MAPLE HOUSE - A new foreign-owned restaurant in Qianshuiwan

Moderators: elektronisk, citizen k

MAPLE HOUSE - A new foreign-owned restaurant in Qianshuiwan

Postby BigJohn » 27 Feb 2011, 21:42

If you're on the North Coast, and hungry for good Western fare, you should check out the Maple House in Qianshuiwan.

Recently opened by Tony from Canada and his wife Maggie, it's a diner with a strong emphasis on breakfast. His menu includes burgers, fries, poutine, chicken fingers, grilled sandwiches, English muffinwiches, pancakes, omelettes, French toast, breakfast burritos, and the usual bacon and eggs variations. He also has Canada Dry ginger all, A&W root beer, as well as Taiwan Beer on tap. There are also some Taiwanese food items on the menu,such as danbing and noodles. The prices are very reasonable.

I went down there with my wife on Saturday morning, and we had a nice meal.
I had the British breakfast, which included a home-made sausage (good), bacon, beans, tomato, two eggs and toast. It was very tasty. My wife had a "skillet", which was a load of eggs, veggies and cheese on top of a mound of hash browns. It was huge and delicious.

Maple House is located on the ocean side, north east of the main parking lot for beach access. It's quite close to Dino's place, Walilei. For those who don't know Qianshuiwan (or Qianshui Bay, as the sign says), it's about a 20-30 minute bus trip from Danshui MRT station, about 2 km before Sanzhi city center. There's a nice beach there (not so great for swimming though)and it's a cool place to hang out on a date, or stop at for a rest and a meal if you're riding or driving through.

The hours of operation are:

Monday to Friday: 6am to 3pm
Saturday and Sunday: 8am to 5pm

Phone: 2636-0988
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Re: MAPLE HOUSE - A new foreign-owned restaurant in Qianshuiwan

Postby elektronisk » 27 Feb 2011, 22:02

BigJohn wrote:The hours of operation are:

Is that a typo? You said it was on the ocean side next to Dino's. At that location 5-9pm on weekends is the most lucrative and with summer coming up it often goes full blast until midnight there. I can understand the mornings could be good but the afternoon is tea set city at NT$100 or so all along that stretch. Evening starts at NT$350 for a basic pasta. Am I missing something here?

Is it south of Long Bar? Thanks for the review, name and phone, do you have an address for them?

Also, any prices you can share?
"We are only here briefly, and in this moment I want to allow myself joy." - Her

There is a truth and it's on our side,
Dawn is coming , open your eyes - José González

Make love your goal, not your gaol.
A wise man can learn more from himself than he could learn from anyone else, if only he seeks and listens.
Afar isn't as bad as it sounds, it is the longevity of it that hurts.
Smile and make others feel happy today.
Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest.
Forumosan avatar
elektronisk
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

63 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 27 Feb 2011, 22:17

elektronisk wrote:
BigJohn wrote:The hours of operation are:

Is that a typo? You said it was on the ocean side next to Dino's. At that location 5-9pm on weekends is the most lucrative and with summer coming up it often goes full blast until midnight there. I can understand the mornings could be good but the afternoon is tea set city at NT$100 or so all along that stretch. Evening starts at NT$350 for a basic pasta. Am I missing something here?

Is it south of Long Bar?

Also, any prices you can share?

No typo: them's his hours.

Prices: The British brekkie: 220NT; veggie cheese omelet 170NT, grilled turkey ham and cheese sandwich 70NT; French fries 50NT;root beer, 50NT, cappuccino 70NT, American bacon with American cheddar cheese beef burger, 110NT; berry smoothies, 90NT.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 27 Feb 2011, 22:41

elektronisk wrote:Thanks for the quick reply BigJohn. With those prices he isn't really on the beach is he? If he is where I think he is, the summer is going to be a major shakeup for him. Hopefully he will close much later because I don't usually get over there until late afternoon/early evening. :lol:

But he has tough competition for real western food with Dino and Eddy in that area. Eddy's is already a mandatory stop in Danshui followed by a stop at Dino's. And for the local dollar that stretch has a lot of outdoor dinner specials and set meals (bread, salad, soup, main, dessert, drink) with river view for under/around $500. But best of luck to him. Always good to have more food options.

He is turning the back room into an ocean view dining area. In terms of competition, his menu is totally different, so hopefully he'll do OK. I agree with you that he should have a later closing time of he wants to ca$h in on the location.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 06 Mar 2011, 16:28

Oh,I forgot to mention that they have a singing deer, called Buck! Very entertaining.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby Josefus » 06 Mar 2011, 17:42

Does it take requests?
If I could cup your testicles in my hand and warm them, by way of appeasement, I would gladly do so. - TomHill

The women here have jobs which don't involve climbing aboard the Winston Train for a bit of Wu Wu Wu. - Kahna
Forumosan avatar
Josefus
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

5 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 06 Mar 2011, 21:16

Josefus wrote:Does it take requests?

If you buy it a drink and talk nicely to it, it just might! He does a pretty good version of "Bad Romance", BTW.
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby BigJohn » 07 May 2012, 16:40

I just went to the Maple House again for dinner last night and it was great: delicious food, cold beer in chilled mugs, lovely view of the sunset over Cianshuiwan beach.

The owner and his friends are quite friendly as well.

Check it out!
Forumosan avatar
BigJohn

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
118 Recognized(s)

Postby Toe Save » 15 Aug 2013, 23:53

Sad to hear that Maple House Diner is going out of business. But I'm sure Tony and his pals will bounce back with something new before long. They are having a blow out party on Aug. 17th. Info here.

Good luck Tony, with whatever the future brings you.
Forumosan avatar
Toe Save
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)
Mahjong Maniac (májiàng mí)

62 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 16 Aug 2013, 10:05

I read the first few posts and got all excited, not even noticing the dates, only to then read that the place is closing :( The breakfasts sounded awesome. Why do I never hear of these places until they close down? :cry:
Learning Chinese is so easy to me that I restart with it every year! — bob_honest
Indicators and mirrors are not just fashion accessories. — tomthorne
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Forumosan avatar
Steve4nLanguage
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

94 Recommends(s)
54 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Taipei / Xinbei Restaurants, Bars, and Clubs