WISHLIST for legal rights in Taiwan

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Satellite TV » 07 Oct 2006, 20:56

[Moderator's note: I seem to recall that Satellite TV originally had two nationalities, and then renounced one of them in order to complete the procedures for ROC citizenship. Hence, his situation is something of a special case.]

Nope,

I had Australian Citizenship only which I renounced to become and ROC national. I have recently resumed Australian Citizenship.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Re: Dual citizenship please

Postby Satellite TV » 07 Oct 2006, 21:06

fenlander wrote: Most if not all Taiwanese in positions of power have another western passport in addition to their own Taiwanese one. So I really want them to adress the issue of dual citenship and not having to give up passport of origin for obtianing a passport of Taiwan. Dual citizenship rights. If you had these then the right to get involved with politics would be there anyway as you would have the same rights at the Taiwanese. I want to vote, and after all (1) I live here, (2) I pay my taxes, (3) have a daughter here ...... so give me the right to vote, OK?

If you really want to vote you can become an ROC citizen. I mean if you really wanted to you could. But you choose not to. As for most people in positions of power having dual nationality.... please tell us who all these people are ...

As discussed before most countries do not allow dual nationality. Just because yours may does not mean that Taiwan must follow suit.
Eric W. Lier wrote:
It's not based on race. It's based on nationality. The word "Chinese" can stand for more than just an ethnic term

That must be why there are so many ROC passport holders who are not Chinese. I have met two such people in the last 27 years here in Taiwan.

This just means you're short of friends .....
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV

Postby fenlander » 07 Oct 2006, 23:42

Satellite TV wrote:
fenlander wrote: Most if not all Taiwanese in positions of power have another western passport in addition to their own Taiwanese one. So I really want them to adress the issue of dual citenship and not having to give up passport of origin for obtianing a passport of Taiwan. Dual citizenship rights. If you had these then the right to get involved with politics would be there anyway as you would have the same rights at the Taiwanese. I want to vote, and after all (1) I live here, (2) I pay my taxes, (3) have a daughter here ...... so give me the right to vote, OK?

If you really want to vote you can become an ROC citizen. I mean if you really wanted to you could. But you choose not to. As for most people in positions of power having dual nationality.... please tell us who all these people are ...

As discussed before most countries do not allow dual nationality. Just because yours may does not mean that Taiwan must follow suit.

THIS IS A WISH LIST REMEMBER ? I could vote if I renounced my nationality and could never reside in my country of origin again. Most rich and powerful business people people I have met in Taiwan (I know a fair number) also all have dual nationality with either Canada or the USA. No Taiwan does not have to follow suit, but I would like it if it did ... THIS ORIGINAL THREAD WAS A WISH LIST REMEMBER ?
AS FOR YOUR OTHER QUESTION
ON WHO ? WELL OF THE TOP OF MY HEAD
Peng Ming-min
Shih Ming-teh
Yuantze,
Also in the 2000 ROC Presidential Election an estimated 10,000 Taiwanese-Americans traveled to Taiwan to vote in an election in which the margin of victory was 30,000, and both groups campaigned extensively in the United States and held campaign rallies on Taiwan to welcome their voters.
Ok ?

Finished with the wish list ... not spending more time on it now ... good bye and good night :D
"History is a people's memory, and without a memory, man is demoted to the lower animals."
fenlander
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

25 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 08 Oct 2006, 02:13

Satellite TV's Moderator wrote:[Moderator's note: I seem to recall that Satellite TV originally had two nationalities, and then renounced one of them in order to complete the procedures for ROC citizenship. Hence, his situation is something of a special case.]

The way I heard it, Satellite TV renounced his Australian citizenship, became an ROC citizen and then was able to reclaim his Australian citizenship. IIRC gov_attache did the same thing with his UK citizenship. Other countries don't seem to be as friendly about getting citizenship back after formally renouncing it.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 08 Oct 2006, 09:10

Eric W. Lier wrote:
It's not based on race. It's based on nationality. The word "Chinese" can stand for more than just an ethnic term

That must be why there are so many ROC passport holders who are not Chinese. I have met two such people in the last 27 years here in Taiwan.

Your statement proves my point. If it's based on race, then not even those 2 "non-Chinese" ROC passport holders which you've met would be included. Besides, all aborigines who decided to get a passport would be one of those "non-Chinese" ROC passport holders. The same is true for mixed children.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby sjcma » 08 Oct 2006, 09:15

fenlander wrote:
sjcma wrote:
fenlander wrote:Please lets do away with the overseas Chinese immigration channel at the CKS airport. It is an ugly thing to have in the 21st century. Why should a person with a Taiwan residency that has been living here for years have to line up in the non ARC passport holders line while a person based purely on race not nationality has their own special line? Perhaps they should give one to overseas Portugese and overseas hill tribes as well. This country does not exclusively belong to the Chinese race so why base things on race at all ?

It's not based on race. It's based on nationality. The word "Chinese" can stand for more than just an ethnic term. Ponder, for a second, the words Republic of China that's on the front of the passport. That'll probably clear up your confusion.

Please, let's not get into whether R.O.C. should even be on the passport. That's another topic altogether.

I think we are getting confused. At the airport there are three lines. (1) Taiwan R.O.C. holders (2) Overseas Chinese (3) Foreign passport holders
Why?

I am genuinely confused here, so please explain, I am too stupid ..... lol

The overseas Chinese line, which I believe no longer exists, was used for holders of ROC passports who do not have household registration in the ROC (meaning that they live abroad). Thus, there's extra paperwork to be checked (entry registration form) which is not required of ROC passport holders that have household registration. Simple as that.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Eric W. Lier » 09 Oct 2006, 15:50

The overseas Chinese line, which I believe no longer exists, was used for holders of ROC passports who do not have household registration in the ROC (meaning that they live abroad). Thus, there's extra paperwork to be checked (entry registration form) which is not required of ROC passport holders that have household registration. Simple as that.

Your statement proves my point. If it's based on race, then not even those 2 "non-Chinese" ROC passport holders which you've met would be included. Besides, all aborigines who decided to get a passport would be one of those "non-Chinese" ROC passport holders. The same is true for mixed children.

Sounds like Jim Crow to me!
http://www.jimcrowhistory.org/history/resisting.htm
Only an idiot would hold up the treatment of mixed race children in Taiwan as a symbol of fair treatment. :loco:
Since we are wishing for things that will never happen under the current regime, how about a Bill of Rights that includes all "the people on Taiwan".
Maybe even some Affirmative Action legislation and compensation for the past and present acts by the the ROC regime against thousands of "foreigners".
Eric W. Lier
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby sjcma » 10 Oct 2006, 05:00

Eric W. Lier, I don't know where you are headed with your posts nor do I know why you feel so threatened as to feel the need to attack me personally by implying that I'm an "idiot". All my posts on this topic is related specifically to the "Overseas Chinese" line at the airport -- an administrative issue in my opinion. Only you and God know why you felt the need take such a simple and narrow sub-topic and expand it into an issue of racial oppression.

I doth think you've taken my quotes out of context. If not, well ... I wish you the best of luck.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Eric W. Lier » 10 Oct 2006, 13:30

Eric W. Lier, I don't know where you are headed with your posts nor do I know why you feel so threatened as to feel the need to attack me personally by implying that I'm an "idiot".

Sorry! I suppose ignorant would have been a better term. I am sure you are quite competent in your field of expertise.
AIT just sent me a letter stating that I can't take my newborn daughter to see my family in the US unless she has a ROC passport. There goes any hope of a vacation.
All my posts on this topic is related specifically to the "Overseas Chinese" line at the airport -- an administrative issue in my opinion

Taiwan's treatment of mixed race children and "Overseas Chinese" are racial issues. Jim Crow laws were also defended as being "administrative measures".
Here are some more wishes for the wish list.
Formation of an equal rights commission composed of "the people on Taiwan" who represent ethnic minorities and given the authority to:
* investigate complaints by all the "people on Taiwan" and
* make criminal indictments for civil or human rights violations.

Here's another one,
* the right of self determination for all "the people on Taiwan".
Something along the lines of the right to refuse ROC nationality for all "the people on Taiwan" without the threat of being persecuted or deported.
After all foreigners aren't allowed to vote in US elections or referendums are they!!!!

Depends on the state. Most states will allow foreign residents to vote in local or state elections.
In Taiwan foreign residents can be prosecuted for just supporting a candidate in public!
Eric W. Lier

Postby sjcma » 10 Oct 2006, 22:00

Eric W. Lier wrote:
All my posts on this topic is related specifically to the "Overseas Chinese" line at the airport -- an administrative issue in my opinion

Taiwan's treatment of mixed race children and "Overseas Chinese" are racial issues. Jim Crow laws were also defended as being "administrative measures".

I'm sure you have good intentions but on this occasion, we will simply have to agree to disagree since we obviously cannot even agree on the topic of discussion.
Forumosan avatar
sjcma

3 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Human Rights