El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu (Closed)

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

Re: New Mexican Restaurant in Taipei " ELGALLO "

Postby El Toro » 16 Apr 2009, 09:39

Oh man, I went last week and their fare is top notch! Definitely be back!
El Toro
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Re: New Mexican Restaurant in Taipei " ELGALLO " Mariachi

Postby El Gallo » 13 May 2009, 09:34

Hello!

Welcome to enjoy a mariachi duo this coming friday night from 7 to 10pm. No entrance fee, just want you wanna eat or drink, come and unwind, feel Mexico, right here in Taiwan!

For an authentic Mexican food experience, visit " El Gallo Mexican Restaurant " In Tianmu, Taipei. Open since September 2008. For more info check our website: http://www.elgallotw.com Tel. 0228741366 email: elgallotw@hotmail.com Text MSG: 0927116121 Image
El Gallo
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Gifthorse » 06 Jul 2009, 17:51

I went to this restaurant last night with my girlfriend. We were impressed with the service, and the atmosphere, but left not really impressed with the food.

Maybe I just like tex mex or something. The fajitas I ordered had a meager portion of chicken that didn't appear to be grilled. My gf ordered an enchilada. I was expecting more spicy flavor. We didn't care for the ground beef in the enchilada. Just tasted salty and bland.

I am aware authentic Mexican food doesn't use cheese- well they were very nice and brought me a small bowl of shredded cheese. Overall, it took us over an hour to get there, and we left thinking that it wasn't as good as some other places we enjoy.

I am not comparing authenticity. Frankly I have no idea because I haven't been to Mexico. But I think our general feeling was that we will go to Yuma when we want western food. Yuma's fajitas are roughly the same price, but they serve enough food for 2 people, and they come with cheese. Also it is grilled, and the quality of meat is excellent. At Yuma we spent like $950 and got 2 sodas, dessert, on top of 'The Three Amigos' fajitas, and a Caesar salad. We both left completely stuffed.

At El Gallo we ordered our dishes, a bland appetizer that had little taste ($200), and left paying $1200 for far less food.

Oh well, everyone likes different stuff.
Gifthorse
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Try el Gallo's Taco Carnival! Every Tuesday night!

Postby El Gallo » 28 Nov 2009, 18:56

Hello friends, I invite you to try el Gallo's Taco Carnival this and every Tuesday!
Great buffet!

Cheers!

Isa :cactus: :thumbsup: :whistle: :discodance: :bravo: :lick:
For an authentic Mexican food experience, visit " El Gallo Mexican Restaurant " In Tianmu, Taipei. Open since September 2008. For more info check our website: http://www.elgallotw.com Tel. 0228741366 email: elgallotw@hotmail.com Text MSG: 0927116121 Image
El Gallo
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Re: El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu

Postby El Gallo » 16 Dec 2009, 14:34

Hello dear friends, I would like to wish you the best holiday season ever!

Please consider coming to el Gallo for Xmas Eve Celebration. We will have one dinner party on the 24th and one on the 26th. Here is the invitation for the 24th:

Cheers!

el Gallo
El Gallo
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby BroonAle » 16 Dec 2009, 21:02

Gifthorse wrote:I am aware authentic Mexican food doesn't use cheese

Bollocks.

BroonAsada
BroonAle
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

1 Recognized(s)

Re: El Gallo - Mexican restaurant in Tianmu

Postby occhimarroni » 16 Dec 2009, 22:15

I went to this place once a couple weeks ago and was left completely unimpressed. I had the chicken mole and thought it was quite bland and pretty skimpy on the vegetables. Also, the service seemed sincere but all together not very good considering they forgot everything we asked for (a doggy bag, margarita, etc.) and brought us the wrong order.
Perhaps I am too picky though since I grew up in El Paso/Ciudad Juarez and my step mother is from Ciudad Chihuahua so I know a good mole when I taste one.
I'll let it slide though if you can make some tacos al pastor like the real chilangos do then I'd be back in a heartbeat! Otherwise I'm off to Danshui try out that Cantina place.

On that note - Authentic Mexican food most certainly does use cheese ( not always on tacos) but it is fresh white cheese - i.e. queso panela. So you won't find things drenched in cheddar or monterey jack like you do with tex-mex.
"Hoy yo, como ficha del imperio yanqui, me siento obligado de romper relaciones dimplomaticas con el senor Hugo Chavez. Como muy pronto me voy para leer el MBA en los EEUU, el hogar del diablo capitalista , llegue a conclusion que voy al camino basurero de la historia y estoy enfermo de odio. Porque si no aceptas todo loque dice el senor Chavez, claramente eres un mamon." - ME
"Al acabo de los anos he observado que la belleza, como la felicidad, es frecuente. No pasa un dia en que no estemos, un instante, en el paraiso." - Jorge Luis Borges
Forumosan avatar
occhimarroni
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby occhimarroni » 16 Dec 2009, 22:20

Modest Mouse wrote:I've never had "New Mexican" food before...unless you are talking about Tex-Mex. I'll have to try it out :p

Then you've never had Green Chile! And no it's not Tex-Mex.
"Hoy yo, como ficha del imperio yanqui, me siento obligado de romper relaciones dimplomaticas con el senor Hugo Chavez. Como muy pronto me voy para leer el MBA en los EEUU, el hogar del diablo capitalista , llegue a conclusion que voy al camino basurero de la historia y estoy enfermo de odio. Porque si no aceptas todo loque dice el senor Chavez, claramente eres un mamon." - ME
"Al acabo de los anos he observado que la belleza, como la felicidad, es frecuente. No pasa un dia en que no estemos, un instante, en el paraiso." - Jorge Luis Borges
Forumosan avatar
occhimarroni

2 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 17 Dec 2009, 09:27

BroonAle wrote:

Bollocks.

BroonAsada

Cheddar and other yellow sticky things do not count as cheese. Cuajada does.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

624 Recommends(s)
495 Recognized(s)

Postby BroonAle » 18 Dec 2009, 11:52

Icon wrote:
BroonAle wrote:

Bollocks.

BroonAsada

Cheddar and other yellow sticky things do not count as cheese. Cuajada does.

Nothing wrong with cheddar cheese per se; I was disagreeing with the Gifthorse's assertion that Mexican food doen't use cheese when the belch I have just had after eating at local taco stand clearly had a faint cheesy nuance, primarily due to the fact that the tacos consumed contained cheese. However, I have said elsewhere that Mexican cheese is, on the whole, rather bland irrespective of it's good melting properties and myriad names.

Milk and yoghurt is cheap, plentiful and varied in Mexico so all is not lost on the dairy front.

BroonArrachera
BroonAle

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs