Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Shane English School (夏恩英語)

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Shane English School

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 17 May 2009, 21:57

jacktorrence wrote:
Dr Jellyfish wrote:
Buttercup wrote:Huh? I was only in my twenties. I am not prepared to do it at all, now. I could probably summon up the will for triple the hourly rate, as long as I had contractual assurances that no DOS, school owner, parent, cunty administrator etc would even meet my gaze, let alone talk to me.

During my entire teaching career of more than ten years, I never taught much over 20 hours. I only did 15 hours in the UK. I don't like working: it is boring and a waste of time and you have to be nice to everyone and tolerate bad people. I prefer to have lots of free time. In Taiwan, I liked going hiking and swimming and hotspringing, and drinking with my friends. I also never buy much stuff.

:lol:

I can well understand that. It's hard to say how much I hated some of the things I had to do, like being forced to teach Kindergarten classes which involved singing and dancing around the class, pretending to be animals and smiling the whole way through ~ because if the parents weren't in the class observing, then they were outside the classroom with there faces pressed up against the glass (classroom was like a fish tank). When that class is over - bang straight to your next class, after that - bang again next class! It would take a special sort to voluntarily go back to that.

It was only when I left that system, that I actually started liking and even enjoying Taiwan, more importantly I actually had time to study Chinese.

None of you guys liked having fun with the kids? I personally think it's the best job in the world. Sure you don't have to use your brain much, but who cares. Get the sticky balls out!

The sticky balls, the lynchpin of the Shane teaching system :lol:

There was one memorable occasion when the school manageress asked me if I had my special Christmas party class prepared 10 mins before class time (she hadn't mentioned it to me before). This group of kids were about 9 - 11 (ish), anyway ~ all I could come up with was a brilliant game which involved a beach ball and an elasticated Santa beard, the kids had to throw the beach ball at each other (dodge-ball style); however, when hit with the ball they had to don the beard and say "Ho-ho-ho Merry Christmas", it was an instant classic - even the next class room's T.A. joined in.
Dr Jellyfish
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

56 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

Re: Shane English School

Postby Tempo Gain » 18 May 2009, 00:36

I moved a couple of OT posts here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78946
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

300 Recommends(s)
302 Recognized(s)

Re: Teaching kids and other experiences

Postby Dr Jellyfish » 18 May 2009, 00:37

The way I saw it (and perhaps others with CELTA or similar qualifications may), was that Shane and other large cram schools can provide you with the experience that you need to get a better job, after I finished with Shane I ended up working in Chinese Culture University's ILI (an evening school for adults). Quite a few of my old Shane colleagues also moved on to the better paying jobs which don't involve singing, dancing and being on stand by.

I never really saw the point of staying there any longer than I needed to, I mean hurling sticky balls and plastic fruit around is all good, but I recon being constantly stuck in the present simple, teaching the same stuff again and again can't really be all that good for everyone. I guess some people just aren't cut out for it, by the third time I had to teach the same textbook I felt bored sick!

With my adult classes (outside of Shane) it was completely different, my manageress showed me a lot of respect and even let me reduce textbook time from about 80% to 30% (she said if the students are happy and willing - then so is the school). We did all sorts, discussed news, did presentations, movie and book reviews they were a pretty advanced bunch... actually, they only ever gave me their advanced students so all I needed to do was set the right mood, get them talking and just step back and mostly listen... I'm having second thought about going back to the UK now.
Dr Jellyfish

56 Recommends(s)
37 Recognized(s)

SHANE Schools

Postby elliotzany » 24 Aug 2010, 04:46

I've been reading a lot about shitty cram schools and good schools, I'm hoping to c ome to Taiwan to teach.

has anybody ever worked in a Shane school or know what kind of reputation they have?

and are franchise schools better to work in?

I'll be moving to Taiwan from England so best to be as sure as i can about the school I'm going to be working in.
elliotzany
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Re: Shane English School (夏恩英語)

Postby elliotzany » 24 Aug 2010, 22:04

i just spoke to Shane school and they're going to e-mail me application forms.

they informed me that my monthly starting salary would be £890:00 around NZ$41:000, because i only had 6 months teaching experience and my salary would increase after 6 months and it would be performance related.

however, with Shane schools you are prohibited from doing any private teaching. Shane schools told me that they would never discriminate against a person because of their ethnicity but i may get a reaction from the students. i told Shane schools, that I'll will win them over with my personality :P

I've also contacted Hess schools, they've e-mailed me some application forms etc. looking at their website they seem like a good company to work for.
elliotzany
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby BigJohn » 24 Aug 2010, 23:02

elliotzany wrote:i just spoke to Shane school and they're going to e-mail me application forms.

they informed me that my monthly starting salary would be £890:00 around NZ$41:000, because i only had 6 months teaching experience and my salary would increase after 6 months and it would be performance related.

however, with Shane schools you are prohibited from doing any private teaching. Shane schools told me that they would never discriminate against a person because of their ethnicity but i may get a reaction from the students. i told Shane schools, that I'll will win them over with my personality :P

I've also contacted Hess schools, they've e-mailed me some application forms etc. looking at their website they seem like a good company to work for.

Sorry, but you are being sucked in by their image projection. 90% of the cram schools here are run in an unprofessional manner. Sometimes this is warm, happy un-professionalism, but sometimes it is nickle-and-diming dance foreign clown! type un-professionalism. The best strategy is to do one year at a chain school like Shane, Kojen or Hess, learning what you can about teaching and getting to know Taiwan. Keep your head down, don't lose your cool, and smile a lot. Then, at the end of your contract, move on to a better school, one you know is better because someone you trust works there.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

110 Recognized(s)

Postby elliotzany » 25 Aug 2010, 08:53

looking through the website for Hess, it offers a better salary then Shane. and I don't like the idea of shane not allowing its teachers to do private tution.

thanks for your advice hun :)

p.s. on the Hess website, they have 25 hour contracts and 30 hour contracts, their hourly rate is reasonable as well, if i could get a 30 hour contract that would be fantastic.
elliotzany
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby BlackAdder » 25 Aug 2010, 09:22

Unless you have an open work permit (which I doubt you will) you are not allowed to teach privates because it is against the law. When I say 'privates' I mean teaching in a coffee shop for cash in hand.

For a school to say 'you are allowed to teach privates' would be contrary to the law. But in reality, Shane and most other schools don't care one bit if you teach privates in your free time. Just don't: a) steal students from the school, b) talk about it at work, c) let it interfere with your job.

p.s. If you do your job properly a 30 hour week won't leave you much time/energy for privates anyway.
"For scientific leadership, give me Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby elliotzany » 25 Aug 2010, 09:35

if i can get a 30 hour contract, I wouldn't need or want any private jobs :wink:

where do you teach hun?
elliotzany
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby angelmae3995 » 09 Mar 2011, 23:29

I have a friend who worked at shane for a short time and didn't like it. They required him to give the students at 96 or higher, and that if he did not, he would need to give that student a remedial without pay.

Not a school I would work for. I grade truthfully.

BTW this was a branch in Kaohsiung
Forumosan avatar
angelmae3995
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan