El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu (Closed)

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Re: El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu

Postby kuoocc » 18 Dec 2009, 15:04

Mexican Food uses cheese. Have you ever heard of a quesadilla?
Here's an example of real Mexican cheese:
http://z.about.com/d/mexicanfood/1/0/y/3/Frycheese1.jpg

I love El Gallo's Tortilla soup. It's an ancient recipe and hit the spot!

Thank you Isa!
Teresa Kuo, Registered Travel Agent
Office:02-2521-2050 Fax:02-8192-6640 Mobile:0939-453-529
http://www.motherteresatravel.com (That's Teresa with no "h"!)
Forumosan avatar
kuoocc
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

Postby Icon » 18 Dec 2009, 16:25

Now, let's agree there is "cheese" and then there is really delicious, fresh, old-fashioned cheese.

There are cheese tacos, by the way, at least, in Central America we do them diferently: take the tortilla, take the fresh cheese, warp it up in the tortilla, fry the whole thing, enjoy. That's a cheese taco for me.

Now, the one we use most widely in Latin American food is fresh cheese, that is soft and mushy, crumbled with your fingers and melts into a single sticky glory. It is fragrant but not stinky. Ahhh...
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

732 Recommends(s)
573 Recognized(s)

Postby Gifthorse » 24 Dec 2009, 22:51

OK, I did look up the cheese thing on Wiki a few weeks back and found out that most areas in Mexico use cheese.

But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas--they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side. All things considered, I thought the portion of meat was pretty tiny considering the price, and the meat didn't taste grilled. The service was excellent, as was the atmosphere AND I LOVED the chips and salsa. But it was pricey, and we were both hungry 2 hours later.

For fajitas I still love Yuma, and they give you TONS of meat!!
Gifthorse
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby yaoshema » 25 Dec 2009, 00:08

YUM! MUY DELICIOSO!!! WIsh i could make the all you can eat TACO NIGHTS on Tuesday!
Live life like you mean it.

Wanna contribute to an award-winning online magazine in Taiwan? The Wild East Magazine is looking to expand its team of writers, coverage of local issues, and include other countries in Greater China. We welcome submissions the newspapers can't/won't publish. Check out http://www.thewildeast.net/news and contact us if interested.
Forumosan avatar
yaoshema
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

Postby kuoocc » 25 Dec 2009, 11:37

Gifthorse wrote:OK, I did look up the cheese thing on Wiki a few weeks back and found out that most areas in Mexico use cheese.

But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas--they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side. All things considered, I thought the portion of meat was pretty tiny considering the price, and the meat didn't taste grilled. The service was excellent, as was the atmosphere AND I LOVED the chips and salsa. But it was pricey, and we were both hungry 2 hours later.

For fajitas I still love Yuma, and they give you TONS of meat!!

Let's face it, Yuma is a little better than El Gallo when it comes to value. Yuma is in Taipei. El Gallo is in Tianmu, a more upscale area. I think the food is quite authentic.
Forumosan avatar
kuoocc

Postby Dragonbones » 25 Dec 2009, 12:36

Yuma isn't a Mexican restaurant. They don't serve tamales, Aztec soup, mole and so on. The comparison isn't relevant IMO.

I miss eating at El Gallo -- we'll have to make the long trek soon!
NEW! Better for you! This post is now carb-conscious, low-fat, and gluten-free!
Forumosan avatar
Dragonbones
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

39 Recommends(s)
112 Recognized(s)

Postby BroonAle » 25 Dec 2009, 22:38

Gifthorse wrote:But at El Gallo when I ordered Fajitas--they DID NOT come with cheese. I had to order that on the side.

First you asserted that Mexican food doesn't come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn't come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese. I have never had or seen fajitas with cheese on top. You seem to be thinking like a typical all-knowing American and getting the Tex Mex thing and Mexican thing mixed up.

BroonAsada
BroonAle
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby kuoocc » 28 Dec 2009, 16:16

Dragonbones wrote:Yuma isn't a Mexican restaurant. They don't serve tamales, Aztec soup, mole and so on. The comparison isn't relevant IMO.

Why don't you move the Yuma talk over to the Yuma thread! This thread is to praise El Gallo, and Isa.
Forumosan avatar
kuoocc

Postby kuoocc » 28 Dec 2009, 16:17

BroonAle wrote:First you asserted that Mexican food doesn't come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn't come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese.
BroonAsada

My partner worked in a Mexican restuarant in California. California used to be mexico. My partner says that fajitas there don't come with Cheese. Not all Mexicans can afford cheese.
Forumosan avatar
kuoocc

Postby BroonAle » 29 Dec 2009, 03:43

kuoocc wrote:
BroonAle wrote:First you asserted that Mexican food doesn't come with cheese, when clearly cheese is widely used in Mexico and then you complain that your fajitas didn't come with cheese. NOT ALL Mexican food is smothered with cheese.
BroonAsada

My partner worked in a Mexican restuarant in California. California used to be mexico. My partner says that fajitas there don't come with Cheese.

That's what I said; fajitas don't come with cheese. But Gifthorse seems to think that they should despite contradicting his/herself about the use of cheese in Mexican food.

BroonArrachera
BroonAle

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs