‘Do Not Pray’ lists prove popular

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Jun 2008, 11:11

DEARBORN, Mich. — Elias Al-Karim says he’s always gotten along well with his neighbors, who are evangelical Christians. But he was angered recently to learn that they had added his name, and the names of his wife and children, to Community Faith Center’s corporate prayer list. Elias called the church to complain.

"We do not want prayer from Christians, and we did not ask for it," he told a reporter. "It’s a violation to pray for someone without their knowledge or consent."

To ease tensions, the church did what many churches and ministries are increasingly doing: started a "do not pray" list. The list grew rapidly after Al-Karim alerted the local newspaper about his experience. Hundreds of Muslims, atheists, Mormons and even pagans called to have their names added to the list. Now when prayer requests come in to the church, names are checked against the list before they receive prayer.

"We have to respect people’s wishes," says the pastor. "If they really don’t want prayer, we honor that."

But many church members disagree.

"I can pray for whoever I want," says one member of the church who has started an underground prayer list and circulates it by email. "The reason they don’t want prayer is their minds are blinded. And that’s what I’m praying against."

Sharon Grumman, a self-described "blue-state liberal freakazoid" says she was furious to learn that a co-worker had put her name on Peace Lutheran’s prayer list in Scottsdale, Ariz.

"Who gave them permission to practice their religious voodoo on me and my children?" says the single mother. "I consider it spiritual harassment, even if I do think prayer is bogus."

Others feel the same way.

A devout Hindu shoe store owner in Cincinnati believes the prayers of a local church have hindered him from gathering great wealth.

"If I’m praying to my gods and the Christians are praying to theirs, the prayers cancel out," he says with evident frustration. He believes the church should reimburse him for lost revenue and has added his name to every do-not-pray list in the country. He believes a group of "zealous Baptist peoples" put his name on the lists in hopes of converting his family.

"I heard they were also praying for the country of India," he says. "My relatives live there, so I’m asking that they stop that as well."

Intercessors at churches with do-not-call lists say the policy impedes the spontaneity and flow of normal prayer.

"Instead of lifting people up to God, you have to do this bureaucratic thing right in the middle and search for their name on the list," says one prayer ministry leader. "It takes the oomph out of it."

Some angry people are calling for a national 1-800-NO-PRAYER line, akin to the "Do not call" line, to create a master list of people who want to be shielded from Christian prayer. But for now all efforts are local.

"It gives me great satisfaction to know that we are no longer being targeted," says Elias. •

Lark News

All prayers for my continued well bring are gratefully accepted...:grin:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Surly » 02 Jun 2008, 11:15

Can the summit of stupidity be far off?
Surly
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Jun 2008, 11:22

Apex of ignorance.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
------
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Mother Theresa » 02 Jun 2008, 11:30

Oh really? Some would call superstitious mumblings to non-existant beings the apex of ignorance.

And, people may have perfectly valid reasons to wish the Christians would mind their own damned business and keep their prayers to themselves.

Praying for a sick heart patient may feel right to people of faith, but it doesn't appear to improve the patient's health, according to a new study that is the largest ever done on the healing powers of prayer.

Indeed, researchers at the Harvard Medical School and five other U.S. medical centers found, to their bewilderment, that coronary-bypass patients who knew strangers were praying for them fared significantly worse than people who got no prayers.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... ray31.html
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Forumosan avatar
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

14 Recommends(s)
45 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Jun 2008, 11:36

If we add you to the list you're automatically entered into the drawing for a nice collection of Tupperware!
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
------
------
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Surly » 02 Jun 2008, 11:36

Quiet. I'm praying for you.
Surly

Postby sandman » 02 Jun 2008, 12:05

Before i lay me down to sleep
I pray for god to smite Mother Theresa with a mighty thunderbolt of righteous fury.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 02 Jun 2008, 12:09

√ - Sandman to the list!
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
------
------
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 02 Jun 2008, 12:17

Those daft bozos can pray for me if they want. Wasting their time, though.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 02 Jun 2008, 12:45

Religion irks me. But never so much as when one of them says they'll pray for me. Add me to your no prayer list all you forumormans and baptumosans.....I'm doing fine.

When oh when can we Terrans shed this shroud of ignorance called religion, and get on with healing the world? One can only pray...............
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Human Rights