 » 10 Mar 2011, 22:37

MilkTeaJack wrote:What's with people still posting the buxiban.com link? I don't get it. Its been dead for years so how is it that random people join the Flob and then post that link? Anyone here know?

Because we are reading the whole thread and come across it... some decide to ask. I ignored.. hahaha
Forumosan avatar
angelmae3995
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby stig » 22 Mar 2011, 13:10

angelmae3995 wrote:
MilkTeaJack wrote:What's with people still posting the buxiban.com link? I don't get it. Its been dead for years so how is it that random people join the Flob and then post that link? Anyone here know?

Because we are reading the whole thread and come across it... some decide to ask. I ignored.. hahaha

I think it's one of the faults with this type of BBS . Sorry I love Forumosa, but when you enter a conversation you've never read before, you get the 1st page and very first string of responses. The buxiban.com link is in the 2nd or 3rd response, where I too also clicked on it.

In actuality, it OUR oWN faults because we really should be reading through ALL of the responses before CLICKING links. Human Nature, I guess....
Forumosan avatar
stig
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby SandaGuy » 28 May 2011, 13:10

egulotty wrote:
SandaGuy wrote:I just quit this new cram school called I-Kids in Taipei, without notice.

I am very curious about your situation because I was considering taking the position you had. But the ad I responded to was for a substitute for three months from early June until September. I already had another contract, so I couldn't do the whole three months. Here are my questions:

1) What happened to the Native speaker that I was to sub for? He's the one I actually interviewed with. Did he wind up leaving? He was the one who was coming up with the curriculum. I also met one of the Chinese teachers. She was the co-teacher of the NST that I interviewed with. This was supposed to be an anqinban as well as an English school. The hours were to be from 1:30 to 7:00. I was told there was only going to be one teacher to start, and that I was it. Since the majority of the communication was to be in Chinese, I wasn't expected to do office hours either. What were you told?

2) The school was poaching students and teachers from another school. My understanding was the owner had in fact just recently resigned from the school he was poaching kids from. The total number of students I was told I was going to teach was around 30. I was actually given a schedule of the classes I was to teach. I was always going to be hourly. Why did you agree to a salary? Did they offer you something else?

3) Were they sponsoring you or was your other job sponsoring you?

I am not trying to be difficult, but something drastically changed between the time I rejected the offer and you starting. At the time I spoke with the owner he told me he was the only one in charge. This was his dream to have his own school. Interestingly, Kindergarten classes were never mentioned either. I didn't know anything about extra buxiban classes because I was only concerned with the three months I was there, and there weren't going to be any-- or so I was told.

Finally, the NST I spoke with and the Chinese teacher I spoke with both said they had a good working relationship going back a few years with the owner. He was an area director(or whatever the title for manager of managers of several branches is) for whatever school they all worked at.

Having been put through the ringer at a different chain school, I was wary of all buxibans. After speaking with everyone, I actually thought this one might be different. What surprised me most was that you never mentioned any other Westerner at I-kids. I now wonder if the whole thing was a big lie.

Ok, old post. I just saw this after months. So, hopefully this will help someone considering taking that lame position. The native speaker was not the one coming up with the curriculum. He has interest in the school also. So, I would not trust him either. I was lied to about many things with the job. Alan made it sound nice and sweet in the beginning, and then changes things on you. First, it's 22 hours of teaching a week, with office hours, for a total of 40. Then, it becomes 30 hours, and then he tried to make me quit my other night job teaching adults. He was fully aware that I had another job prior to starting. He promised me that I would be ok, and that he would work around my other job. A month later, he told me to quit that job, and to work more and more. All for the same pay. Plus, they tried to make me go on some overnight outing with the school, just to teach English, still without extra pay. And, of course they had a good working relationship together. They poached students together in the end. If they would screw a company they worked for, what makes you think they wouldn't screw you too? In the end, all they care about is what goes into their pockets, not what happens to you or what they promised you. Everyone in that lame school has interest in part of the school, except for that "one" teacher. That school is completely funded by one of the student's mom. Even she has interest in the school. Altogether, there are 6 or 7 "owners" taking part in their share. So, they have to split profits between all of them. That's why they screw all the teachers there. Not enought profit for everyone.
SandaGuy
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan