What Did We Learn From Hillary Clinton?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby LittleBuddhaTW » 22 Dec 2003, 13:12

Boomer wrote:Try as you might I just don't see how the comparison between Hillary Clinton and Taiwan makes any sense.


It doesn't ... I guess they don't screen Ph.D. candidates very well for "logic" in the astrophysics program at University of California. :roll:

Tomyang, if you have a Ph.D., then I'd think you'd have learned how to make a logical argument and then back it up with solid evidence ... no wait, I forgot about how many theses and dissertations written by Chinese students in America are plagiarized ... nevermind.
"Rude, vile pigs!" -- Elton John (screamed at the Taiwanese media in September 2004)
Forumosan avatar
LittleBuddhaTW
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
 
Posts: 1795
Joined: 16 Sep 2002, 18:24
Location: Washington, D.C.



Postby daltongang » 22 Dec 2003, 13:28

Well there are different kinds of logic, Littlebuddha, for example the logic that most rational people subscribe to, and the logic of hysterics, ie they are not submitting to my patronization so I am going to launch into a series of nationalistic rants, blah blah blah.

What I want to know Tomyang, in fact I thought you were Thai at first :), who are the rest of these "100,000"? I might believe you were Taiwanese even though your opinions just strike me as well a bit different then the thousands of Taiwanese people I have met since coming here. But this business of the elite 100,000 is just a bit hard to swallow. Where are they? I haven't noticed them around here, that's for sure!
daltongang
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
 
Posts: 1194
Joined: 05 Oct 2002, 23:35
Location: Swamp



Postby Anonymous » 22 Dec 2003, 13:58

Your logics would easily overcome my Chinglish as long as you're willing to read my starting post. Come'n, be fair! Not only did I read every word you typed, but I also try to understand what you meant.
For example, I just did some rookie's homework and found out what Richardm's "Nancy Wu" is all about. Got a good laugh, too.
As you can check, I found this website and registered myself less than 20 hours ago. It took me a while to realize it's an all-white cafe in Taiwan! Welcome to the Treasure Island! Too bad I'm sending you greetings from the roads in deep Quebec... -20C here. Remember those "Oui ou Non" referendums in 80' and 95'?

I'll wait for you to re-collect and finish slingshots before I give my accounts on Taiwan's future. When it comes to democracy, my
one vote is no more and no less than that of a farmer in Tainan, except that I also preach :roll:
(now, pls don't come back and ask if I am priest!)
Anonymous
 
ORIGINAL POSTER



Postby Beachside Queenslander » 22 Dec 2003, 14:33

tomyang wrote:Your logics would easily overcome my Chinglish as long as you're willing to read my starting post. Come'n, be fair!


I think people have been very fair to you. Your first post was insulting, condescending and featured one of the poorest comparisons of circumstances ever made in the history of politics! Hilary Clinton and Taiwan? But you have failed to answer one question several times!

How would re-unification with China benefit Taiwan?

tomyang wrote:I'll wait for you to re-collect and finish slingshots before I give my account on Taiwan's future.


Oh, goody! I can't wait to read that!

tomyang wrote: When it comes to democracy, my
one vote is no more and no less than that of a farmer in Tainan


Does that upset you?

tomyang wrote:except that I also preach


Yes, we'd noticed!

tomyang wrote:(now, pls don't come back and ask if I am priest!)


Oh, but you do seem to have a faith! You blindly believe that Taiwan should re-unify with China. Why?

We need to see some reasons and you have not provided any reasonable argument.
Beachside Queenslander
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
 
Posts: 191
Joined: 30 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: A concrete box in Taipei



Postby sandman » 22 Dec 2003, 14:35

When it comes to democracy, my
one vote is no more and no less than that of a farmer in Tainan


But you'd agree that your vote and the Tainan farmer's vote are important to you and him, no?
Why, then, are you so keen to give up your right to vote, your life under democracy and live under an authoritarian communist regime? Oh, wait, of course, you don't have to, do you? You're safe in Canada. :roll:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)
 
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)



Postby Jive Turkey » 22 Dec 2003, 14:58

Tomyang, I have a few questions that might help us better understand your point of view. I noticed that you didn't include any military service in your personal history. I'm not automatically assuming that you didn't do your required military service, but I have to ask, did you serve?

I would also like to know if you:
a.) Hold a non-ROC/PRC passport.
b.) If you don't have non-Chinese nationality, do you have rights of permanent residency in the U.S., Canada or any other nation?

Also, I am assuming you have at least visited the PRC. How much time have you spent there? What places have you visited? What sort of people did you associate with when you were there?
Jive Turkey
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: 22 Sep 2003, 16:24
Location: Donald Tsang's Magic Kingdom
18 Recognized(s)



Postby Anonymous » 22 Dec 2003, 16:48

More denials here... but this Jive Turkey is very important and I have
to reply now.

You sound like my interrogator countryman? I've been waiting for you...
If you're indeed from Taiwan, I got on this mission of world-preaching
tour all devoted to you-- the genuine Taiwan traitor!

1. Yes, I did the military service in Tai-Chung.
2. No, I've had 5 good old "Republic of China" passports all stamped
up with visas & all that. No other passport. "Tom Yang" is the real
name on my passports, and your name is?
3. I have currently legal status to stay in Canada, but I'm leaving
with my 37' sailboat after outfits, continuing on my around the world & beyonds.
Check out my website if you're interested at all. I left US after more
than 10 years there. Think about it --- more than 10 years in the
States and I didn't bother the US citizenship or green card. Canada
is just another stop during my long trip.
4. This can be my weakness.... I've been to so many places but I've
never been to my home -- China :mrgreen: I thought I can always
go there later... and I need a good half year to travel around
anyway. On and on, ... never been there... Bizarre! Sure will visit
China next April after I visit Taiwan & vote the election.

What's next? You want to know how many "mainlanders" I've known all
over the world? A couple of thousands not including students. Did I
accept any money or goodies from the "Chinese government"? No. I
didn't open my mouth till very recently. They didn't know me. However,
if they ask for it tomorrow, I'll offer to work for them for free.

FYI, I voted for DPP candidate, 尤清, for the Taipei County Governor
and two others for different posts. I was all against KMT in my collage days for democracy.

More questions? Bring'em on! Many visitors here may feel embarrassed
of seeing your bold tactics of raising personal accusations. Welcome to
the politics in Taiwanese style!

You've just blinded yourself for all these years and refused to acknowlege the
sheer existence of ordinary people like me. You have no excuse to say
that you didn't see me. You have a selective eyesight of 70% reduction
to totally miss me on the streets.
Anonymous
 
ORIGINAL POSTER



Postby Mother Theresa » 22 Dec 2003, 17:27

You still haven't answered the most important question: in what ways would the people of Taiwan benefit from the unification of ROC and PRC?
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)
 
Posts: 12159
Joined: 13 Sep 2002, 07:53
Location: Taipei
14 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)



Postby sandman » 22 Dec 2003, 17:28

You have no excuse to say
that you didn't see me. You have a selective eyesight of 70% reduction
to totally miss me on the streets.


Um, I do have an excuse. Unlike you, I live in Taiwan so no, I haven't seen you on the streets. If you actually lived here you would also see that there really aren't very many people "like you" here. Maybe the situation in Canada is different.
And you still haven't told us why you want the Taiwanese to give up democracy and live under communism.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)
 
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)



Postby Big Fluffy Matthew » 22 Dec 2003, 17:33

sandman wrote:And you still haven't told us why you want the Taiwanese to give up democracy and live under communism.
I don't think the reunificationists want that either. They want the mainland to give up communism and take up democracy first. The KMT are no fans of the commies either. The didn't reunify under communism before Chen Shuibian and I don't see why they would afterwards.
Er.... thingy.
Forumosan avatar
Big Fluffy Matthew
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
Bodhisattva (pútísàduǒ)
 
Posts: 9618
Joined: 26 Jun 2002, 16:01
Location: Testing spoons
2 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Human Rights



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want -- BILL WATTERSON, Calvin and Hobbes