Global Village Organization (地球村美日語中心)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Global Village Organization (地球村美日語中心)

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 24 Jul 2012, 22:54

Yup. Just walk in. One tip for you is to sound enthusiastic when you talk to the manager on the phone.
I've had a great time at GVO. Just finished a 2 hour class tonight that went by like a breeze. Talking, laughing, couldn't even finish the article in time because we were chatting so much. I left work in a far better mood than when I came.

I was able to negotiate a 'normal' wage because my classes are popular and (as far as I know) I've had few student complaints in 3 years. I did, however, have to have a chat with my manager, something like this:
"You guys like to hold on to good teachers, right? Isn't it true that new students come through word of mouth? How much money will GVO gain (through new students) because you've got a good, fun, reliable teacher? Surely far more than the pay raise I'm asking."
This raise took 3-4 phone calls and a couple of emails though. I had to let them know how much more other schools were offering me.
Logic won out in the end. If you prove you're worth it, they will pay you.

This post was recommended by cloud13 (16 Mar 2014, 03:06)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

171 Recommends(s)
232 Recognized(s)

Postby wonder » 26 Jul 2012, 23:30

NonTocareLeTete wrote: I teach what and how I want (as opposed to Hess where lessons were planned out by five minute intervals) my job is stable and I love my students. I'm allowed to do what I want and I couldn't be happier.

That will all change one day in the blink of an eye with no explanation so enjoy it while you can! :discodance:
"Close up I am big but far away I'm small and hardly here at all."
Ray Davies from The Kinks
wonder
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

9 Recognized(s)

Global Village Organization (地球村美日語中心)

Postby headhonchoII » 27 Jul 2012, 07:39

Somebody like NCT could make a pile of money working in a better school. I worked with Davids English 10 years ago, higher hourly pay , 600/hr, and we just read whatever we liked.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1836 Recommends(s)
660 Recognized(s)

Postby UK123 » 23 Oct 2012, 20:41

I have just finished a 6 month stint at GVO and it really hasnt changed. I taught there 15 yrs ago and then it was ~350 NT / hour and as you all know 500/ hour now when you join.

It is such a negative place most of the time. Unhappy students that do not like the magazine. If you dont do the magazine you are bound to get complained about as there is always one student that does want to do it even though everyone says they dont want to do the magazine.

Some counter girls are so rude it isnt funny. I just went to collect my final wage slip and the counter girl got pissed off as she was trying to get new students to join, fear of losing the commission from the new students made her lose her cool. She told me not to go back :loco:

Admittedly some classes can be fun but they are so few and far between, getting the conversation going in each class is usually like trying to get blood out of a stone. My last class was full of bland and passive students which is / was the norm. I will never go back again, the guy who wrote "you are worth so much more" is so right. They really do not give a flying fcuk and all the negativity that seems to be around GVO really makes it such an unpleasant place to work.

Poor pay and passive students.....oh god.

I have been hearing of pissed off teachers at GVO for so many years I wonder how GVO keeps going.

This post was recommended by creztor (27 Oct 2012, 19:34)
UK123
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

35 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 1997

Postby noamchomsky » 23 Oct 2012, 20:48

They offered me 300-350 as an ABC about 2 years ago

what
noamchomsky
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby creztor » 27 Oct 2012, 19:36

GVO can keep going because it's about the only place to teach adults in Taiwan. OK, I know it isn't the "only" place, but it is one of the easiest spots to work teaching adults, especially outside of Taipei. This means people are willing to take any pay they can get, because they just don't want to teach ankle-biters.
Lost in Kaohsiung :D

This post was recommended by UK123 (29 Mar 2013, 14:07)
creztor
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

89 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby UK123 » 30 Oct 2012, 09:15

Creztor, I think you got it. The only choices are those. The adult brain dead or the ankle biters. Ive been teaching both over the past 15 yrs and have reached my limit. Doing such a mind non rewarding job for so long, ok for some they might find it rewarding they are lucky, I cant go back to teaching anymore.

Thinking of returning but to what only god knows. I cant find anything else on this tiny island. I doubt there is anything over in the Mainland.
UK123
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

35 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 1997

Postby Shaolin Jedi » 04 Nov 2013, 23:50

I've just signed up with gvo, fingers x'd! Having worked with adults before, I'm pretty confident about enjoying this type of work, but to respond to some of the previous posts, if you work for an organisation that makes you feel negative - leave! If you're not keen on the country anymore, same same, leave! Go to Korea, or Japan, or wherever but teaching ESL the world's pretty much your oyster.
Forumosan avatar
Shaolin Jedi
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby ehophi » 05 Nov 2013, 04:27

If you chose GVO, it's because you weren't good enough or you didn't know where to go. I work for a company that pays people $540 per forty-five minutes to work from home.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby bigduke6 » 05 Nov 2013, 07:37

ehophi wrote:If you chose GVO, it's because you weren't good enough or you didn't know where to go. I work for a company that pays people $540 per forty-five minutes to work from home.

WOW!!!!!! :roll: :roll:
Jesus Quintana: Let me tell you something, pendejo. You pull any of your crazy shit with us, you flash a piece out on the lanes, I'll take it away from you, stick it up your ass and pull the fucking trigger 'til it goes "click."
The Dude: Jesus.
Jesus Quintana: You said it, man. Nobody
fucks with the Jesus.

Mr.Lahey: The shitabyss!
Randy: Mr. Lahey, not another night of the shitabyss, please?!
Mr.Lahey: Ah, fuck it.

If you talk to god, you're religious. If god talks to you, you're psychotic.
Gregory House

I got me a dog and named her Mybitchniggaeater.
2Pac
Forumosan avatar
bigduke6
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

72 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan