Korrnell Academy (康乃薾(康乃爾)雙語學小) in Hsinchu

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Korrnell Academy (康乃薾(康乃爾)雙語學小) in Hsinchu

Postby valor » 29 Jun 2008, 00:35

Has anyone heard anything about this particular school??? School is less than 2 years old so I'm having trouble finding any information on it. I've had no luck on buxiban, tealit, or forumosa. Any feedback would be nice.

Cheers
Forumosan avatar
valor
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Charlie Jack » 06 Jul 2008, 00:49

Just in case you haven't visited it, I believe this is the website of the school your post refers to, unless there is more than one Korrnell Academy in Hsinchu County. The English version is here.

Welcome to Forumosa!
Charlie Jack
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

1020 Recommends(s)
185 Recognized(s)

Re: Korrnell Academy in Hsinchu (Xinzhu)

Postby bunny_1013 » 15 Sep 2008, 09:34

This school opened its door last fall. It is a bilingual school aimed at parents who wants their children to have both an english background as well as chinese. Personally, I think that is unrealistic. Unless you don't want your child to sleep. But heck, that's ideally what Taiwan parents want. A lot of teacher's have left Kornell last year. They have pretty high turnovers, but maybe you might be lucky.
bunny_1013
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby daihatsu » 22 Sep 2008, 23:26

I had applied for a job there, done a demo, and got hired on the spot the year they opened their doors. However, the school at that stage was still being built, there were reams of nonsensical documents to sign which depended on having seen and agreeing to other documents which didn't exist.

I believe they do have a vision, but not the brains to execute it. Although the heads of departments, principals etc all claim to have overseas Masters and Phds, to have worked successfully overseas, etc - the way they approached their jobs shouted: "losers".

The big wigs lord it over the minnions, and when I cancelled my contract a month before starting teaching, a low ranking minnion was told to e-mail me to find out why. Please note that they have recently advertised in the local "English" newspapers, promising to pay NT$10 000 to anybody who could find a teacher for them, and where the teacher stays on to finish the contract. If you have to pay people, and can't rely on word of mouth, you know it's bad.

I know of other teachers who'd baulked at all the nonsense, and left in the night (but after getting paid).

I'm glad I got out of there when I did.
Place the tongue in a large basin, cover with water and soak for 3 to 4 hours.
Forumosan avatar
daihatsu
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Charlie Jack » 23 Sep 2008, 01:39

The school is mentioned in this Chinese-language thread on the National Teachers' Association R.O.C. forums. A post on the thread links to this blog page.

(I posted a link to the NTA thread some time ago in the Temporary Forum.)
Charlie Jack

1020 Recommends(s)
185 Recognized(s)

Re: Korrnell Academy in Hsinchu

Postby cjd » 08 Jul 2010, 21:42

Hi, I see this is a very old post, but has anyone had any experience at Korrnell since then. I have been offered a job (after a Skype interview), and would love to hear of otehr peoples experiences with the school.
cjd

Postby cly775 » 14 Jul 2010, 15:44

I am in the same boat as you cjd. I got an offer as well. Did you take the offer?
cly775

Postby cjd » 14 Jul 2010, 19:01

yup I have accepted the offer! I must say from what I have researched there are mixed feelings about the school, but everyone seems to hate Janice. Although the problems people have had sound like the same type of problems that other teachers have had at different schools, so I'm not sure what to think. The guy I've been dealing with, Lee, has been very friendly and helpful so I'm willing to give it a try and see how it goes!
cjd

Postby AncientGeek » 11 Aug 2010, 23:28

My information is second hand but, I think, worth considering. I know several current and former teachers there and none of them has anything nice to say about the school or its program or has had a remotely happy experience. Their turn-around rate for teachers is absurdly high, and most of the teachers are unqualified-- that is they have to be given an ARC through the buxiban but they work in the elementary school (you have to be a licensed teacher to work legally in an elementary school). While this is not unusual at all for bilingual schools, it is worth mentioning that in my experience schools hire teachers illegally because they either A. know they will be easier to exploit or bully B. don't want to pay what it costs to recruit legally C. are ambivalent about the quality of their school D. Want teachers that can be replaced quickly E. All of the above.

In short, if you take a job where you are not working legally, you can hardly be surprised when the same school ignores, to your detriment, any other laws that it finds inconvenient.

My advice is that if you are licensed you can do better by applying to an international school or the government programs-- they will also pay more. If you aren't licensed, you should understand that you are absolutely being hired illegally despite what they tell you. You will be treated poorly because you can be and because they know you will lack legal recourse and are easily replaceable. You should instead look to a buxiban that can employ you legally.

If you are interested in becoming a certified teacher there are several programs available from American universities that have very flexible class schedules (either on line, during summers, or even held in Taiwan), and they will even let you do your student teaching at an approved school in Taiwan
AncientGeek

2 Recognized(s)

Postby emerihsoetihw » 12 Aug 2010, 12:15

A skype interview really says it all.
emerihsoetihw
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Next

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan