Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Work with two-year associate's (AA) degree and tefl or tesol?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Postby Indiana » 29 Apr 2006, 09:27

You can get a legal teaching job with either:

1) Associates Degree + TEFL cert.
2) Bachelors Degree

So, yes, you can teach here legally.
Forumosan avatar
Indiana
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
39 Recognized(s)

Postby Mikaiei » 29 Apr 2006, 09:56

Thank you

I feel very relieved
Mikaiei
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Online TEFL - OK for Taiwan Immigration?

Postby Jonathan McDougall » 23 Aug 2008, 04:57

Hello,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed in detail. I've seen posts about online TEFL, but not one that covers my specific situation.

I am interested to teach English in Taiwan, but only if I can do it legally.

My problem is that I don't have a degree, I have a two year diploma in Recording Engineering, plus a 1-year graduate diploma in Digital Applications. Both are from Fanshawe College in Canada. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this would be considered the equivalent of an "Associate Degree" under the American system, not a Bachelor's.

I have read that Associate Degree holders must have a TEFL or TESOL certificate to teach in Taiwan legally. In fact, an old school friend with the same diplomas that I have, he was able to teach in Taiwan legally with his diplomas and a TESOL he got many years ago.

So I am considering taking a TEFL course online. My questions are:

1. From the government's perspective, is an online TEFL course OK to legally get an ARC?
2. Are there any things to consider when selecting an online TEFL? For example, a particular type of accreditation or a certain number of hours?

Right now I am living in Tokyo. I have considered asking the consulate here if they can give any more guidance on the topic. But I was hoping perhaps someone here might have some insight.

Thanks!
Jonathan McDougall

Re: Online TEFL - OK for Taiwan Immigration?

Postby barfomcgee » 23 Aug 2008, 15:12

I'm afraid I can't answer your questions... But it seems like an online TEFL would be pretty worthless. Why not take a month and get a CELTA? The CELTA is recognized internationally. I obtained mine in Bangkok, US$1,400 at ECC (eccthai.com).

It is possible to get a work permit/ARC with an AA + TEFL; I have done so myself. However, because I didn't have a Bachelor's I went with the CELTA, as it is the best as far as TEFLs go.

I think most people here will advise you to finish your Bachelor's before you come. If you don't, I would suggest that you at least get a proper TEFL/CELTA from a reputable school, not online.
barfomcgee
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Transcript Required with Associate's+T.E.F.L.????

Postby ord2tpe2011 » 16 Jun 2010, 04:24

I'm hoping someone is still reading this and can answer my question. In order to procure a work permit, will I be required to provide my transcipts along with my associate's degee and in class T.E.F.L.?

I'm a member of the two year honor society, but received my only "C" in math. I hope this will not disqualify me from teaching since I received exemplary grades in all other subjects.

I just want to experience another culture for a few years before I complete my bachelor's in art history.

I appreciate any links to gov't sites as well.

Thank you!!!!!!!!
ord2tpe2011

TEFL + Associates

Postby diplomacyx » 15 Sep 2010, 09:24

Hi,

I'm currently working towards earning myb achelor's degree via SUNY's online program, however, I'm aware that the Taiwanese Government generally doesn't accept online degrees.

I do however have an associates degree(well two actually) from a brick-and-mortar SUNY Community College, and I've heard with an associates + TEFL I can teach at a cram school. I also have some experience teaching English(I volunteer at the local literacy center, teaching immigrants.)

Now, I'm aware that online TEFL programs probably don't offer much in terms of actual learning, however, are any of them considered valid for teaching in Taiwan? For instance I-to-Is? I figure I already have some practical experience teaching English, and can learn the rest as I go. I just need something that will certify me so I can enter the Country legally for work.

Also, does the type of associates degree matter? I have both an AS and AAS.

Thanks.
diplomacyx

Re: TEFL + Associates

Postby horo36 » 15 Sep 2010, 09:38

You don't need any paper to teach here. Provided you are white, it should be fairly easy. That's the reality.
Legal work is for English native speakers, i.e. passport holders from countries, where English is the main language.

If you don't hold such a passport, then you need a degree in any field (B.A. - doesn't count in this situation, it must be at least M.A.) and you can find a nice job at the university.
Of course there may be many exemptions, depending what your field is.
Forumosan avatar
horo36
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

13 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: TEFL + Associates

Postby funkymonkey » 15 Sep 2010, 11:30

horo36 wrote:You don't need any paper to teach here.

This is just so painfully wrong...

You need a passport from an English speaking country (U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, South Africa, etc.) and a B.A. An AA + TESOL is also accepted.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Re: Work with two-year associate's diploma and tefl or tesol

Postby diplomacyx » 15 Sep 2010, 12:06

You say an AA, will an AS or an AAS work?
diplomacyx

Re: Work with two-year associate's diploma and tefl or tesol

Postby tomthorne » 15 Sep 2010, 13:21

Science or arts makes no difference with a full bachelor's degree, so the same will be true with a 2 year associate's diploma. Keep in mind that some small independent schools won't understand what you are asking for if you apply for a job with them. The big chains like HESS will.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan