Shane English School (夏恩英語)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Postby Joesox » 24 Nov 2006, 12:59

pubba wrote:My only problem is the low number of hours. They did mention that my hours will increase in 'the future'. Is this a safety mechanism for them? If they are happy with my performance, could the hours increase very fast?
Really depends on how many classrooms they've got and how many classes they have running now and are planning to open in the future. I would certainly imagine that the hours will increase. It's hardly worth them using up one of their ARC slots for only 56 hours a month.

I guess that they want you to get used to the work gradually.
Joesox
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

7 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

hmmm

Postby Battery9 » 24 Nov 2006, 13:04

I wouldn't do that. 30 000 isn't enough....Why don't you look for other places..have you sent your CV to all the places advertising here and on tealit? You can also go to Joy School headquarters on Xinyi road...they check you out and place you with a school that needs someone.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

27 Recognized(s)

Postby Matchstick_man » 24 Nov 2006, 13:08

It wouldn't hurt to keep shopping around, Pubba. The Shane school in Shalu recently lost a Canadian teacher who had been teaching there for one year and he was replaced by a sub who wasn't sure if she'd be made full-time or not. A lost teacher at any school often means students don't re-enrol/stop coming which can mean less classes. Still the hours are likely to build up.
Matchstick_man
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

63 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby TomHill » 24 Nov 2006, 13:18

pubba wrote:Just got confirmation of an employment offer from Shane school in Shalu, Taichung.

However, they are only offering 56 hours a month at 550NT per hour. Does that sound right?

It works out to only 30,800 NT per month..

On the positive side, they will take care of my ARC. No mention of health insurance.

ESL dewey.com.tw found the job for me after posting my details there..

There are a few other schools that want to see me when I get back from Thailand, do you think I should wait and check out the other options?

I did a search for Shane schools on here and the feedback was mostly positive. I liked their curriculum and the school was clean and professional looking.

My only problem is the low number of hours. They did mention that my hours will increase in 'the future'. Is this a safety mechanism for them? If they are happy with my performance, could the hours increase very fast?

That school is in SHALU! End of subject.
The school is small but with a growing reputation. However, that may be due to the decline of the reputation of the Shane on ChingHai Lu, which is the closest Shane for most Shaluvians. That school, I imagine, will only be able to give you more hours if you are mega hot and word of mouth spreads. However the chances are that the bright shiny new JOY on the corner of Taichungang Lu will attract the punters, as Shane is rather hidden away. I'm also not aware of many links to Kindy's or An-chin-bans that will bring in waves of new kiddies each year.

My opinion: The hours won't increase. People in Shalu don't procreate.

Shane in general... Expect to be there from 10am to 10pm, and get paid for about 6 hours. But you can mostly turn up drunk and they won't care. Just keep your darn students.
Eating fish.
Forumosan avatar
TomHill
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

Postby pubba » 24 Nov 2006, 13:52

Some food for thought here.. Thanks everyone

I have decided to just relax and fit in as much sightseeing as I can before I go to Thailand for a week on the 7th

So far I have gone to three interviews and they all seemed very keen to hire me.. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but I think teachers are in short supply around this sunny locale ;)

A job in Qingshui is offering 55,000 NT for 100 hours plus free furnished apartment! A much more attratcive proposition I think..

Anyhow, I have asked the dewey guys to hold off any interviews till I get back on 14 December. They are very very persistent - was getting phone calls and emails every hour when I first signed up..!

I got the impression that the Shane school are desperate for somebody (perhaps to replace the Canadian teacher that matchstick man mentioned). She rather unconvincingly said that they had 'more applicants' to sort through..

Its nice being able to pick and chose a job for the first time ever!

Again, thanks for the input everyone :) I have decided to wait till I get back on the 14th and then tackle the job hunt 110% using the info you have all shared here
Forumosan avatar
pubba
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

Postby TomHill » 24 Nov 2006, 13:57

pubba wrote:Some food for thought here.. Thanks everyone

I have decided to just relax and fit in as much sightseeing as I can before I go to Thailand for a week on the 7th

So far I have gone to three interviews and they all seemed very keen to hire me.. Sorry if that sounds arrogant but I think teachers are in short supply around this sunny locale ;)

A job in Qingshui is offering 55,000 NT for 100 hours plus free furnished apartment! A much more attratcive proposition I think..

Anyhow, I have asked the dewey guys to hold off any interviews till I get back on 14 December. They are very very persistent - was getting phone calls and emails every hour when I first signed up..!

I got the impression that the Shane school are desperate for somebody (perhaps to replace the Canadian teacher that matchstick man mentioned). She rather unconvincingly said that they had 'more applicants' to sort through..

Its nice being able to pick and chose a job for the first time ever!

Again, thanks for the input everyone :) I have decided to wait till I get back on the 14th and then tackle the job hunt 110% using the info you have all shared here

So Shane in Shalu is still a 1 teacher operation? Thats after 2 years of business. Yowser.
Eating fish.
Forumosan avatar
TomHill

Postby pubba » 25 Nov 2006, 11:58

Thats a lot of pressure for a teaching newbie :s

Might look at other options before becoming the 'token white guy' at a small cram school...

They emailed me offering a guaranteed 80 hours a month. Perhaps if I keep umming and ahhing they will raise it again to 100? :)
Forumosan avatar
pubba

Postby Buttercup » 25 Nov 2006, 12:10

pubba wrote:Thats a lot of pressure for a teaching newbie :S

Might look at other options before becoming the 'token white guy' at a small cram school...

They emailed me offering a guaranteed 80 hours a month. Perhaps if I keep umming and ahhing they will raise it again to 100? :)

When I worked there. Shane 'guaranteed hours' means they pay you for 80 hours for 6 months. If you work fewer hours, you're the winner. If you work more, they pay you the balance after 6 months. It's one way of making sure you complete your contract. In reality, you will probably work around 80, unless something changes. They aren't going to raise it to 100 because they aren't going to pay you for work you don't do. Another 20 hours a month in a 1 teacher operation is going to be tough for a school manager to come up with in a small town.

I'm not saying you shouldn't accept it if it's the place you want to live in. Shane will honour your contract at the least. You know the area and what else is being advertised.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby pubba » 25 Nov 2006, 13:15

Another job in Qingshui is offering 55,000 NT plus free furnished apartment and the contract is 100 hours per month..

Just had a call today from 'Sesame Street' buxiban. Not sure which area they are in, but I told the agent that I wish to stay in this area..

Not sure what Sesame St is offering yet...

Im tempted to give Shane a try, and supplement my income with some private 1 on 1 conversational classes. The people there seemed friendly and the class sizes are small (4 to 10 students)

Plus its walking distance from home which is great :)

I am currently doing 2 Language Exchanges and both girls are very good Chinese teachers. One of them even printed out some Bo Po Mo Fo pronunciation tables and gives me homework! Its great :)
Forumosan avatar
pubba

Postby TomHill » 25 Nov 2006, 17:33

pubba wrote:Thats a lot of pressure for a teaching newbie :S

If you are talking about the school in Shalu, then it would simply be a matter of them not having enough students to give you 100 hours. Just can't make enough classes. Get a job at the Shane on the corner of Fuke Lu, andd Chinghai. Its near the Mcdonalds, and Geant. Wait, I'll pm you. :D
Eating fish.
Forumosan avatar
TomHill

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan