Global Village Organization (地球村美日語中心)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Global Village Organization (地球村美日語中心)

Postby Barney Rubble » 13 Apr 2002, 07:10

I couldn't believe it when I found out that GVO (Global Village) pays only NT$350/hour. Are there two different pay, one for foreigners and one for Chinese instructors? :ponder:

It's more incredible that anybody would waste time teaching there when other places are offering NT$600/hour and higher. GVC teachers? Can you tell me why you're there? :s

Admin here: For reference, this is the website for Global Village in Taiwan: http://www.gvo.com.tw/
Barney Rubble

ORIGINAL POSTER

low pay at Global Village (GVC)

Postby ironlady » 13 Apr 2002, 12:22

I don't have any first-hand experience with GV, but I'd bet the Chinese instructors get paid even less.

Maybe they have "other benefits" -- more vacation, less preps, no grading, paid correction time, no kids classes.....??? Just guessing. But I'd sure hate to work for NT$350 an hour these days, that's for sure.

Terry
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
336 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby amos » 13 Apr 2002, 12:25

Urbanjet, to answer your question. YES, there are different wages that are graded according to your "race" (that was not a racist remark). One wage rate for foreigners and another for the Taiwanese English speakers, and in most buxibans another for ABC, CBC, AUBC, SABC speakers. In Taiwan, "lighter is brighter", thus the umbrellas in summer. [img]images/smiles/icon_confused.gif[/img]
Forumosan avatar
amos
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

Postby Alien » 13 Apr 2002, 13:01

One of my good friends has worked for GV for almost ten years. He says he likes it because he has a set schedule of 15 hours per week, gets an ARC for that, the students come and go so you're not stuck with the same old Easter Island crowd all the time, he doesn't have to prepare for class!!! because he has to use their materials (seen them, they're crap, but whatever...),he knows what to expect, and he can pad his income with privates at $1000 per hour.
I suppose you could compare this to some places where they expect you to be available to teach for them and then drop your privates, even when you've had practically no work for two months.... [img]images/smiles/icon_sad.gif[/img]
Alien
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby mikev » 14 Apr 2002, 14:36

As a foreign teacher I get paid NT400 by GVC. I am not sure about local teachers.

The pay is not good and there is a lot of travelling between branches and bad organization, but on the up side there is no preparation, marking, kids etc... and virtually nobody supervising /monitoring you.

Having said that though, if I decide to stay another year I think I'll be on the lookout for a school that pays better rates. Either that or reduce my hours (30 a week at the moment) and take on more private students.
mikev

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby amos » 15 Apr 2002, 03:02

CT Mike, I have a friend that told me his hourly rate was also $NT400. But that was in 1997. I think early 97 too. For that rate I'd be expecting some kind of 'other' side benefits from the bosses wife. I'd suggest you sit down with management and ask them what their story is. Cutting hours, sure if that's what you want, but $NT400 an hour mate, come on, were they waiting for you at the airport!!
Forumosan avatar
amos

Postby Anonymous » 16 Apr 2002, 08:23

Do they at least give you free lessons in Japanese or access to their service/facilties?
Anonymous

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby mikev » 16 Apr 2002, 15:13

Thaks for the info Amos, I will look into it.
mikev

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby mikev » 18 Apr 2002, 08:55

A discount, although I don't know how much.
mikev

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: low pay at Global Village (GVC)

Postby rousseau » 10 Jun 2003, 08:03

I worked there from '94 to '96, and got 380 NT per hour. It was okay, while it lasted, for all the reasons mentioned already. The biggest problem was boredom -- rare and highly to be prized is the class of Taiwanese adults who can hold an interesting conversation for two hours in Chinese, much less English!
Forumosan avatar
rousseau
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan