The newbie thread

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Total noob: How do I get started?

Postby ninman » 24 Sep 2010, 19:00

Went to the interview and got told the exact same thing that I've been told 3 times now. "We only have part time positions available so we can't get you an ARC". I just don't get it, how in the hell did everyone else get a legal job and a work visa?
ninman
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Postby tomthorne » 24 Sep 2010, 21:44

ninman wrote:Went to the interview and got told the exact same thing that I've been told 3 times now. "We only have part time positions available so we can't get you an ARC". I just don't get it, how in the hell did everyone else get a legal job and a work visa?

The market is very tough at the moment. The supply of teachers is too high, and demand in terms of number of students is falling.

As for how everyone else got a legal job; some sorted out a position with a chain school before they came to Taiwan, while others did what you are doing and walked into schools chancing their arm. It was easier to chance your arm in the past. I was out of Taiwan for a year and came back in May. I knew that it was tough to find work so I made sure that I arrived in time for the summer recruitment window. It still took me until the end of July to secure a full time job which started at the end of August. You are looking for employment at a much worse time of the year.

I can't give you any advice other than to keep on banging away, walking into schools. Eventually you'll walk into a school just when some flakey western teacher has gone back home and you'll land a position.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby ninman » 24 Sep 2010, 22:42

tomthorne wrote:
ninman wrote:Went to the interview and got told the exact same thing that I've been told 3 times now. "We only have part time positions available so we can't get you an ARC". I just don't get it, how in the hell did everyone else get a legal job and a work visa?

The market is very tough at the moment. The supply of teachers is too high, and demand in terms of number of students is falling.

As for how everyone else got a legal job; some sorted out a position with a chain school before they came to Taiwan, while others did what you are doing and walked into schools chancing their arm. It was easier to chance your arm in the past. I was out of Taiwan for a year and came back in May. I knew that it was tough to find work so I made sure that I arrived in time for the summer recruitment window. It still took me until the end of July to secure a full time job which started at the end of August. You are looking for employment at a much worse time of the year.

I can't give you any advice other than to keep on banging away, walking into schools. Eventually you'll walk into a school just when some flakey western teacher has gone back home and you'll land a position.

But if that's true then I wouldn't have had 2 interviews in the space of a week. I don't buy that the supply of teachers is high, there are far fewer foreigners here than there were in Shanghai. I think the problem here is that schools are tax dodging and trying to persaude me to work illegally. The problem I'm having isn't lack of job offers, it's a lack of schools who seem to be willing to play by the rules and actually register me as an employee simply because they don't want to pay their taxes.
ninman

Postby tomthorne » 25 Sep 2010, 00:44

That might be the case. However, it seems more probable that the schools simply don't have enough students to cover a full time western teacher and from a business point of view can only employ part timers. I doubt that it's down to schools trying to avoid paying tax.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby Dougster » 25 Sep 2010, 01:53

yes, the market is tough. However, there is still a demand for qualified teachers. At least at my school anyway. There are alot of teachers out there who aren't qualified, saturating the market. If you are serious about teaching EFL, get qualified, and your prospects will improve.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby ninman » 25 Sep 2010, 07:06

I am qualified, I have a TEFL certificate. Not only that, I also have Chinese language qualifications.
ninman

Postby ninman » 25 Sep 2010, 07:07

tomthorne wrote:That might be the case. However, it seems more probable that the schools simply don't have enough students to cover a full time western teacher and from a business point of view can only employ part timers. I doubt that it's down to schools trying to avoid paying tax.

They told me that up front. They said they'd only pay me with cash, I won't be put on their books as an employee, there would be no record of me at all. That way I don't have to pay any taxes.
ninman

Postby mooku » 25 Sep 2010, 20:25

Ninmen how did you get a TEFL cert without ever teaching before?
Forumosan avatar
mooku
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Dougster » 25 Sep 2010, 22:23

ninman wrote:I am qualified, I have a TEFL certificate. Not only that, I also have Chinese language qualifications.

Apologies. Then you shouldn't have too may probs then. If all else fails, relocate to Taipei.
"A pair of quadruple whiskys and a pair of pints please" Withnail
Forumosan avatar
Dougster

1 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby MilkTeaJack » 25 Sep 2010, 22:31

I have 15 years of teaching experience. I founded and co-managed a corporate training firm in the States and Japan. I have graduate degrees in ufology ($80) and humanistic arts ($140 and free DHL). There are other degrees, I think, and they cost a lot but its imaginary money from a student loan I don't pay. Also, I published white papers on blogspot. Someday, I am going to get a law degree in something. Probably law.
twitter: jackge

Do right by yourself, you'll do right for others.
Do right by others, you'll do right for yourself.
Then on your final day of reckoning, there'll be no blame for living the life you lived.
Forumosan avatar
MilkTeaJack
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

2 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Teaching English in Taiwan