How long did it take to get your first teaching job

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: How long did it take to get your first teaching job

Postby ThreadKiller » 11 Jan 2011, 20:38

Had my job lined up before I came over in 2000. Not the best job, but good enough to stay in for a few years.
"Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here." (Melvin Udall)

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." (Denis Diderot)

"I believe there's nothing we can know except that we should be kind to each other and do what we can for people." (Katharine Hepburn)
Forumosan avatar
ThreadKiller
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

99 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 11 Jan 2011, 21:59

It took me two weeks last year as a teaching newb in Kaohsiung and I'm lazy. FWIW (and it's important) - I'm a 32 yr old white male from the US. I'm also nicely groomed and professionally dressed. I did take a job where I worked Saturdays and was only able to avg 16 hrs/wk but everything else at the school was very good. It wasn't a perfect job but maybe the internet scared me into thinking there weren't any good jobs out there.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

133 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 12 Jan 2011, 00:33

Take a survival job. I am currently getting out of one survival job and into another one that will help me to survive a little better. If I told people about some of the pay and conditions, they would say, 'What the heck? Why are you putting up with that?" I would answer that it is about survival. The survival jobs may help me to last long enough to get something decent. :2cents:
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby BernardT » 13 Jan 2011, 11:28

Well I've been in Taipei since Nov 2010 and have been looking for a gig teaching business English to adults but have had no luck. I've been offered kindy classes but am not interested in that. Luckily, I don't need a survival job (yet). Perhaps I'll have better luck and the market will open up a bit after CNY.

Do you guys think cities outside of Taipei will be better ?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Live fast, die young, and leave a cute corpse...
BernardT
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Feiren » 13 Jan 2011, 11:41

I don't teach anymore unfortunately, but I am under the distinct impression that whatever adult teaching gigs are left in Taiwan, they will be in Taipei or Hsinchu. That's probably even more true for teaching business English. These are dying markets.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby danrunsfast614 » 13 Jan 2011, 13:09

Took me about 3 days from when I started to look to when I got my job, but this was back in 2008. Luckily I am still there, with the market as it is now, and all the horror stories I hear about.
danrunsfast614
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Charlie Jack » 13 Jan 2011, 16:44

I just tried to figure it out by looking at a 2002 calendar. I came here from Korea in 2002, and in the few days before I left Korea, I e-mailed resumes and so on to try and get the ball rolling. I was 48 years old then (and looked every bit of it). I'm a white North American (although with a somewhat dark complexion, and facial features that sometimes cause confusion as to my ethnicity/country of origin), but I was (and am) not very attractive, upbeat, or energetic-looking at all. Also, I'm not much of a "people person," I'm not much of a salesman/self-marketer, and I don't usually come across as Mr. Confident. In other words, I think by the criteria usually applied here, I didn't look or act like anything to write home about. From the day I landed here, I think it took a few interviews, maybe three demos, and ten or eleven days for me to get hired.

A little side anecdote: Some years ago, when I was being interviewed by a university department head while applying to enter a certain graduate program, I asked the department head whether he could give me an idea of the odds of my being admitted. He answered, "Got a pulse?"

I think that department head's answer could be applied pretty well to the cram school employment outlook when I came here in 2002. I don't know what things are like now, though.
Charlie Jack

1216 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 13 Jan 2011, 19:55

November 16, 2010 I was officially unemployed. I just got hired today.

It took three and a half months from graduation until I got my first teaching job in the States. Of course I graduated at the begging of the summer break, so it's not really the same. In other words, this is the longest I've ever been unintentionally unemployed.

*Edit: I should add that I was offered other jobs that I simply could not accept because of wages or hours that were unsuitable to me as a single mom.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 13 Jan 2011, 21:53

BernardT wrote:Well I've been in Taipei since Nov 2010 and have been looking for a gig teaching business English to adults but have had no luck. I've been offered kindy classes but am not interested in that. Luckily, I don't need a survival job (yet). Perhaps I'll have better luck and the market will open up a bit after CNY.

Do you guys think cities outside of Taipei will be better ?

I think it's going to be very difficult to find a job teaching adults. And even if you do find one I doubt it would be enough hours.
Abacus

133 Recommends(s)
137 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 13 Jan 2011, 22:03

So, there you have it. Two months. Of course I think much of this depends on what level you want to be employed at. A friend of mine just got fired today. He thinks it will be easier to find a job in the country than in the city. :2cents:
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan