New Restaurant Finding Website

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

New Restaurant Finding Website

Postby schatbot » 10 Apr 2012, 10:39

Recently I opened a new website which lists food and restaurants in Taipei. It's got restaurants, bars, clubs, coffee shops, bakeries, douhua emporiums and other tasty things. The list of places is into the thousands but a back log of data entry began and I've been going through and posting them toat about 200 - 300 entries a week trying to make the information usable to Taiwanese and Foreigners alike.

Basically we're talking the normal details (name, phone, google maps/address) but it also tries includes some kind of copy of the menu. When they were worth seeing I included a set of blogs that show off the food, decor, and some honest food review. Some are even in English. I picked blogs that have good photos and you could understand what comes out of Google Translate if you don't know Chinese. That way you can know what you're in for before you go.

Oh, and since people usually try to find food when they're out (instead of at home?), the site is designed so you can use it on a smartphone.

Hopefully its easy to use, helpful, and a useful addition to the already great list here - plus, I obviously want to know what the community thinks!

http://www.taipeiyum.com
schatbot
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: New Restaurant Finding Website

Postby schatbot » 07 Jun 2012, 15:59

After a few months from the original posting (and some good feeback email) its worth an update - Taipei Yum got a face lift, a lot more restaurants, and now also features a small (but growing) list of restaurant reviews. Looking over the threads here on Forumosa there are a lot of people who have great food advice in Taipei.
If anyone were actually interesting in writing reviews bigger than can fit in Forumosa and having them published online without the hassle of a wordpress page, it'd be cool to have people share reviews on the site.

We also have added resources like a language guide for Chinese food words, articles about eating, drinking, and generally introducing food in Taipei, and just trying to make Taiwan feel more like home.
schatbot

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Tony the Tiger » 03 Aug 2012, 01:02

Can't believe no one has responded yet.

Very useful site, thanks for sharing.

Edit: I just noticed some of the listings are outdated. Like for western food at Taipei Main, it shows a Sababa there but that place has been gone for quite a while.
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player, Part-time English teacher.
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby schatbot » 03 Sep 2012, 01:47

I've been finding a few places that are outdated so far. Salt and bread also disappeared recently. Its incredibly helpful when people tell me when things are not where they should be. If you find more, be sure to let me know!

And thanks a lot for the positive feedback, hopefully you'll like the newest round of website upgrades that are coming out piece by piece.
schatbot

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Tony the Tiger » 01 Apr 2013, 23:47

The site seems to have gone down...
Born in Taiwan. Grew up in California. Graduated from Cal. State Fullerton in 2008. Studied Chinese for 3 semesters at Shi-Da. Decided to live in Taiwan so I joined the Taiwanese army as 替代役.

Full-time poker player, Part-time English teacher.
Forumosan avatar
Tony the Tiger

3 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs