The newbie thread

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: The newbie thread

Postby frank_lemay » 27 Nov 2011, 16:38

Hi everyone,

I'm a new arrived Canadian in Taiwan. I already have my ARC based on my family situation (wife and kids are Taiwanese). I do not have any uni degrees or English teaching experience. What are my chances to get a decent job and where should I look first to find one? Is agencies can be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Frank
frank_lemay
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby tboasis7 » 18 Apr 2012, 15:24

Hey everyone, I'm a teacher in Korea right now with EPIK but I'm planning to move to Taiwan to teach there instead since I love Taiwan. I have a BA and will have 1 year of experience teaching by the end of my contract in September. What is the deal? Just land in Taiwan and find a job when you get there? Seems pretty risky since I havent heard of anyone that I know doing it lol. Also, where would be the best place to stay while you are trying to find a job there? I havent really got any contacts there that could house me .... :(
Thanks
tboasis7

Postby clickety_clack » 25 Apr 2012, 16:34

tboasis7 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm a teacher in Korea right now with EPIK but I'm planning to move to Taiwan to teach there instead since I love Taiwan. I have a BA and will have 1 year of experience teaching by the end of my contract in September. What is the deal? Just land in Taiwan and find a job when you get there? Seems pretty risky since I havent heard of anyone that I know doing it lol. Also, where would be the best place to stay while you are trying to find a job there? I havent really got any contacts there that could house me .... :(
Thanks

I just made the move from EPIK in Korea, to Tawain. I got a job with Hess http://www.hess.com.tw/careers/english/ which has it's pros and cons. It's very legit, being the biggest chain of schools in Tawan. It's a good place to start. I get paid less than in Korea, and work harder. If you can accept that, make the move! Taiwan is an amazing country!
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things ~
clickety_clack
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

7 Recommends(s)

Postby ZhongguoJoe » 02 May 2012, 22:07

Hey guys,

I've been living in Taipei now for over a year and a half studying Mandarin at Shi-Da and doing some English tutoring on the side. My Chinese classes have become borderline pointless and they bore the hell out me. I need a change, but I don't want to leave Taiwan for another year or so. I'm a young, pasty white, clean cut American guy with a BA in Economics. I've also passed the level 4 TCOFL. What kind of teaching English job will I be able to get if any? I've heard about a few bilingual cram schools such as ACES English and MoDaWei that I am very much interested in but it sounds like I would need more experience before I could land a job there. Also my visa expires in early June so I'm in a bit of a hurry. What are the chances that I can find a job by then? Thanks a bunch for any info!
ZhongguoJoe

In Taiwan since: 01 Sep 2011

Postby ESLinsider » 13 May 2012, 22:39

Yeah, I had about $2000 when I landed in TW. That seemed to work. Really push for the 2 month multiple entry visa though. They gave me a 1 month mult. entry visa. I had to fly out to HK 3 times before I secured a proper visa and ARC.

You have to show up in Taiwan to get a job. Few jobs to no jobs will hire outside TW. In my experience Taiwan generally has a lot more easier going work schedule than Korea's. But I suppose it depends.

Visas are pretty tricky in Taiwan and in China. They are way easier in Korea and Japan. At least that was my experience.
100+ how to teach English videos, which include: lesson planning, teaching tips, tools, icebreakers, ESL games, classroom activities, classroom management, fresh ideas + interviews with ESL teachers in Taiwan, Korea, China and Japan.
ESLinsider

Postby Tomicia » 17 May 2012, 13:36

Hello all,

My wife and I are looking with determination to find someone in Taiwan that can help us network and find a good teaching job at a good school. We are not looking for full time, but something that will help us get a working visa so we can make some money and enjoy Taiwan. So far we've been haggled left and right by recruiting agencies and we are beginning to think that it might be better to take the risk and just go to Taiwan and find a job after we get there. From everything we've read, networking with people you know is the best way to get a good job, so we are making a post to see if there is anyone out there who could give us a tour or help us set up an interview with a school for when we get there. If you know anyone that may be leaving Taiwan and the school is looking for a replacement, let us know. We appreciate any help we can get. We are excited to have an adventure in Taiwan.
Tomicia

Postby Lighthouse » 09 Aug 2012, 21:53

A NOTE OF CAUTION TO ALL NEWBIES..

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=72808
Lighthouse
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

2 Recommends(s)
In Taiwan since: 01 Jan 2012

Postby dotoriz » 15 Sep 2012, 13:38

frank_lemay wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a new arrived Canadian in Taiwan. I already have my ARC based on my family situation (wife and kids are Taiwanese). I do not have any uni degrees or English teaching experience. What are my chances to get a decent job and where should I look first to find one? Is agencies can be helpful?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

You can apply online to HESS or Kojen although they arent always the best paying ones.
dotoriz

In Taiwan since: 05 Feb 2009

Postby Joyie » 30 Oct 2012, 07:17

Hello everyone!

I've just recently become interested in going to Taiwan to teach English and I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on where I should first start.

I'm 22 years old with a BSc in Social Anthropology and an RP English accent. I don't have a TEFL Cert, since I've been told by a couple of people that they're a bit of a waste of money. I've had no prior experience with teaching, but I've generally always been very good with children and I'm constantly told that I'm one of those 'mother-hen' types. I'm not currently in Taiwan, since I was hoping to get all the official paperwork sorted out before I go there.

I've read a couple of the threads around the forum and it seems like quite a few people are going to Taiwan first before going out to look for a job - is this something I should do? I've seen a couple of posts saying that jobs are hard to come by now. Are my chances of finding a teaching job relatively slim? If so, should I look to teach on mainland China instead? I want to teach abroad so that I can learn Mandarin.

Any advice offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Joy
Joyie

Postby dude102 » 11 Nov 2012, 02:02

Joyie wrote:Hello everyone!

I've just recently become interested in going to Taiwan to teach English and I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on where I should first start.

I'm 22 years old with a BSc in Social Anthropology and an RP English accent. I don't have a TEFL Cert, since I've been told by a couple of people that they're a bit of a waste of money. I've had no prior experience with teaching, but I've generally always been very good with children and I'm constantly told that I'm one of those 'mother-hen' types. I'm not currently in Taiwan, since I was hoping to get all the official paperwork sorted out before I go there.

I've read a couple of the threads around the forum and it seems like quite a few people are going to Taiwan first before going out to look for a job - is this something I should do? I've seen a couple of posts saying that jobs are hard to come by now. Are my chances of finding a teaching job relatively slim? If so, should I look to teach on mainland China instead? I want to teach abroad so that I can learn Mandarin.

Any advice offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Joy

My understanding is that TAIPEI has a surplus of teachers, while other areas outside of Taipei may have a shortage. I could be wrong, but this is simple economics. I would try branches in the more rural areas of Taiwan.
dude102

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan