South American or Puerto Rican food?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

South American or Puerto Rican food?

Postby PapaAzucar » 13 May 2012, 13:47

Any restaurants in Taipei offering South American cuisine like arepas, empanadas, yucas, patacones, ceviche, etc.
or Puerto Rican cuisine like mofongo, plaintain chips, etc.?
PapaAzucar
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Re: South American or Puerto Rican food?

Postby Icon » 13 May 2012, 17:35

One wishes, dear. Scuttlebutt has it that in Kaohsiung there are a couple of Paraguayan places, and there is a Paraguayan bar in Tainan, and that is as far as it goes. As you have seen, even Mexican food is rare. Yes, great business opportunity and all that jazz. I'll put up a stall selling pupusas in Shilin as soon as they fire me.

The rest of your requests, you can find in my kitchen/friend's kitchen on holidays and special occasions. No ripe plantains, though, we have to make do with bananas. :( Oh, and yuicca is smuggled from Hualian when the local aboriginal tribes sell a few -even though yucca flour is easy to find here. Arepa flour? Only what we bring ourselves.

Now, can I put up a few nasty pictures to share what we are talking about? :D

ps.
platano is not allowed for cultivation in Taiwan due to certain fungus, so, runor has it sometimes it is sold in Vietnamese/South East Asian markets, but I've never seen them in Filipino stores. Filipino stores do carry plantain chips.

ceviche should be a no-brainer, but in my humble experience, we do not get good quality cod here, we end up with shark which turns into chewing gum when added to ceviche ingredients.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs