Paulaner Bräuhaus - German/Bavarian @ Guandu MRT / TNUA

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

Paulaner Bräuhaus - German/Bavarian @ Guandu MRT / TNUA

Postby olm » 13 Jul 2009, 15:17

It seems like recently (May 2009) a new German restaurant opened in Beitou, on the campus of Taipei National University of the Arts (TNUA):

Paulaner Bräuhaus

Paulaner is one of Munich's traditioanal breweries, and so far (in several German cities, also outside of Bavaria) I've had very good experiences with their restaurants. I heard from a coworker that this one is owned by the same person as some of these venues in mainland china, but I have no idea about the quality of those.

Has anyone tried this taiwanese branch, yet?

Could this finally be the "real bavarian" restaurant I have been waiting for? I for one am looking forward to some things that don't seem to be on the standard menu of the other German restaurants that I know so far, namely Helles (the "standard" bavarian beer), Obazda (a kind of cheese spread), Schweinshaxen (roast pig knuckle), and of course Weisswurst (white sausage). I dearly hope that their bread is much better than that at Smokey Inn / Alpine Cottage, and the beer is much better than at Wendel's. Anyway, as soon as I've been there I'll report back with news :)

Here are some links regarding this restaurant:

TNUA page on the restaurant:
http://www2.tnua.edu.tw/etnua/modules/a ... gs&lid=503

Their "homepage", mostly chinese
http://www.wretch.cc/blog/paulaner

Menu:
http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=paulaner&book=3

Pics of the food:
http://www.wretch.cc/album/album.php?id=paulaner&book=5
They shall grow not old
As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Scenic Bavaria, next to a former Messerschmitt factory
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Re: Paulaner Bräuhaus - German/Bavarian in Beitou @ TNUA

Postby Tomas » 13 Jul 2009, 15:23

I share your hopefulness and enthusiasm. TNUA does Moroccan food pretty well, but the Italian is very run-of-the-mill. Coffee shop has decent coffee. The view is incredible.

Here's hoping! (I agree on the Smokey House bread, but the rest of the fare is really nice. I like it there very much).
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

143 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Postby olm » 13 Jul 2009, 15:52

Tomas wrote:I agree on the Smokey House bread, but the rest of the fare is really nice. I like it there very much.

Please don't get me wrong, I really like the stuff I had there so far. And the bread even tastes good - it's just stale :(

Let's just hope that someone finally gets it completely right :) I totally love the Chinese and other Asian foods that I have here every day, but just once every few months I don't mind a Brotzeit...
They shall grow not old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 13 Jul 2009, 16:13

I seen their pic of the weisswurst and bretzel. I SEEN it! If its anything like the stuff I got at the Munich slaughterhouse, I'm there! Below is the quintessential weisswurst and bretzel with Paulaner what I ate every morning for two weeks in 2005. Breakfast ay fucking CHAMPIONS!
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Elegua » 13 Jul 2009, 18:13

There is a whole bunch of them in Shanghai. I wonder if it is the same management.

For the ones in Shanghai the Beer is good but $$$$$. The food is just okay. They serve the weisswurst for dinner, if that is any indication.

Are places like Zumm Fass still there? I never went there, but everyone always said it was great.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Forumosan avatar
Elegua
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

14 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby LPeterC » 14 Jul 2009, 09:24

Yes it is also run by the same NanChow Group, headed by Fei-Lung Chen. He introduced Haagen-Dazs to Taiwan. That line of business was since sold.

Among their other restaurant chains are Salt & Bread, Dian Shui Lou and, Shanghai Paulaner. Expect up-scale ambience, good service and edible food, at a steep price.
LPeterC
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby Rascal » 14 Jul 2009, 11:59

Elegua wrote:There is a whole bunch of them in Shanghai. I wonder if it is the same management.

Bangkok got one, too. And Singapore.

Are places like Zumm Fass still there? I never went there, but everyone always said it was great.

Wasn't excited about that place last time I went, which was back in 2002.
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Postby olm » 14 Jul 2009, 13:27

Elegua wrote:They serve the weisswurst for dinner, if that is any indication.

Actually, even in rural Bavaria the old rule "White sausage must be eaten before noon" isn't strictly adhered to any more at all. With modern inventions like cooling etc. I feel it's not really necessary any more either.

Also I think restricting some dishes like this to only breakfast might make you miss a lot of dinner customers - and the breakfast customers might need some convincing that eating sausage & pretzels and drinking beer is a proper breakfast. But come to think of it... probably it would be much easier to convince Chinese (who already eat noodle soup early in the morning) of that, compared to people from any other western / "civilized" country ;)
They shall grow not old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

Postby Chewycorns » 14 Jul 2009, 13:37

As long as they don't serve Northern German cabbage or any Ossie fare and as long as they don't let this dingleberry sing there, then it should be good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdIf4DIiNtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6dp1Ib5 ... re=related
Forumosan avatar
Chewycorns

1 Recognized(s)

Postby olm » 20 Jul 2009, 11:41

Finally I paid the Paulaner a visit, and was not disappointed: It might not be perfect (as in "straight out of Bavaria"), but it's a very enjoyable, though pricy and upscale, Bavarian style restaurant. All in all it's the best German/Bavarian restaurant I've been to in Taiwan - but then I am not trying many here, since the chinese food is too delicious anyway ;)

It is quite easy to reach: Take the red line to Danshui (not to Beitou) and exit at Guandu Station. Leave at Exit 2, walk right, after a short walk turn left and walk uphill for a few hundred meters. There you cross the street, turn left towards the gas station, and at the gas station turn right again and then keep walking uphill. Voila, after a few minutes walking the Paulaner is at the right side. You can also just take the taxi at Guandu station, the drivers know the name "Paulaner" and will bill you NT$70.

The restaurant itself is pretty big. Some seating is available outside, which offers a nice view and a bit more of a Biergarten feeling. On a Sunday evening the place was very full, so better book a table (02-2891-7677). A lot of Taiwanese were there, but only very few foreigners. Funny enough, many of the Taiwanese seem to order the chinese dishes that they offer, and only add a German beer to that. Saupreisn, chinesische ;)

The menu was much shorter than what is shown on the pictures in their Blog, maybe it was because it was a "holiday special". No idea what holiday that is, maybe Sunday? Or it could be the seemingly all-year Taiwanese Christmas, since even in this restaurant (opened May this yaer, mind you!) there is the obligatory christmas decoration - only in one corner of the Men's room, though.

The staff is very fast, friendly, and helpful.

We didn't ask for any off-menu items, though I am sure there must be some (like White Sausage "Weisswurst", or cold cuts and cheese platters. We ended up with Kässpatzen (cheese noodles), Schweinshaxe (pork knuckle), Obazda (a spread made from cheese, butter and spices), Würstel mit Sauerkraut (sausages), and Brezen (Pretzels). As desert we had Apfelstrudel mit Vanilleeis (apple cake with icecream).

The food was really good, with only minor deviations from the "original": The Haxn seemed to be fried instead of grilled and came pre-cut, and the Nürnberger sausage was a bit bland. With the Obazda came only two small pieces of bread, which was just OK ( already getting a bit dry). The Brezn were good, but a little bit chewy.

Apart from these minor things everything was very enjoyable: The Kässpatzen were great, the Haxn tasted very good (with even the skin crunchy and edible), the Obazda was very delicious, and the Leberwurst (liver sausage) that came with the Brezn was very nicely spiced, as were the Käsekrainer (cheese sausage) and the Bratwurst from the sausage platter.

Hmmm... anything I forgot? Oh right, the beer :D

They serve a very nice dark beer, as well as a light beer they call "Helles". The latter definitely is not a "Helles" as you would get as the standard beer in most of Bavaria, but instead seems to be a unfiltered (Naturtrüb) variety thereof. Great with me, though, since this is something I like a lot :) The Beers come children sized (0.3l), small (Halbe / 0.5l) or normal size (Mass / 1l) and are not exactly cheap (NT$225 for 0.5l, and NT$400 for 1l). Same price forthe very refreshing Radler by the way (half light beer, half sprite).

For Taiwanese standards it was not cheap, around NT$1500 per person including ~2l beer per person - but we enjoyed this evening a lot, so it was definitely worth it.

(The sausage platter is not shown here)
They shall grow not old
Age shall not weary them
Nor the years condemn.
And in the morning
We will remember them
Forumosan avatar
olm

ORIGINAL POSTER
16 Recommends(s)
25 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs