the Diner

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

the Diner

Postby Candlelight » 22 May 2006, 20:04

I Just had the best Eggs Benedict in Taipei. :notworthy:

Great Hollandaise! Though I needed to ask for grated cheese on the side... They do breakfast all day oooh!

I think its newly open.

No 145 Rui'an St. 1st street along Heping East Rd at the NE Heping/Jianguo quadrant.
Candlelight
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Josefus » 22 May 2006, 21:46

I walked by this place when I was going to Gusto Hotdog. (across the street)
I glanced at the menu, and it was in English, and looked awesome.
I didn't try anything there, but I definitely plan to.
IMO, the more Western eateries here, the better.
Competition is good.

EDIT-Thanks to Dragonbones for providing this map!
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)

Postby gusbologna2000 » 28 May 2006, 16:21

I went here for breakfast this afternoon, and was really impressed. I had the two eggs with bacon, hash browns, and toast. Came with free refills on the coffee, an apple, and cranberry juice all for $150nt. And (I know this will be the kicker for a lot of people...) NO SERVICE CHARGE!! The food was pretty good quality too: organic eggs, and real hash browns. Well, I think they still used frozen hash browns, but they were the stringy type, not just the triangle-shaped ones. But the real kicker was the price, for $150nt, you can't beat it. It's not a big place, so I have a feeling once people find out about it, it's going to be pretty busy.
gusbologna2000
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby gcat » 28 May 2006, 17:05

I went there for all day breakfast yesterday, and it was good. Friendly staff, good food and low prices.
gcat
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Tigerman » 28 May 2006, 19:44

:hungry: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :uhhuh:

Very nice burger. RichardM, you might want to give this a try.

Tel.: 2700-1680
As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

232 Recommends(s)
156 Recognized(s)

Postby Nonsequitur » 01 Jun 2006, 16:47

Just had the Eggs Benedict there and it was as Candlelight said... excellent!

Definitely recommended for anyone who wants to have a very nice breakfast for a very nice price!
Forumosan avatar
Nonsequitur
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Richardm » 01 Jun 2006, 17:15

Tigerman wrote::hungry: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :uhhuh:

You said the magic word. I'll be sure to make it by soon.
Richardm
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby AWOL » 01 Jun 2006, 18:09

do they have salmon eggs b per chance...?
strudel sucking globenheimer
Forumosan avatar
AWOL
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

Postby Tigerman » 01 Jun 2006, 18:18

Richardm wrote:

You said the magic word. I'll be sure to make it by soon.

They have a double cheeseburger with bacon... my boy said it was good.

As it is, we seem to regard it as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has taken one side or the other. We regard it (in other words) as a positive objection to a reasoner that he has contrived to reach the object of his reasoning. We call a man a bigot or a slave of dogma because he is a thinker who has thought thoroughly and to a definite end.

Forumosan avatar
Tigerman
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

232 Recommends(s)
156 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 01 Jun 2006, 21:29

I didn’t think you were one for understating things. :wink:

Because of Tigerman’s remark and 4 emoticons (dead giveaway, he’s never used that many) I journeyed across town tonight to try out the Diner. The eggs benedict posts had appeal, but a comment of a “very nice” burger was a clincher.

the Diner was opened on May 8th by Amy and Dean (owners and operators), a late 20’s – early 30’s local couple. The interior is newly remodeled with a clean layout and seats 45-50 people. Non-smoking but there is a table outside. The menu options, light alternative rock music playing, and the customers/staff make it feel like you are in a diner in a college town but better.

They follow the KISS principle and it works. The menu consists mainly of breakfast classics (eggs, breakfast burrito, salmon hash, and the eggs benedict, etc.) which are $150-280, Omelettes/Omelets (Denver, vegetarian, cheese and bacon, etc.) $180-240, burgers/sandwiches (hamburger, gardenburger, mushroom & Swiss cheese burger, and the Jumbo Burger) $120-230. The basic hamburger is $120 but you can add cheese and/or bacon for $30 each.

They also have other options such as Philly steak, tuna melt, club sandwich, country fried steak, meatloaf, etc. As well, they have desserts (apple pie, pecan pie, cheese cake, strawberry shortcake, ice cream sundae, etc.)

The beverage selection includes A&W root beer, Coke, and others. Beers that are available include the usual suspects (Heineken, Budweiser, Boddingtons, and San Miguel).

Now that I’ve got the basics out of the way, on to the good parts.

the Diner’s catch-phrase is “Comfort on a Plate” and boy they got that right.

I immediately spied the “Jumbo Burger” which is a double patty, double cheese, and double bacon hamburger. Fans of In and Out’s double-double beware. This is the real deal. Two thick handmade all-beef patties with each patty topped with a slice of cheese and two strips of bacon. Note that the bacon is on each patty not just on the top patty. Therefore, the Jumbo Burger is a double-double-double.

I’ll go on record as saying that the Jumbo Burger I had at the Diner tonight was the best burger/cheeseburger/bacon cheeseburger that I have ever had in Taiwan (outside my own bbq special burger). The patty is all beef meaning no garlic, no onions, no filler or other spices mixed in with the meat. We just found out the answer to “Where’s the beef?”.

I’ll definitely be back to try the breakfast/brunch items. They said they are working on a corned beef hash!

A couple of notes:
1. The burger comes medium well by default meaning that it is still pink inside. This is how I like it, but if you like it well done be sure to tell them first.

2. The bacon is also medium well so if you like it crispy or well done, tell them. It isn’t bacon sashimi like Mei-Er-Mei but it isn’t brown either.

A special note:

One customer next to me ordered a hamburger and when it came he asked if it was all beef. Amy told him that it was. He looked again at the burger. Amy immediately asked him if he wanted to change his order! (I’m sitting there incredulously as the burger with Swiss cheese that he ordered looked great. Did he want the beef “watered down” with soy filler?) He said no that it was okay. She asked him at least 5 more times if he wanted to change to something else. Now I know you might say it was a face thing, but it wasn’t (well maybe on the customer’s side). She was truly sincere. This type of service should be applauded. I left before I saw whether or not he changed his order. However, I did overhear the reason for the confusion. It appears he thought a hamburger was made from pork. (I hadn’t thought of that before, maybe we should all check to see if this is a common misconception.)

Service was prompt and friendly.

After one try, I probably won’t consider ordering a burger anywhere else in town.

Richardm your cheeseburger thread can now be lock. Go right now and have the Jumbo Burger.

They are right across the street from Gusto Hot Dogs.

the Diner
145 Rui-an Street
2700-1680

Closed Mondays
English menu and English speaking staff

Thanks Tigerman! Next time I see you (or should I say Tigerboy) a pint (or two) is on me.

:beer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: and if I had more thumbs I'd add another thumbsup or two.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

61 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs