Middle Eastern Restaurants in Taipei?

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Re: Middle Eastern Restaurants in Taipei?

Postby Gifthorse » 05 Aug 2010, 14:57

I love Greek food. What kinds of choices are available at this restaurant?

I am a huge shish kabob fan. Do they they that? Also how are the greek salads?
Gifthorse
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Poagao » 28 Oct 2010, 10:17

I went to Persian Heaven last night, and although the belly dancing was loud and distracting, it was over soon enough, and we were able to get down to the proper business of eating. I was very impressed by the food, very tasty and good portions. A bit pricey, but worth it.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao
Thinking of Having Kids (xiǎng yào shēng xiǎo hái)

5 Recommends(s)
71 Recognized(s)

Postby the chief » 28 Oct 2010, 10:52

Poagao wrote:I went to Persian Heaven last night, and although the belly dancing was loud and distracting, it was over soon enough, and we were able to get down to the proper business of eating. I was very impressed by the food, very tasty and good portions. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Could you maybe elucidate a little more on "pricey"?
And was the belly dancer local or imported?
"Got to hurry back to my hotel room
Where I got me a date with a pretty little girl from Split"

You're driftin' out of touch, Doc. G_d help us all.

"They wanted Hellboy, they got Hellboy."
-superking

Fully ordained Dudeist Priest, CLDD in good standing, available for weddings, funerals, and league semifinals, PM me.
Forumosan avatar
the chief
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

24 Recommends(s)
73 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 28 Oct 2010, 11:36

the chief wrote:
Poagao wrote:I went to Persian Heaven last night, and although the belly dancing was loud and distracting, it was over soon enough, and we were able to get down to the proper business of eating. I was very impressed by the food, very tasty and good portions. A bit pricey, but worth it.

The meals were over NT$500 per person, which is kind of pricey to me. The belly dancer looked like a local, but I didn't look that closely.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao

5 Recommends(s)
71 Recognized(s)

Postby TaipeiD » 28 Oct 2010, 15:35

Poagao wrote:
the chief wrote:

The meals were over NT$500 per person, which is kind of pricey to me. The belly dancer looked like a local, but I didn't look that closely.

+1. NT500 for 3 kebab skewers sounds a tad expensive. I may settle for some Taramosalata and Retsina. :lol:

The upbeat-sounding triple happy kebab king (NT$530) features a skewer each of beef, lamb and chicken and is probably the most attractive dish on the menu, with the gleaming chunks of meat set off by a colorful assortment of vegetables. The meat was succulent but had little seasoning, so we made sure to douse each skewer in limejuice to set off the flavor. On a separate visit, I ordered the meat and seafood combo kebab (NT$550), which came with two meaty, perfectly grilled tiger prawns, along with lamb (beef is another option).
TaipeiD
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby super_lucky » 28 Oct 2010, 16:53

TaipeiD wrote:
+1. NT500 for 3 kebab skewers sounds a tad expensive. I may settle for some Taramosalata and Retsina. :lol:

Back when it was still open, Mykonos had both, although the taramosalata was pitiful and the retsina came to the table piss warm. Greek Go, AFIK, has neither, but all this chatter about Greek food has me thinking I'll bust over there anyway. Otherwise, Greeks and fans of Greek cuisine [and a shout-out to my Cypriat brothers and sisters] are screwed on this island. Saghanaki? Moussaka? A simple horiatiki? Paidakia? Pastissio? Any kind of kefthedes? Spanakotiropita? Kokinisto? Octipodi? Gigantes? Forget it. If anyone knows of Greek or even Greek-like cuisine anywhere on this island, please please please set me straight. Thanks.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby Poagao » 28 Oct 2010, 17:02

TaipeiD wrote:
Poagao wrote:
the chief wrote:

To be fair, that did include appetizer, soup, salad, drink and dessert. It was quite a lot of food, and very good quality.
Forumosan avatar
Poagao

5 Recommends(s)
71 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 Oct 2010, 17:07

super_lucky wrote: the retsina came to the table piss warm.

Isn't retsina SUPPOSED to taste like warm donkey piss, though? :wink:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby super_lucky » 28 Oct 2010, 17:14

sandman wrote:
super_lucky wrote: the retsina came to the table piss warm.

Isn't retsina SUPPOSED to taste like warm donkey piss, though? :wink:

Taste, yes. Served at the same temp? No. :no-no: Even the most ice-phobic, old school Greek wants that stuff cold, baby.
If it isn't fun, I'm not doing it
super_lucky

3 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby lostinasia » 28 Oct 2010, 18:35

super_lucky wrote:If anyone knows of Greek or even Greek-like cuisine anywhere on this island, please please please set me straight. Thanks.

Is the Greek restaurant in Tainan still around? I used to enjoy going there, although I have no idea how authentic it really is.

Tainan used to have a good Turkish restaurant too. Again, I don't know if it's still there.

Man, I can't believe I'm missing the food in Tainan.

Middle Eastern food: you do know about Sababa, right?
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

61 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs