Carnegie's - Food & Service

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Postby TpeBob » 04 Aug 2007, 12:14

Kahr wrote:I used to like Carnegie's and when they got some Indian food it was even better but not anymore. I went there last night and couldn't get in because of the 25 year old rule (a new world record?) which is fair enough for your main customer base, I guess, but then the Taiwanese door guy (speaking English) tried to insult me by telling me "the lady is fine to go in", yeah the lady is my wife... We won't go back there again.. the night went well anyway though, somewhere else. I think the 25 year old thing is an insult to any foreigner here aged 21-24. Not all of us are idiots.

The 25 year rule is long-standing (over 4 years) and yes, whilst it may seem excessive to some, it does work for both our regular customers and ourselves, so I make no apology for it. Also, within the last couple of weeks, there has been a clamp down by the Taipei City Government on the maximum capacity we are allowed to have within the premises and applying this in-house rule more stringently at my own insistence is one of the ways that our regular patrons are able to use the facilities. We have a membership system and having a membership card as a recognition of regular patronage is helpful in getting in, even though at times when capacity is reached it may be that they too have to wait a short while before getting in but they receive priority. The rule is not based on or targetted at any ethnicity either.

The above notwithstanding, I understand the contradictory remark of the person on the door and apologise to both yourself and your wife for any actual or implied insult.

If you wish, you can PM me and I can arrange a membership card for you both. We do have people below 25 who are members.

Sincerely,

Bob Marshall
General Manager
Carnegie's Taipei
100 Anhe Rd. Sec. 2
Taipei
Tel: (02) 2325-4433
email: carntpei@ms64.hinet.net
Forumosan avatar
TpeBob

Postby Kahr » 04 Aug 2007, 12:41

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your good customer service I retract my comments made earlier. I do enjoy going to Carnegie's so it would be a shame to not go just because of this. I can understand the pressure on you from the clamp down, the place I went to after Carnegie's was raided by the police who did a head count among other things. So I do agree with your rules also. Thank you for sorting this out so professionally and I'll be back again in the near future when my parents come to visit. :)

Kahr
Kahr
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Buttercup » 04 Aug 2007, 12:53

Had a nice Lunch menu chicken curry recently, with some of my forumosan muckers. The big flat bread was nice, and proper rice, not short grain rice. Chicken not that spicy, but that was fine for lunch. Don't really like that jam stuff, but that's just a personal taste thing; it's a little sweet.

Helped diminish the trauma of Heathrow having confiscated all my luggage, no doubt for their own vile purposes.

Lovely service, as ever, from Effie, who is an absolute gem.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby TpeBob » 04 Aug 2007, 13:31

Buttercup wrote:Had a nice Lunch menu chicken curry recently, with some of my forumosan muckers. The big flat bread was nice, and proper rice, not short grain rice. Chicken not that spicy, but that was fine for lunch. Don't really like that jam stuff, but that's just a personal taste thing; it's a little sweet.

Helped diminish the trauma of Heathrow having confiscated all my luggage, no doubt for their own vile purposes.

Lovely service, as ever, from Effie, who is an absolute gem.

Thanks for the kind words. We always use Basmati rice unlike most Indian places in Taiwan. Effie is great. Been with us for many years and ever energetic. Thought you were a Manc? Why not just fly direct ex Singapore or HK or through Dubai to Manchester instead of London; sure, it may be a bit more for the ticket but subtract the costs of getting into and out of London and it's about the same. Just a thought.

Bob
Carnegie's Taipei
100 Anhe Rd. Sec. 2
Taipei
Forumosan avatar
TpeBob

Postby Buttercup » 04 Aug 2007, 13:46

Ner, it was a last minute decision to go, 48000 for a Cathay Pacific peasant class ticket, with the BA shuttle from Manchester. (Yes, my mother lives 15 mins in a taxi from Manc airport.)

I think I would do just about anything to avoid Heathrow. It is the devil's stomping ground. Because some twat set fire to his shoes, everyone has to have their shoes X-rayed now, did you know? I enjoyed standing in that queue, especially. Luggage losing, nylon-wearing destroyers of Albion.

Anyway, off-topic.

All your waitresses are nice, helpful and efficient, but Effie is really great. It can't be an easy job, waitressing in another language, with a such big menu.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby TpeBob » 04 Aug 2007, 13:53

Buttercup wrote:All your waitresses are nice, helpful and efficient, but Effie is really great. It can't be an easy job, waitressing in another language, with a such big menu.

She waitresses in two languages not native to herself. Her first language is Bahasa (Indonesian). I think that Huang Guang Chen may have been the only person ever to have placed an order in Effie's first language. She told me a few years ago that at that time she had only learned Mandarin in the preceding three years. Clever woman. One of the nicest people I know actually.

Bob

P.S. Last minute or no, don't CX fly direct to MAN ex HKG (maybe with a stop in DXB)?
Carnegie's Taipei
100 Anhe Rd. Sec. 2
Taipei
Forumosan avatar
TpeBob

Postby Huang Guang Chen » 04 Aug 2007, 17:19

The indefatigable Effie! Seeing her bright smile as she bolted down the stairs to say hi last time I was over your way was fantastic. Saya cinta Effie!

In a region so bereft of good service* it really is solid testament to your management that you can retain legends like Effie.

:notworthy:

Well done!

HG

* Stumbling in early for the 3am ferry last night I attempted to slip past the ferry ticket dude to use the public toilet. He stopped me and told me I couldn't use it, so I pissed all over his little booth. It was very fortunate for him that: a) I wasn't in need of a dump; and b) by the time my brain conceived the idea of pissing in the tray where he takes the money, I was down to a trickle and couldn't manage the height. Mind you he obviously didn't know that when I shifted aim because he froze in panic and didn't have the wherewithal to shut the trap. I'm quietly confident he won;t obstruct access to a public toilet ever again.
I'm a wicked young lady, but I've been trying hard lately. Oh fark it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Forumosan avatar
Huang Guang Chen
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

15 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby Tigerman » 05 Aug 2007, 15:01

I'm just going to add to the chorus of nice things said about Carnegie's... I don't get there as much as I'd like to, but every time I go its just fabulous. My kid loves C's, and my wife loves C's. The food and service are examples of how good a place can be. The curries are outstanding... the lunch sets are fantastic... I've never had a bad meal there...

Sadly, this past Friday morning I lost all of my most important cards... my credit card, my atm card, my NHI card, my card key for my office, and my Carnegie's VIP card. I've taken care of the new credit, atm and office key cards. Next on my list to replace is my Carnegie's VIP card.
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

261 Recommends(s)
195 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 14 Aug 2007, 10:22

Oh HEY! I finally got round to trying the curry on Sunday.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

91 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby TpeBob » 14 Aug 2007, 18:31

irishstu wrote:Oh HEY! I finally got round to trying the curry on Sunday.

YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY.

I am indeed gratified that you seemed to have enjoyed it.

Bob
Carnegie's Taipei
100 Anhe Rd. Sec. 2
Taipei
Forumosan avatar
TpeBob

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs