Learning Chinese in Taichung fading away.

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Learning Chinese in Taichung fading away.

Postby sedition » 20 Nov 2011, 21:53

I just heard tonight from a friend of mine that the Chinese Language Program at National Chung Hsing University is closing down.

The same friend then called 'Biz House' -the downtown extension of Providence University- and apparently they are also closing down soon.

I'm not sure if this represents a drastic reduction in the number of foreigners living in Taichung who want to learn Chinese or perhaps a change in Gov't policy whereby University affiliated language centers are now subject to new rules and new pressures.

TLI in Taichung is still around as is National Taichung University.

Times they are a' chang'in.
sedition
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Learning Chinese in Taichung fading away.

Postby Rabidpie » 20 Nov 2011, 22:24

Well, there is still Feng Chia university.

What could this mean? Taichung is one of the best places to learn Chinese. Cheap but great city to live in, not too many English speakers but still north enough that people use Mandarin.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Lili » 20 Nov 2011, 22:41

Rabidpie wrote:Well, there is still Feng Chia university.

What could this mean? Taichung is one of the best places to learn Chinese. Cheap but great city to live in, not too many English speakers but still north enough that people use Mandarin.

There's your answer. Probably not enough demand.
"I wanted to be puzzled and charmed, to experience the endless, beguiling variety of a continent where you can board a train and an hour later be somewhere where the inhabitants speak a different language, eat different foods, work different hours, live lives that are at once so different and yet so oddly similar. I wanted to be a tourist," Bill Bryson.
"...But I ended up in Taiwan," Lili.

Never underestimate how much assistance,
how much satisfaction,
how much comfort,
how much soul and transcendence there might be
in a cold bottle of beer.
-Tom Robbins
Forumosan avatar
Lili
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
23 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 20 Nov 2011, 23:19

The scholarships are harder to get, I hear, and part-time work isn't as easy to come by with all the new teachers. I think these were the two things that brought many students here, but now that they're not as prevalent, students will go to China. And I don't blame them; the Taiwanese speak a very non-standard variety of Mandarin (in more ways than most of you are aware). (When I was in Beijing I was so surprised how well the some of the people spoke, but I'm a sucker for standard Mandarin. :) )
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 21 Nov 2011, 00:18

One of the many places (the one that I have never heard of) here is closing down, plus a "campus" of another one?

Meaningless unless Fengjia or donghai shuts down their programs I wouldn't read too much into it.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 21 Nov 2011, 00:20

I don't understand people who complain about Taiwan's Mandarin. Its not mainland mando that is for sure. YOu want to learn mainland mando , go to China !

Its like studying french in Quebec. Its not french french is it?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

608 Recommends(s)
379 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 21 Nov 2011, 00:24

archylgp wrote:The scholarships are harder to get, I hear, and part-time work isn't as easy to come by with all the new teachers. I think these were the two things that brought many students here, but now that they're not as prevalent, students will go to China. And I don't blame them; the Taiwanese speak a very non-standard variety of Mandarin (in more ways than most of you are aware). (When I was in Beijing I was so surprised how well the some of the people spoke, but I'm a sucker for standard Mandarin. :) )

Standard? Are you sure your heard well? Taipei definitley has the most standard Mandarin. Talk to any taxi driver in Taipei vis-a-vis Beijing, I'm sure you'll get a much better handful of standard Chinese with the Taipei lads.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Rabidpie » 21 Nov 2011, 00:25

Lili wrote:
Rabidpie wrote:Well, there is still Feng Chia university.

There's your answer. Probably not enough demand.

I was referring to Taiwanese that speak English well, sorry didn't make that really clear in the post. Reading it again, it makes it look like I was referring to other joe's and john's.
My anti Drug is Taiwan
Rabidpie

1 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby archylgp » 24 Nov 2011, 12:21

Rabidpie wrote:
archylgp wrote:The scholarships are harder to get, I hear, and part-time work isn't as easy to come by with all the new teachers. I think these were the two things that brought many students here, but now that they're not as prevalent, students will go to China. And I don't blame them; the Taiwanese speak a very non-standard variety of Mandarin (in more ways than most of you are aware). (When I was in Beijing I was so surprised how well the some of the people spoke, but I'm a sucker for standard Mandarin. :) )

Standard? Are you sure your heard well? Taipei definitley has the most standard Mandarin. Talk to any taxi driver in Taipei vis-a-vis Beijing, I'm sure you'll get a much better handful of standard Chinese with the Taipei lads.

You must be kidding...

Even Taiwanese people who speak Guoyu (Taiwanese Mandarin) better than Taiwanese generally have some non-standard (that is, not standard Putonghua or Chinese Mandarin) tendencies; for example, using 有 like in 我有去過 not using 兒化音 (rhoticization, like in 館兒) at all, nearly no neutral tones (輕聲), 3rd tones that don't fall but are low and level (and of course never rise), mixing up retroflex and palatal fricatives/affricates, non-standard tones -- 期, 質...., I could go on.
archylgp

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 24 Nov 2011, 12:52

Slightly off topic, but I spent my first three years in Taichung, then moved to Xiamen.

The Xiamen locals sound very similar to the Taiwanese when speaking Mandarin as their first language is Minnanhua/Taiyu.

They seem to understand my Mandarin better than non-Xiamenese (ie. the rest of China).

Same same for when I visited Taiwan twice this year - the Taiwanese seemed to understand me better than the Mainlanders - maybe I have a Taiwan accent :ponder:
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese