Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Middle Eastern Restaurants in Taipei?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Re: Middle Eastern Restaurants in Taipei?

Postby ImaniOU » 08 Jun 2009, 19:23

I have a slight emergency. I was planning to take my 4th graders to Mykonos as an end-of-the-year event after having studied Ancient Greece. I did it with another class 1.5 years ago, hoping to start a tradition, and it was really popular with the kids and their families, but I just got off the phone with the owner a few minutes ago who informed me that yes, they were officially closed for good.

I am looking for a Middle Eastern restaurant that could accomodate about 14-20 well-behaved 4th graders (meaning large enough and appropriate enough environment that won't have their parents screaming at my boss...i.e. Persian Heaven, with its belly dancers, is probably out). I have two weeks to move the venue. Can anyone make any recommendations?
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

Location: On Ihla Forumosa.com, waiting for the babelfish to kick in
2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 08 Jun 2009, 19:36

I'm sure they'd hold off the belly dancers for a big enough party if you asked them.
I'm also sure they wouldn't phase the parents -- its the latest thing for ... erm ... ladies of a certain age. I'm always seeing gaggles of obasans in the park dressed up with their bits hanging out and rigidly stern expressions on their faces as they do their moves.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 11 Jun 2009, 19:41

One of my coworkers recommended Greek Go! on Shi-Da Rd. to me. I went there with a few friends last night and I liked it. It's no Mykonos, but it's still delicious. I also got recommendations for a Turkish restaurant on An-He called Truva, if you are looking for places to go. It was a bit too posh looking for my kids, but the person who recommended it had high praise for it.
"We're talking about Taiwanese media whose attention spans make your average goldfish look like the Amazing Kreskin."
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU

2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 11 Jun 2009, 20:38

ImaniOU wrote:I also got recommendations for a Turkish restaurant on An-He called Truva, if you are looking for places to go. It was a bit too posh looking for my kids, but the person who recommended it had high praise for it.

You are giving up the chance to expound on Cyprus? :wink:
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Fortigurn » 12 Jun 2009, 11:42

ImaniOU wrote:One of my coworkers recommended Greek Go! on Shi-Da Rd. to me. I went there with a few friends last night and I liked it. It's no Mykonos, but it's still delicious. I also got recommendations for a Turkish restaurant on An-He called Truva, if you are looking for places to go. It was a bit too posh looking for my kids, but the person who recommended it had high praise for it.

I would say Truva is certainly too posh for kids, but it's very pleasant for a quiet and special night out. My wife and I have been there several times, either by ourselves or with friends, and I would recommend it heartily. Excellent food, and the service is always great.
Hiking gear.
Forumosan avatar
Fortigurn
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

13 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 26 Jul 2010, 18:17

I just saw this thread and forgot to update how dinner at Greek Go! went with the kids.

The owners of Greek Go! let me borrow a copy of their menus (the one with the food and the set dinner options). I made copies for the kids who were in teams of 3-4 kids (groups of three had one adult chaperone) and they worked together to decide on their meal (I think we went with option C - two smaller dishes and two big dishes plus drinks, soup, and individual desserts for four for about $300 per student). I knew that we had a large group (with a limited amount of time before they needed to go home to do homework and get ready for bed) so we preordered the food about a week before our reservation.
The kids felt grown up making decisions about their meals cooperatively, and it made me proud how one group even made sure one child who had a restrictive diet was able to enjoy the meal by asking him which foods he couldn't eat and then deciding on their choices by those that were okay for him. They made comments on how the food had ingredients that they had just learned about in their studies of the time period and they were willing to try some of the new dishes.

I was teaching two classes of the same level (one from 1:30 to 4:30 and the second group from 4:30 to 6:30). We decided to leave at 6:40 with a 7pm arrival, me already having done the route from the school to the restaurant to make sure the timing was right. Four of the earlier class's students would meet us there and the other eight hung out in the classroom to do their Chinese homework while I taught the later group. As I said, I train my students to be well-behaved and autonomous in class.

At 6:40pm, the Chinese teachers who were helping to supervise the trip joined me with the 20 kids I had in tow to take the kids to the bus stop near the school (all the parents agreed to let their kids go after they had read my plan, letter explaining the connection to our Ancient Greece unit, and my promise to give the kids a space to finish their homework in. 100% attendance... :discodance: )

We got to the restaurant a little late, about 6 minutes. They had reserved almost the entire upstairs for our party of 27.

But nothing was ready. About 15 minutes after we arrived, they started bringing out the soup, but only half the kids got served. Some of the dishes started arriving about 20 minutes after that, while some groups had nothing but a glass of water. Fortunately, the kids already knew the expected behavior so while still being kids, goofing off for pictures, they mostly stayed at their tables talking to each other in English (and reminding the Chinese teachers to also speak English :roll: ) or got up to see what others were eating. Most of the dishes finally arrived after about an hour.

Keep in mind, I did let them know days in advance of when we'd be coming and of what the kids had chosen for their meals and that we were going to be pressed for time, but it seemed that they didn't even start preparing the food until after we had arrived. By the time their desserts came, parents had arrived to pick their children up and had been waiting for a while.

Everyone did enjoy the food, and to make up for their error, the owners gave me a lot of coupons for future meals. I gave them to the kids the next class so they could share them with their families (with plenty left over for me to keep too).

I will go there for Greek food. The meals are pretty decent and at a fair price and they did take on quite a task feeding 24 preteens and their teachers. I highly recommend Greek Go! if you're looking for Greek food.
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU

2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Middle Eastern Restaurants in Taipei?

Postby Josefus » 26 Jul 2010, 19:26

Whoops-Delete.
Accidently hit the quote function on Tapatalk.
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby Jack Burton » 26 Jul 2010, 21:32

word on the street is.. Persian Heaven might not be a bad choice; good beer selection.
Jack Burton: I don't get this at all. I thought Lo Pan...
Lo Pan: Shut up, Mr. Burton! You are not brought upon this world to get it!
Forumosan avatar
Jack Burton
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

4 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 31 Jul 2010, 18:35

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar ... 2003479170
Persian Heaven had a fairly positive review in the Taipei Times.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby ImaniOU » 03 Aug 2010, 04:41

Every restaurant gets a good review in the Taipei Times. It's good business practice to praise the people signing checks to you.
- ImaniOU
Forumosan avatar
ImaniOU

2 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs