Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Beat Up By Customs Agent

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby AndyO » 23 Aug 2004, 22:34

Well since we only know what has been posted it might SEEM odd; however, if he actually threw the change on the counter and turned for the door, I doubt if the officer thought he was just walking out to find a bank. BTW, since you said you've had this problem several times before - didn't you clue your buddy to the fact that he would need more than the change in his pocket or how to 'handle' the guys at the overstay office?

As for the way you were treated by the U.S. and British officials, do you think their actions might have something to do with the way you were acting? Tell you what, next time you go to the U.S., and the customs guy asks you a question, just start belittling his career choice, his IQ, his family and then throw a pocket full of change on the desk in front of him. Tell us how he responds, OK? :wink:

What makes you think he was a "yank"?

He was rude, he had to be a yank..... :roll:

It's true. I've never met an arrogant Brit, Aussie, or Kiwi in my life. Salt of the earth they are.

Vanny, I never realized how much of your arguments are based on speculation from your rectum. As I've said before, I'm not defending my friend for being a dick...I'm just trying to get some discussion going here. I find it interesting that some of you seem to condone what I think is pretty irresponsible behavior. Now, I said he put the change down on the table and walked away. Not smart, but I know he wouldn't have thrown it down on the table. I wasn't there, but I know my friend well enough that he wouldn't have been deliberately combative and rash. He was frustrated and clueless.

And customs usually searches you based on the way you look, Vanny. I didn't go out of my way to be an asshole to them when I was walking by. Now if I had given them attitude AFTER they took me to the little room, maybe I would have met Mr Rubber Glove. But I've learned it's best to just cooperate and let the fingers wander. And Bob...c'mon, you can make a better "obnoxious foreigner parody" than that. weeeaaak.
AndyO
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby bob » 23 Aug 2004, 23:08

Gee I thought that was a pretty good "obnoxious foriegner parody." Satelite TV apparently thought I was serious!
bob
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

21 Recognized(s)

Postby brianlkennedy » 23 Aug 2004, 23:13

This one is easy; two idiots collide, trouble follows. If I was going to assign what in California tort law is known as comparative negligence to the two I would see it as about 75% customs slimeballs fault and about 25% nitwit foreigners fault. Put simply they are both in the wrong, although the cop (in theory) is supposed to be the adult.

Actually what caused the cop to get angry is the fact that the nitwit foreigner did not have much of a bribe to give him; pocket change is not much of a bribe especially since front line customs guy has to split the take with the higher ups. I hate to burst anyone's bubble but the (cough, cough) "fine" you pay does not go into the "general fund" (did I put that diplomatically?). Someday when I am safely back in civilized California and I write my memoirs of Taiwan I have a whole chapter devoted to the ROCs most corrupt government agency; ROC Customs. I even have some first person accounts to go in the chapter.

On a closing note, let me sit folks straight, lots of locals feel free to and often do tell the local cops (of whatever agency) to go piss off. I have seen it often, and often it can become quite the comedy show; bar maids throwing shit at cops and telling them (in both english and Chinese, at about 100db) to get the fuck out of their bars. The cops take the abuse and do not turn around and bash the locals. They are far more likely to bash a foreigner, especially if they (the cops) think the foreigner does not have any "pull". Special treatment depends on who/what you are; not on some local/foreigner division. Or to put it more simply the local cops are bullies and look for "weaker" victims.

Take care,
Brian
President and sole member of
The ROC Customs Public Support Association
brianlkennedy
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

Postby Tempo Gain » 23 Aug 2004, 23:50

brianlkennedy wrote:This one is easy; two idiots collide, trouble follows.

haha. well said.

If he'd tried that crap in the U.S. he'd probably be in jail waiting for a hearing - aren't custom agents considered law enforcement officers?

Even look at those guys the wrong way a minor beating will look like a picnic.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

Postby ac_dropout » 24 Aug 2004, 00:14

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/do ... 351350.htm

Well here's a case of a Chinese tourist being beaten by a USA boarder guard.

If your friend looks anything like that after his ordeal I recommend suing as well.

ac_dropout
Suspended (bèi jìnle)
Suspended (bèi jìnle)

Postby Flicka » 24 Aug 2004, 00:55

ac_dropout wrote:http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/English/doc/2004-07/24/content_351350.htm

Well here's a case of a Chinese tourist being beaten by a USA boarder guard.

If your friend looks anything like that after his ordeal I recommend suing as well.

Yes, well the difference here is that the US agent will probably actually do prison time.
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Aug 2004, 01:51

Flicka wrote:
Yes, well the difference here is that the US agent will probably actually do prison time.

if not for the horrible state that woman is in, then just for being so stupid.

ARRESTING MAN FOR MARIJUANA

MACING AND BEATING FEMALE CHINESE TOURIST

why do i not see the connection there?

seriously Flicka the two cases are hardly comparable.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

Postby AndyO » 24 Aug 2004, 03:10

Tempo Gain wrote:
brianlkennedy wrote:This one is easy; two idiots collide, trouble follows.

haha. well said.

If he'd tried that crap in the U.S. he'd probably be in jail waiting for a hearing - aren't custom agents considered law enforcement officers?

Even look at those guys the wrong way a minor beating will look like a picnic.

Punk muthafucka with a badge and a gun and it doesn't make it right no matter what nationality holds em.
AndyO

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Lord Lucan » 24 Aug 2004, 03:18

The immigration officer in question has been lucky enough to be able to indulge himself. Customs and immigration officers in the West dream about the week their most difficult customer is someone who throws his loose change on the counter in a fit of pique.

Both assholes. How professional was this IO ? Isn't there an element of proportionality ? Christ, in my working life if the worst I have to deal with is some guy throwing a girlie fit in front of me I'm landed.

If I was the IO I'd have had him detained. But you can't go assaulting people just because you've got a uniform. There are far better ways to make him suffer.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Tempo Gain » 24 Aug 2004, 03:20

AndyO wrote:
Punk muthafucka with a badge and a gun and it doesn't make it right no matter what ethnicity holds em.

fuck that its the judge that scares me.
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

309 Recommends(s)
304 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Human Rights