Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

PaPa Gio' - great Italian place (NOT Papa Giovanni's)

Moderators: citizen k, elektronisk

PaPa Gio' - great Italian place (NOT Papa Giovanni's)

Postby TheLostSwede » 04 Sep 2009, 00:40

Right, found out about a great Italian restaurant last night, as a friend of mine took me there, it's called PaPa Gio' and is less than 5 minutes walk from Zhongxiao Dunhua MRT station, exit 5. This is not the same place or owner as the Italian restaurant that used to be located there, so if you went to the old one and didn't like (I heard it wasn't very good) you should try this place.
The food is fantastic and there's a quick and dirty review of it on my blog if anyone cares to read it.
They also have a website http://www.papagio.com.tw/
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: PaPa Gio' - great Italian place

Postby Tempo Gain » 04 Sep 2009, 01:22

Ah so this is not the infamous papa giovanni? sounds good, maybe give it a try this weekend
Forumosan avatar
Tempo Gain
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

298 Recommends(s)
302 Recognized(s)

Re: PaPa Gio' - great Italian place

Postby TheLostSwede » 04 Sep 2009, 02:11

No, it's under new management (with a new name, if possibly not different enough) and I was really impressed by the the food, they even server proper risotto with porcini mushrooms...
The chef is a very charismatic and friendly guy, although I guess it helped that my friend that I went there with was Italian as well :D
Oh, and the pricing seems to be much more affordable as well.

Just found this
The former chef and sous chef at Capones have taken over

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRevi ... aipei.html
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Re: PaPa Gio' - great Italian place (NOT Papa Giovanni's)

Postby citizen k » 04 Sep 2009, 13:03

This is Giorgio Trevisan (sp?), formely of Giorgio's in lane 216 (where the Swiss restaurant followed in after) and then of Capone's, as mentioned above. Giorgio has been in the industry a long time and knows his stuff. I have not been yet myself, but all reports from friends are positive.
citizen k
"Drinks for the House!"

4 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby elektronisk » 07 Sep 2009, 20:51

citizen k wrote:This is Giorgio Trevisan (sp?), formely of Giorgio's in lane 216 (where the Swiss restaurant followed in after) and then of Capone's, as mentioned above. Giorgio has been in the industry a long time and knows his stuff. I have not been yet myself, but all reports from friends are positive.

ck. Yes, it is that Giorgio. For what it is worth I rated them in the top three when he was at Capone's. Now that he has his own place in a good location... I rate him number one.

I ordered five pizza's for take away. All were excellent. Ask for the Calzone B (spinach & ricotta) as a pizza.

It is not the bunch of friggin' idiots that were at that location before. Giorgio has taken/remade the place.

By the way, I rate them as/for the best pizza I have had in Taiwan.

Now, no one is even close.

Thanks TLS.
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 08 Sep 2009, 00:43

Well, we went back a second time and tried a few other things. The home made Gnocci is fantastic and I have no idea what he puts in his tomato sauce, but for a "plain" tomato sauce, it's the best I've ever had...
My GF kinda ruined the pizza though, as she wanted double cheese which made it a bit to greasy, but no fault of the cook and it was still pretty damn good.
The amazing thing, considering the location and the quality of the food, is that it's far from expensive for what you get.
This is definitely a new favourite place in Taipei to eat at.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede

ORIGINAL POSTER
15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby Novaspes » 31 Jan 2012, 14:28

Just to let you guys know, we Italian lads and ladies have dinner there every single Monday night at 20:30. New friends, be they Italian, Taiwanese or other asians or bignoses are always welcome!! ^_^ :cool:
Forumosan avatar
Novaspes
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

612 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby Wacow » 02 Feb 2012, 16:05

Yes, great place. wife and I went a few times during the past few months. Great Spinach salad, and steaks. Also 10% off if you use a Citi credit card.
Wacow
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs