Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Okonomiyaki restaurant

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Okonomiyaki restaurant

Postby Tetsuo » 28 May 2005, 02:20

Anyone know anywhere in Taipei that serves okonomiyaki (aka, somewhat erroneously, "Japanese pizza")? There seem to be plenty of Japanese places about, but none of the ones I've checked seem to serve this particular dish.
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Okonomiyaki restaurant

Postby daasgrrl » 28 May 2005, 11:51

Tetsuo wrote:Anyone know anywhere in Taipei that serves okonomiyaki (aka, somewhat erroneously, "Japanese pizza")? There seem to be plenty of Japanese places about, but none of the ones I've checked seem to serve this particular dish.

I've eaten at one, but it was over a year ago. It's the thing that's kind of all mixed up in a big bowl and cooked at (on) your table? Don't know if it's still there, but these are the best directions I can muster:

Go to the Sogo second store (the one on Dunhua, south of Zhongxiao - there's an MRT exit almost right there). You want the laneway that the north edge of the Sogo building is on. Walk west down it and it's on your right. It has (had) a small signboard outside and newspaper clippings describing the stuff - it's their main specialty, and all the tabletops have built-in grills for cooking it, although I think they sell other stuff as well.

I didn't actually care for it too much, but that's the only place I've ever eaten it, and we really didn't know what sort of sauces you were meant to add, etc., so it was a bit random. We just spotted it out walking, and it was something I'd always wanted to try.
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tetsuo » 28 May 2005, 14:15

I'll check that out.... it sounds like you might be talking about teppanyaki rather than okonomiyaki, but it's still a shot. Thanks.
You're going to listen to me? To something I said? Jesus, man, haven't I made it abundantly clear during the tenure of our friendship that I don't know sh**? I mean, half the time I'm just talking out of my ass - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Tetsuo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby daasgrrl » 28 May 2005, 15:03

Tetsuo wrote:I'll check that out.... it sounds like you might be talking about teppanyaki rather than okonomiyaki, but it's still a shot. Thanks.

Nope, I definitely know the difference, and it's the pancake/pizza thingy - because I *like* teppanyaki. Hope it's still there :)
Hotel Forumosa: Still looking for the exits...
Forumosan avatar
daasgrrl

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tetsuo » 28 May 2005, 15:14

Ah, sweet then. Definitely looking at it then. Didn't know they cooked okonomiyaki at the table - mostly 'cause I've never actually eaten it in a restaurant before. Thanks for the heads-up.
Tetsuo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby miso » 28 May 2005, 20:37

There is a quite new restaurant that specialiced in okonomiyaki. I don't have the address, sorry, but I'll try to explain.

across the street from the welcome, rose record on zhongxiao e. Rd. there is this little open space. at the end of it turn right into the alley. the restaurant is about the 3d or 4th on the right side of the alley. it was oishiiiiiiii
miso
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Postby Tetsuo » 28 May 2005, 21:26

What section of Zhongxiao?
Tetsuo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby miso » 28 May 2005, 21:46

Somewhere between Fuxing and Dunhua I guess, or was it between Dunhua and Guangfu? Sorry, 路痴.... :oops:
miso

Postby Tetsuo » 28 May 2005, 21:55

Close enough :lol:
Tetsuo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby lupillus » 04 Jun 2005, 03:31

In the tung hua night market, I think there was a booth that sold that. It's closer to the Keelung (Jilong) road side. It's a small booth with two stools and on the left if you are going into the night market from Keelung (Jilong) road.
lupillus
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

5 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs