KGB Kiwi Gourmet Burgers

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Re: KGB Kiwi Gourmet Burgers

Postby cfimages » 13 Feb 2012, 23:10

Why are we talking about Americans. It is Kiwi Gourmet Burgers after all. Shouldn't we be criticizing the palates of the sheepshaggers New Zealanders ? :D
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

153 Recommends(s)
164 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 14 Feb 2012, 00:40

Went again tonight.
Brought yet another new person there- which makes 4 people total in about 4 months.

I should be getting a commission for this extra traffic I'm throwing KGB's way haha
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 15 May 2012, 18:58

I've been thinking a lot about beetroot recently. I'm not sure why. Maybe simply because summer is around the corner and my antipodean sensibilities consider it worth placing in my consciousness. I realized the other day that I hadn't eaten beet in a very, very long time. Years, perhaps. But where do you buy beetroot in Taiwan? :ponder:

Then today, when exiting Taipower Station, my girlfriend said, 'I'm really hungry! I'm so hungry I could eat a KGB burger!'

Then it dawned on me: the trans-Tasman love affair with beetroot on burgers. :discodance:

So we went to KGB and sat down and I quickly found a burger with beetroot on the menu. Yeah baby! :discodance: When I placed my order I was actually nervous that the pretty young waitress would say, 'I'm sorry, but we've just run out of beetroot!' But she didn't. She just repeated my order back to me to make sure she had heard correctly. Beet, at that moment, became a certainty.

While waiting for our food I explained to my girlfriend the history of beetroot. I felt it was important that she understand what I was about to eat. Really, really important. I talked about the sea beet which grows wild in the Balkans. I described the genetic relationship between beetroots and radishes. I spoke briefly on beetroot's historical pedigree: that the therapeutic properties of beet are related in the Talmud, that a red beet was described by none other than Aristotle, and I even quoted John Gerard, who said that beetroot juice “conveighed up into the nostril doth gently draw forth flegme, and purgeth the head”.

I explained that my grandpa grew beets and I used to eat them.

So we were primed. I told my girlfriend that I would share my beets with her.

Then I was served this.

Now, I'm not going to say anything bad about Sir Edmund Hillary or mention sheep per capita ratios (10:1) or remind anyone that Phar Lap's heart is on display in the National Museum of Australia, but I will say that I have seen bigger slices of beetroot before.

I'll assume my vanishingly small slice of beet has nothing to do with Trevor Chappell.
X

This post was recommended by 2 Forumosans: jimipresley (15 May 2012, 22:28), John (15 May 2012, 19:39)
Rating: 11.76%
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

142 Recommends(s)
126 Recognized(s)

Postby Deuce Dropper » 15 May 2012, 21:54

ate there recently. not bad, not bad at all. Bit skimpy with the fries though, and that made me sad.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

75 Recommends(s)
367 Recognized(s)

Postby aahz » 02 Jun 2012, 09:20

I have to give this place totally awesome props.
They have great little chicken fingers thingies which have a nice tangy sauce.
They have pretty good milkshakes! They even did a blend not on the menu for me... I'm a sucker for peanut butter chocolate milkshakes.
But most impressively, their vegetarian patty is AWESOME! I don't even like veggie stuff and I prefer that to anything else. It's to the point where if I'm going there I can't pick anything else...
And, to take a moment to be way too chauvinistic, one of the waitresses is probably one of the most beautiful women I've seen in Taipei. I have a problem talking to her...
Forumosan avatar
aahz
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recognized(s)

KGB Kiwi Gourmet Burgers

Postby headhonchoII » 02 Jun 2012, 10:21

Peanut butter chocolate milkshakes.... Oh sweet Jesus Save us.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1301 Recommends(s)
503 Recognized(s)

Postby Bu Lai En » 02 Jun 2012, 10:40

aahz wrote:I have to give this place totally awesome props.
They have great little chicken fingers thingies which have a nice tangy sauce.
They have pretty good milkshakes! They even did a blend not on the menu for me... I'm a sucker for peanut butter chocolate milkshakes.
But most impressively, their vegetarian patty is AWESOME! I don't even like veggie stuff and I prefer that to anything else. It's to the point where if I'm going there I can't pick anything else...
And, to take a moment to be way too chauvinistic, one of the waitresses is probably one of the most beautiful women I've seen in Taipei. I have a problem talking to her...

I always ask for caramel-peppermint milkshakes, also off-menu.
I have news. Good news from Notting Hill. The consignment of white gold for Mr Anderson has arrived.

http://theboolion.wordpress.com/ Image
Forumosan avatar
Bu Lai En
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Jun 2012, 11:38

headhonchoII wrote:Peanut butter chocolate milkshakes.... Oh sweet Jesus Save us.

That's awesome. I am going there as soon as I get back. Haven't had peanut butter since March 18.
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

Postby Ex Animo » 02 Jun 2012, 12:26

You need to get out more, Muzha Man—keeping note of the dates when you eat peanut butter? :lol:

How are the veggie patties at KGB now? They used to be soft and squishy, like mashed potato, so I haven't been going there. But if the patties are nice and firm now, I'll be back with bells on!
sean@thesanctuarytaiwan.org / 0920 620109

Call me for emergency animal rescue; any time of day or night is fine for real emergencies
Forumosan avatar
Ex Animo
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

24 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby Mucha Man » 02 Jun 2012, 19:40

Ex Animo wrote:You need to get out more, Muzha Man—keeping note of the dates when you eat peanut butter? :lol:

I get out plenty thank you very much. Which is why I haven't had a pb sandwich in so long. :cry: I know the exact date because that's when I left Taiwan. Actually I should change it to March 11 as the last week was without pb too as costco had run out.

Hmm, maybe I do need a richer life. :ponder:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

635 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs