Imbiss: new German restaurant in Gongguan (closed)

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Imbiss: new German restaurant in Gongguan (closed)

Postby Icon » 09 Mar 2009, 11:17

Being a fan of Goethe's banana coffee cheesecake pie, I was pleased to hear that the owners opened a new restaurant based on an "economic" and "multicultural" concept.

See, they wanted to make a more affordable and quick menu, a set meal that would hit the spot for foreign food without breaking the piggy bank. So they came up with what I call a modern Germany menu, with influences from the new immigrants, like Turkish kebab, Greek salads, etc. Quite varied.

I thought you guys might be interested, since some of you also like traditional German food -they have a pig knuckle burger for 170 nt, for example. They have Berliner meat balls with curry sauce, with pickles on the side. Portion size is generous without being overwhelming.

Also, most people have problems finding where to eat with vegetarian friends, and these guys have at least 6 vegetarian dishes, both "Western" and "buddist" styles -meaning vegan and all vegetarian. I liked that the waitresses were quite helpful when giving you choices, no blank stares here. Can't choose between rice or fries? No problem, have rice and fries as a side.

Finally, for the beer fans, they have a fine draft called Warsteiner, very tasty indeed.

From MRT Taipower Building, Exit 2, cross Xinhai, turn left, walk a minute or two, then right as first alley is alley 34. If coming from Gonggan, go to Wenzhou park, then head straight as if going to Tsui Mama, turn right at the church corner. Roosevelt alley turns into Xinhai Lane.

Menu and more at: http://www.wretch.cc/blog/Imbiss
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Re: Imbiss: new German restaurant in Gongguan area

Postby sjhuz01 » 11 Mar 2009, 02:49

I will reserve full judgment until I have a chance to find it & eat there, but I think I love you :notworthy:

謝謝/Gracias/Merci/Danke!

(BTW, what/where is Goethe's??)
sjhuz01
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Icon » 11 Mar 2009, 09:36

sjhuz01, that is the idea. For the opening season, the stuff is 15% off.

As requested (stolen from the German Cultural Institute website):

Goethe Gourmet Gasthaus
No. 11, Lane 283, Sec.3, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei
Tel.: +886-2-2362-0060, 2362-0124
Fax: +886-2-2362-0164.

Oma Ursel
No. 9, Lane 6, Yongkang Street, Taipei 106
Tel.: +886-2-2392 2447, 2392 2448
Fax: +886-2-2392 2422.´

Goethe is located on the corner, across from the Wenzhou Park in Gonkuan, two doors down from Sababa, about two "blocks" away from Bongos.

More at: http://taiwanjournal.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=21754&CtNode=122

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 11 Mar 2009, 10:06

"...banana coffee cheesecake pie..."

You had me at this....:grin: :lovestruck: :hungry:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 11 Mar 2009, 10:36

TainanCowboy wrote:"...banana coffee cheesecake pie..."

You had me at this....:grin: :lovestruck: :hungry:

Oh man, you have no idea... :lick:

However, this delicacy is found only at Goethe. Great with an Irish coffee. Alas, at Imbiss your set meal comes with a small banana cake or blueberry swirl. And simple but tasty bottomless coffee.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 11 Mar 2009, 11:23

Icon wrote:sjhuz01, that is the idea. For the opening season, the stuff is 15% off.

As requested (stolen from the German Cultural Institute website):

Goethe Gourmet Gasthaus
No. 11, Lane 283, Sec.3, Roosevelt Rd., Taipei
Tel.: +886-2-2362-0060, 2362-0124
Fax: +886-2-2362-0164.

Oma Ursel
No. 9, Lane 6, Yongkang Street, Taipei 106
Tel.: +886-2-2392 2447, 2392 2448
Fax: +886-2-2392 2422.´

Goethe is located on the corner, across from the Wenzhou Park in Gonkuan, two doors down from Sababa, about two "blocks" away from Bongos.

More at: http://taiwanjournal.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=21754&CtNode=122

We almost stopped in at the Goethe place a few weeks ago. It's catty-corner from the Free Pizza place. The sign is in such a fancy gothic script that I thought it said Turtle Gromet Restaurant at first. We decided to go to Maryjane's, but now we will have to come back to this one later.
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
95 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 11 Mar 2009, 19:59

I haven't tried their pie, and I've only eaten there once (very good), but I pretty much live on the bread sold at Cafe Goethe (as we call it). Real German style bread, not sweet at all (except for the fruity one that's supposed to be). One kind full of grains and such, a plain dark one, a round walnut one... Oh, and soft pretzels. yum. Considering how much I love bread, and the crappiness of most Taiwanese bread, Cafe Goethe really saves the day. Now if they would just start up their ice cream again...
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 12 Mar 2009, 14:28

The bread is really remarkable. I especially like the buns, particularly the ones with pumkin seeds on top. Usually, you pay 30 to 45 nts elsewhere for the same stuff, just a bit bigger, but all air inside. This is real bread. One filled with ham and cheese and mustard is great for breakfast.

Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby zyzzx » 14 Mar 2009, 23:25

tried out Imbiss this afternoon, I got their vegetarian Turkish pizza, takeaway, 130 nt, including a cup of coffee or tea (no more 15% discount). Really good, and pretty big - I couldn't eat it all in one sitting, I think having it with the meal set would be way too much food (at least for me). I don't have much Turkish pizza experience, so I can't judge how authentic it was, but it sure tasted good...
I'll definitely be going back.
Forumosan avatar
zyzzx

10 Recognized(s)

Postby sjhuz01 » 15 Mar 2009, 19:02

Went the other night finally & thought it was pretty good! Decent amount of food for the price & very friendly service. Actually found it a bit odd I was the only foreigner there & the place was packed!

Lamb kebab was pretty good, but I like a bit more flavor & more tzatziki (which they provided). Bread was good though & although the lamb was kinda stringy, I was happy. Fries were excellent & thick.

From what I could tell from other people's plates, their interpretation of "Turkish Pizza" actually looks a lot like regular pizza, which may be Turkish (I dunno), but isn't how it's done in Germany, where it's closer to a shawarma/wrap: Take thin round pita w/light tomato&spice sauce, heat it (adding cheese at this stage is ideal), then add kebab toppings like meat, feta, sauce, veggies & maybe some spicy peppers. Roll it up like a burrito & chow down!

A bit disappointed in the pizza bit, as that was my favorite fast food in Deutschland, but overall it was really good and affordable - I'll be going back!
sjhuz01

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs