Classy Veggie-friendly place?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Classy Veggie-friendly place?

Postby Xiongying » 10 May 2012, 13:56

Hi everyone,

So, it's been about 12 years since I was last in Taipei. I'm coming for a visit with my girlfriend (a vegetarian) in a week or so, and it'll be her birthday while we're there. She's really keen to go have a nice meal at a place that'll do well for a vegetarian. (It being a celebratory thing, we'd prefer non-self-serve, or at least not a weigh-and-pay cafeteria).

We'll be staying in the Shi-Da area -- my most familiar part of Taipei, but like I said it's been over a decade so I probably can't find a Family Mart at this point, and would definitely appreciate recs. We'll def. be willing to travel around a bit for a good place.

I've heard good things about Ever Green in Zhongshan and King Join in Da'an, in case anyone's been to those...

Thanks in advance to anyone who may respond!!
Xiongying
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Classy Veggie-friendly place?

Postby Rotalsnart » 11 May 2012, 14:39

Xiongying wrote:Hi everyone,

So, it's been about 12 years since I was last in Taipei. I'm coming for a visit with my girlfriend (a vegetarian) in a week or so, and it'll be her birthday while we're there. She's really keen to go have a nice meal at a place that'll do well for a vegetarian. (It being a celebratory thing, we'd prefer non-self-serve, or at least not a weigh-and-pay cafeteria).

We'll be staying in the Shi-Da area -- my most familiar part of Taipei, but like I said it's been over a decade so I probably can't find a Family Mart at this point, and would definitely appreciate recs. We'll def. be willing to travel around a bit for a good place.

I've heard good things about Ever Green in Zhongshan and King Join in Da'an, in case anyone's been to those...

Thanks in advance to anyone who may respond!!

If you really want to splash out and pay for vegetarian fine dining, consider this place:

http://www.yu-shan-ge.com.tw/html/d001.htm

Delicious food, beautiful presentation, service-oriented, and very expensive.

I really enjoyed the experience of going there once, and don't regret it, though I probably wouldn't go back again, because spending that much on vegetarian food felt a bit decadent.
Rotalsnart
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

91 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Re: Classy Veggie-friendly place?

Postby Mayan » 17 May 2012, 18:29

If you like Mexican food, the Mayan Grill has lots of vegetarian options, nice atmosphere, and won't break the bank. There's even a "romance area" upstairs we open on weekends.

I recommend the calabacitas flautas, marinated and grilled veggies (peppers, zucchinis, & red onion) rolled up with mild Monterey Jack cheese in two large flour tortillas, fried in soy (trans-fat free) oil. Yum!

Its right behind the Ambassador so if you took the train from Shi-Da (Guting) its a straight shot about 5 stops to Shuanglian Stn, exit 1.

www.mayangrill.com
Mayan
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs