What are the rights for expats in Taiwan?

Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: What are the rights for expats in Taiwan?

Postby Icon » 14 Jan 2011, 17:33

I've fought for immigrants rights here, thought maybe I could in Taiwan as well. No biggie that I can't, after all its not my place to tell them how to run their country. But I wouldn't mind being out there and being "counted" for what it is worth.

Great I read the rest of the phrase, otherwise, I'd be deaf from the bells ringing in my head.

AN, you have not arrived to The Island, yet you sound as if you were making assumptions and looking for a "cause"... which generates a knee jerk reaction. There are "expats/foreigners/permanent residents" here dedicated to noble causes, and if you use the SEARCH command, you will see that there are important issues that would benefit from enthusistic support. That said, usually those who participate have lived here a long time and understand that in Taiwan, as in any other country, there are rules and regulations and steps to take to promote beneficial changes, i.e. to amend a law/lobby for a cause. They also know there are certain restrictions, which are according to the limits of your visa, regarding political participation, and those laws are not draconian, they usually have such in most democracies regarding foreign intervention in local affairs. meaning no one would object to your waving a flag but one you stand up and make a speech you will be walking a fine line. If caught in a protest, yes, that would be stepping that line, and the authorities here would be in their right to boot you out.

Come, have a look, join a group for starters and see how you can benefit others from your experience. Just do not make it sound too steretypical as in reenacting Superman saving the world, which is the lasting impression.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 14 Jan 2011, 17:49

I've heard of rebels without a cause but a protestor looking for sth. to protest???? :doh: Besides who needs an excuse to cause a ruckus???
and, wouldn't mind going to a protest that I agreed with in Taiwan, wanted to know what my rights with that were.

:roflmao: do protestors get paid?
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 14 Jan 2011, 18:03

Icon wrote:They also know there are certain restrictions, which are according to the limits of your visa, regarding political participation, and those laws are not draconian, they usually have such in most democracies regarding foreign intervention in local affairs. meaning no one would object to your waving a flag but one you stand up and make a speech you will be walking a fine line. If caught in a protest, yes, that would be stepping that line, and the authorities here would be in their right to boot you out.

This is exactly what the original post was asking. He was asking the long-time residents what those rules are. Seemed pretty innocuous to me. And apparently a valid question, since it sounds like participating in a political protest can get you in trouble. Then he got jumped all over for using the term expat. :idunno:
When I lived in a European country in 2003, I went to a few protests against the Iraq war. Never occurred to me that a foreigner would not be allowed to do such things. I would have been pretty surprised to get booted out over it.
In the US, someone with a green card can contribute to and volunteer with political campaigns, and foreigners can participate in non election related political activity. So it's not like the restrictions on such things here should have been obvious to him.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 14 Jan 2011, 18:13

True, but an ARC is not a green card. It seems strange that the OP has already booked a "stand-in" here, but the people he has been in touch with have not told him it is restricted. That I found weird.

Also the tone of the initial inquiry, with th quotation marks, seemed to assume Taiwan was not free, or such was my initial interpretation. His statement came, as one would say, not with the boots on but kicking and screaming.

zyzzx wrote:
Icon wrote:They also know there are certain restrictions, which are according to the limits of your visa, regarding political participation, and those laws are not draconian, they usually have such in most democracies regarding foreign intervention in local affairs. meaning no one would object to your waving a flag but one you stand up and make a speech you will be walking a fine line. If caught in a protest, yes, that would be stepping that line, and the authorities here would be in their right to boot you out.

This is exactly what the original post was asking. He was asking the long-time residents what those rules are. Seemed pretty innocuous to me. And apparently a valid question, since it sounds like participating in a political protest can get you in trouble. Then he got jumped all over for using the term expat. :idunno:
When I lived in a European country in 2003, I went to a few protests against the Iraq war. Never occurred to me that a foreigner would not be allowed to do such things. I would have been pretty surprised to get booted out over it.
In the US, someone with a green card can contribute to and volunteer with political campaigns, and foreigners can participate in non election related political activity. So it's not like the restrictions on such things here should have been obvious to him.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
416 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 14 Jan 2011, 18:20

TAN -
And some of 'em get really pissy if you refer to them as...economic migrant workers....:grin:

I am a proud expat American :America: , married (thus have full working rights) who pays taxes here on the island and fully acknowledge the diversity that is universal in life as we know it!

And also, Taiwan is safely considered a "FREE" country. Some of that "FREEDOM" comes with a steep price tag; but its there for ya if ya want it.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 14 Jan 2011, 18:23

Icon wrote: It seems strange that the OP has already booked a "stand-in" here, but the people he has been in touch with have not told him it is restricted. That I found weird.

Huh? unless that's in some other thread or he edited something, I did not get that impression at all. He specifically said in the first post
Not that I am planing any such thing, just curious.

Granted, the quotes in "free" country can come across badly.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 14 Jan 2011, 18:36

There was nothing wrong with his post, just people being dicks on forumosa, as usual. I'd say they should let off some steam at an appropriate target - a delinquent bus driver for example - rather than the innocent OP.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

97 Recognized(s)

Postby divea » 14 Jan 2011, 18:45

BigJohn wrote:There was nothing wrong with his post, just people being dicks on forumosa, as usual. I'd say they should let off some steam at an appropriate target - a delinquent bus driver for example - rather than the innocent OP.

:lol: :lol: I am sure you know that delinquent means a young person - a non adult - under 18 years of age, right??? Sure you knew that!! I would love to yell at a 17year old bus driver, until then F.com it is. :p
"It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. "
- Leo Roston
divea

321 Recommends(s)
97 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 14 Jan 2011, 20:39

divea wrote:
BigJohn wrote:There was nothing wrong with his post, just people being dicks on forumosa, as usual. I'd say they should let off some steam at an appropriate target - a delinquent bus driver for example - rather than the innocent OP.

:lol: :lol: I am sure you know that delinquent means a young person - a non adult - under 18 years of age, right??? Sure you knew that!! I would love to yell at a 17year old bus driver, until then F.com it is. :p

A juvenile delinquent is under 18 years of age, yes. But is a delinquent account under 18 years of age? Delinquent in the face of duty means being under 18 years old in the face of duty? Whazza waaa?
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

97 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 14 Jan 2011, 21:16

Saaaaaavvvvvve us Cyber Knight!
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
178 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Human Rights