Wendel's German Bakery and Bistro

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Wendel's German Bakery and Bistro

Postby maoman » 09 Jul 2004, 12:33

Jens Finke, in another thread, wrote:The place to go for authentic German bread and pastry is Michael Wendel's "Backerei & Cafe" in Tianmu. As far as I know he is importing the flour from Germany to get it right. It's on Dexing West Rd. near the crossing with Zhongshan North Rd, Section 6 in Tianmu. If you don't compare the prices to Germany, you can really enjoy it....

Michael Wendel's new place looks great! Unfortunately, I haven't been since he's moved shop, but I will soon! Click here for the review in today's Taipei Times, and here for the photo... :beer:
Forumosan avatar
maoman

ORIGINAL POSTER
76 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby miso » 09 Jul 2004, 13:09

Gosh, that looks like real bread!!

Why is it in Tianmu, I hardly ever get there....or does somebody from Tianmu work in Taipei and would care to bring me my croissants in the morning?....=)
miso
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Rascal » 09 Jul 2004, 13:39

Why is it in Tianmu, I hardly ever get there....or does somebody from Tianmu work in Taipei and would care to bring me my croissants in the morning?....=)

Croissants!? They aren't German as you surely know! :no-no: :wink:
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby miso » 09 Jul 2004, 13:58

Of course I know that, but I suppose a German bakery can make better French croissants than a Taiwanese bakery...or am I wrong?
miso

Postby Rascal » 09 Jul 2004, 14:10

Of course I know that, but I suppose a German bakery can make better French croissants than a Taiwanese bakery...or am I wrong?

Given the bread sold at the local bakeries even I could to better ... :D Not sure though if Wendel actually makes them.

Don't take me too serious, I can't think clearly in this heat....

Ok. ( :wink: )
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby sandman » 09 Jul 2004, 14:24

I wonder if he does bretzels with the salt crystals on them. And some weisswurst. And some sweet mustard. And a glass of weissbier.
Best. Breakfast. EVER.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Great Bakery,

Postby beatnikmao » 09 Jul 2004, 14:28

I live right down the street from Wendel's and the bread is outstanding -- I mean, it actually tastes like western bread. In fact, I buy all my bread from there. The desserts closest to the door are made by a Taiwan company and are lacking flavor, like most cakes here, but Wendel's does have their own desserts which are good.

As for the Bistro portion, the food is pretty common "Western" food, schnitzel, pig feet, and some pastas. Overall it is pretty good, but on the couple occasions I have went the service has been horrendous, even by western restaurant in Taiwan standards. I would recommend the place, but hopefully no more dishes, such as fired-rice and Kung-Pao chicken will slip onto the menu.
Forumosan avatar
beatnikmao
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

Re: Great Bakery,

Postby sandman » 09 Jul 2004, 14:34

beatnikmao wrote:I live right down the street from Wendel's

I wonder if you'd be so kind to pop in and ask about the bretzels for me? I live at the complete other end of town and Tianmu is so far away its like another country for me. But I'd make the trip if he was baking them (and serving them with weisswurst).
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby oily johny » 09 Jul 2004, 14:38

Do not go there for breakfast unless you want to be late for work. :fume:
oily johny
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Goods vs. Friendly service

Postby rooftop » 09 Jul 2004, 15:13

Used to buy all my bread / baking at Wendels but stopped.

The lady who is co-partner with Wendel - the older one with the heavy eye make-up is such a miserable witch who acts like shes doing me a favor by selling me bread - no more business for that place.

We Care is a chain. Admittedly Wendels does have some better stuff but I won't give momey to people who act that way. So, I go to We Care from now on.

I've always wanted to spread the word on that crusty-excuse-for a business owner and now here's my chance. Whoopee :bravo:
Forumosan avatar
rooftop
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs