Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Class Demos

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Class Demos

Postby jimipresley » 28 Jul 2010, 22:48

You just don't understand Taiwan culture.
You can live here and have a great life and not be the least bit into living the local life. Clowns will try to diss you for it saying you gotta get down with the program, but fuck em, treat this place like a buffet and yous be on a diet. Take what you want and nothing extra, slam those oysters, but leave the bread sticks and dinner rolls behind. - Deuce Dropper

I'm much more of a nasty rotter in real life, especially with vapid or vacuous verbiage from the ill read & intellectually challenged. - TheGingerMan

Don't be a cheap cunt. - Deuce Dropper
Forumosan avatar
jimipresley
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

992 Recommends(s)
374 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 29 Jul 2010, 00:57

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:
don't know how long the average demo is, because I've never done one, but my school (ThreadKiller's alma mater) requires a two-hour demo with two different classes. Oh, god, the suffering I've witnessed from aspirants and students alike!

A two hour demo? Why should the students be giving up one of their paid classes for a teacher that hasn't proven themselves yet? :loco:

If it's a two hour demo then I expect to be paid as a sub.

I pretty much bombed my demo and a couple of months later I watched a teacher do even worse in his demo. He was much more creative with his demo but didn't stick with the KISS method.

If I had to do a demo I guess I would do the first part of my lesson. Review the previous vocab, intro new vocab and then play a game. The game I've been playing regularly is a pass the paper game. The students move the desks into 2-3 rows of 4-5 students. The first student has the paper and writes the first letter of the vocab word when I say it. And they keep passing the paper until the whole word is written. And then I have then all move chairs and do the next word. The kids have really been enjoying this and it keeps them all involved and focused since their turn is coming soon.

But it really is the simple things that make students enjoy a class/demo. For example, ask for team names. Usually the kids will be quiet so start make suggestions like Monkeys or Bananas and all the students will yell nononononononononono. And then make them the nonononononononononono team. Everyone will be laughing and the next team will be saying yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes. Write in big letters, small letters, funny letters, curvy letters and they'll have fun. It really doesn't take that much time and you'll get the students attention for when you start teaching.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

121 Recommends(s)
127 Recognized(s)

Postby bismarck » 29 Jul 2010, 06:27

Yeah, I never know what to do with these bloody things either. Personally, I don't think they're very helpful. Plus, if you don't have an APRC or JFRV with an open work permit, they're technically illegal. Not that that will ever stop a buxiban laoban!
World Champions 1995, 2007; Tri-Nations champions 1998, 2004, 2009; Grand Slam Champions 1912/13, 1931/32, 1951/52, 1960/61; Defeated British & Irish Lions 1903, 1924, 1938, 1962, 1968, 1980, 2009
Super 14 Champions 2007, 2009, 2010
Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy and the lash.
Sir Winston Churchill

Second of all, as in all honeymoons, all is well until it is not. It is until the unexpected happens that you will see all grievances surface -ask anyone in any relationship. The girl can chew with her mouth open, that if you love her, you do not care. If you do not lover her, if her pinkie toe is half an inch deviant, the relationship is doomed. - Icon
Forumosan avatar
bismarck
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

150 Recommends(s)
143 Recognized(s)

Postby funkymonkey » 29 Jul 2010, 12:00

Shearersheed wrote:Two most important rules for a demo:
1. KISS: keep it simple stupid. The easier for the kids, the better.
2. Be confident, assertive, loud, and friendly. Don’t forget to smile, and you will do fine!

3. Don't do one in front of children because you can be deported if caught. :no-no:
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

Postby fenlander » 29 Jul 2010, 15:34

tomthorne wrote:You make happy. Sing song. OK?

you want me wear funny hat too? :bow:
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 29 Jul 2010, 15:57

fenlander wrote:

Yes. And make like monkey.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby emerihsoetihw » 29 Jul 2010, 20:36

To be a buxiban teacher, all your demo needs to be, is fun!
Act like a clown, make the students laugh, keep them happy, and the buxiban boss will love you.
Easy as 1,2,3.
emerihsoetihw
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 29 Jul 2010, 21:41

funkymonkey wrote:
Shearersheed wrote:Two most important rules for a demo:
1. KISS: keep it simple stupid. The easier for the kids, the better.
2. Be confident, assertive, loud, and friendly. Don’t forget to smile, and you will do fine!

3. Don't do one in front of children because you can be deported if caught. :no-no:

I was waiting for somebody to bring this up. Techincally, these things are illegal. Doesn't matter to the Buxiban owners though. They will want to see one to evaluate your teaching. The chances of police showing up during the fifteen minutes you are doing a demo at that particular school are pretty small. If you get caught, you are one unlucky S.O.B. I don't want to be standing next to you in a thunderstorm. :pray:
Some schools will allow you to do a demo in front of the managers of the school and maybe some of its Chinese teachers. This is a safer option. If they let you do this and you get the job, take it. It is a sign of concern for your welfare.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby fenlander » 30 Jul 2010, 14:01

tomthorne wrote:
fenlander wrote:

I do good moneky actions and can do lion roar too. you want me teach? one hour 800 ? Too mnay money? Can do cheap too but no monkey for cheap
fenlander

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Funk500 » 30 Jul 2010, 14:03

fenlander wrote:
tomthorne wrote:
fenlander wrote:

I do good moneky actions and can do lion roar too. you want me teach? one hour 800 ? Too mnay money? Can do cheap too but no monkey for cheap

you tomorrow wear the monkey too!
Forumosan avatar
Funk500
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

19 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan