sandman wrote:"Taipei Fairies?" Can't you call it "Taipei Lumberjacks"

The Lumberjack Song

I cut down trees
I skip and jump,
I like to press wild flowers,
I put on women's clothing,
and hang around in bars"

Sounds like the name can suit all types, sandman. :lol:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

Re: Drinking Establishment in Xindian

Postby Icon » 08 Sep 2010, 09:35

Damage wrote:I think our new place is right above that music shop you mentioned. Unless there's another music shop a few streets down. It's quite convenient.

We've always done our shopping at the Carrefour and RT Mart in Neihu, so I suppose we're going to switch to the ones in Xindian now. It's pretty around our house.

Both have minibuses by your area. Carrefour's is Mondays and Wednesdays, whiel RT Mart all the time. You are also around the block from Matsusei -a bit hard to find as they put it inside the traditional market- which has a nice selection -say, of foreign sauces, meat- at very convenmient prices.

ps.
Fairy Cafe is practically across from Matsusei
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

598 Recommends(s)
471 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Sep 2010, 09:40

Matsusei is a good one, in and out quick, quality stuff. Carrefour does my head in sometimes. I know lots more places around there but so hard to tell people where to go, down litte lanes etc.

Here's some tips, there is a great Beijing KaoYa wrap place just down the side lane near Matsusei...awesome stuff including their noodle soups. Just across from that there is a nice little Japanese sushi/bbq place with top class BBQ mackeral.

And another, a very good (again Beijing style but more dumplings/nio rou mien place) Chinese restaurant just near the Xindian Hall MRT as you walk towards Sanmin Road from the station.

Above XiZhang station there are some fairly good chain restaurants, hot pots, Thai, BBQ etc.

I like Western food too but you'd be best getting to know the Chinese and Asian places and trying their stuff when you are in Xindian cos the Western food there generally sucks.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 08 Sep 2010, 14:07

there is a great Beijing KaoYa wrap place just down the side lane near Matsusei...awesome stuff including their noodle soups. Just across from that there is a nice little Japanese sushi/bbq place with top class BBQ mackeral.

And another, a very good (again Beijing style but more dumplings/nio rou mien place) Chinese restaurant just near the Xindian Hall MRT as you walk towards Sanmin Road from the station.

QFT. He just nailed three of the best places in that area. I go to all three all the time. The Japanese place especially is good. The guy always gives us special "treats" since we go there so often. Last time it was fish uteruses or something like that. Interesting.
If you go left instead of right at the fork in Sanmin, just at the Investigation Bureau entrance, and walk all the way to the end near the Cardinal Tien hospital, there's a fantastic Japanese-style seafood joint. The guy's an angler and a diver. Fish comes fresh daily from Yilan. There's tables outside under a covered awning, decorated with his underwater diving photos. Can't miss it and well worth a visit.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Sep 2010, 14:09

That's the one I meant earlier....that is a really great sushi place, seems we have tread the same paths.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 08 Sep 2010, 14:15

We even have a song called Duck Roll on our album, dedicated to that kaoya wrap place. :lol:
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Sep 2010, 14:26

Muzha Man wrote:
headhonchoII wrote:Some of Taipei's and Taiwan's best 'kuai chao' stir-fry restaurants are on that street. They have good food and a good atmosphere in the evening, cheap beers by the dozen, almost all locals of course, it is a real unique part of Taiwan (IMO), it's what HK and Singapore pretend to have but don't. There are also a couple of very good independent sushi bars. There are 'luwei' stands and fried chicken and veg. stands which are really good if you like that sort of stuff. The Korean restaurant there is run by actual Koreans, fairly good. It's a real Taiwanese person's food and drink heaven. Don't eat in the pasta restaurant there..awful. There is a nice little Burmese restaurant close to that corner. There are almost no drinking establishments of the Western variety in Xindian. There are some cafes, restaurants and Subways at Xindian City Hall and Xizhang St and a big carrefour at Xizhang too.

How are you so wise in the ways of Xindian? And where is the Burmese place?

The Burmese place is opposite Cardinal Hsien (Xian) hospital, now there is not much to it but it does do some fairly good and cheap Burmese and Thai style dishes.

While we are it, I want to tell everybody the best Korean restaurant that I know of in Xindian run by a Korean guy and his family who always gives a big welcome and rolls out the service, it's on zhongxing road in the dapinglin area. Try the seafood pancake.

韓成之家
231台灣台北縣新店市中興路三段178號
02-2914-8198
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 08 Sep 2010, 14:29

sandman wrote:We even have a song called Duck Roll on our album, dedicated to that kaoya wrap place. :lol:

That is the best kaoya place I have ever frequented (and I have been to some in Beijing too), the only problem is it does get quite busy.
Seemingly there was a time 10 yrs or more back that it became very popular in Taiwan but it is hard to find now.

Mods, maybe you could create a split for food places.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1483 Recommends(s)
556 Recognized(s)

Postby The Fairy Cafe » 19 Sep 2010, 22:02

sandman wrote:"Taipei Fairies?" Can't you call it "Taipei Lumberjacks" or "Taipei 'Baccy Chewers" or something? :lol:
I'll have to pop in there sometime. I pass it quite often and it looks inviting. Love the tree outside.

"Sandman"? Can't you call yourself "Milkman"...? ;)

Fact of the matter is, I didn't think it would be taken so much out of context...until after I did the registration and got the licence. As for the Facebook page: Taipei Fairies, Facebook did not allow me to add a name with "The', so that sucked so I just went with the next best thing, and have regrettably been paying for it ever since. It is what it is, hopefully people will at least come try some food before 'judging'.

In our defense, it was going to be called "Little Africa", but a friend talked me out of it cause he was afraid that it might have too much of an "Africa" connection which may be 'perceived negatively", and since he owns around 10 restaurants in Taipei, I decided to take his advice. However, ALL the food inside is 100% my concepts and a lot of South African influence, so in heinz sight, I should have gone with Little Africa...

I LOVE THE TREE TOO! I've been fighting with the construction guys who have been working on the road cause they keep driving their trucks into my tree!

This week we're having drinks and playing some cards on Tuesday and BBQing on Wednesday. We usually hang out on Wednesdays anyhow for drinks, so hope you guys will stop by and try it out some time!

Cheers for all the nice comments on this thread about our Cafe!
The Fairy Cafe
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby Mucha Man » 20 Sep 2010, 23:47

Icon wrote:...Fairy Cafe is practically across from Matsusei

Really? I was looking for Matsusei today and was right at the cafe but could not find it. Can you give clearer directions? :bow:
“Everywhere else in the world is also really old” said Prof. Liu, a renowned historian at Beijing University. “We always learn that China has 5000 years of cultural heritage, and that therefore we are very special. It appears that other places also have some of this heritage stuff. And are also old. Like, really old.”

http://hikingintaiwan.blogspot.com/
Forumosan avatar
Mucha Man
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

716 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs