Chinesepod vs Popup Chinese

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: Chinesepod vs Popup Chinese

Postby kelake » 21 Apr 2012, 19:09

I gave Popup Chinese a try recently and found the dialogs that I listened to quite entertaining - some even funny. It’s a nice addition to the playlist.

I’m driving upwards of 3 hrs a day these days and spend all that time listening to podcasts over and over ... I have no idea how much it is helping my conversational ability but it beats listening to the radio. I had forgotten about Chinese Learn Online, I think I’ll visit that site as well.
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

21 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby DragonflyXingFu » 19 Jun 2013, 02:21

Annual Premium Subscription
CP = $250 PopupC = $100

Content
CP = Many lessons, pretty good, practical and useful, gets the job done. More features ( supplemental grammar points, structured tasks
[WINNER] PopupC = Also many lessons. Content seems more artistic and creative, unexpected and often really funny, perhaps a bit more philosophical.

Software Delivery
PUC = Acceptable but not great [Lacking sound software process, constantly buggy, no feedback, missing functionality] but in the end I can download the lectures and save pdfs of the dialogs.
[WINNER] CP = Excellent [excellent mobile apps for Android and IoS, professionally developed, well integrated ]

A big thing for me is to be able to manage 1000's of lessons and 1000's of vocab items which CP wins in this area with an obviously stronger software development staff. I think the mobile apps are excellent in that you can listen to a lesson and read the pinyin / hanzi --> expand the sentence into individual words to save into vocab lists and even hear a different recording of the same sentence. Each dialog based lesson has supplemental grammar lessons with the same structure --> example sentences with 'drilldown' feature. Well designed and very fecilitating.

As far as content, I could definitely see myself hanging out with the staff of Popup Chinese over CP.

Advice: considering the cost of tuition for a year buy a subscription to each, you will learn Chinese from these people. Both sites are active so support them so they can continue to grow!
DragonflyXingFu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby t.ukyo » 20 Jun 2013, 17:21

I have been using both for some time, although I only paid for one, which is ChinesePod. Actually, you don't need to shell out 250$ to get your money's worth at CP, I just took the basic package for 124$ a year, which allowed me to download MP3s and lesson PDFs. I personally don't need fancy apps to learn Chinese, I'm old-school. I listen to the MP3 and then sit my ass down and study the lesson at home.

My level was Upper-Intermediate/borderline Advanced, so that's what I studied. All in all I listened to maybe 500 of their lessons over the course of one year, and it was incredibly helpful to my listening comprehension. I think the lesson content is alright, certainly much better than your standard textbook fare.

Popup Chinese offers much less content for the advanced learner, and they lack an upper-intermediate level. I think the difference between the intermediate, where they still speak tons of English, and advanced, Chinese only, is too large.
The stuff they do offer at advanced levels is pretty good though, and the content is more colourful. As of right now, all I do is listen to their advanced stuff online every once in a while and that's it. I can't really comment on their paid advanced content though.

Overall, I would recommend CP over Popup, simply because they seem to have much more material, you simply get more for your money. If Popup manages to put more lessons out and maybe introduce an upper-intermediate level to make the jump to advanced easier, then I'd say they would be slightly better, simply because they are less "stuffy" and more fun to listen to.
Forumosan avatar
t.ukyo
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby archylgp » 20 Jun 2013, 22:53

After listening to ChinesePod for many years, I cannot stand their voices. Can't stand them lol
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 27 Sep 2013, 18:29

Good info here. Any more comparisons or recommendations on which one (Chinesepod, PopupChinese, Chinese Learn Online) is better to use on mobile smartphone? For me, I am looking for easy access/navigation/management of lessons, ability to view lessons while listening, interesting/current content presented.

iPhone
Android
Windows
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 28 Sep 2013, 02:03

There's this site: http://www.chinese-course.com/

I "downloaded" every sample sentence that they had, and I found that they could get one through the basics.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Learning Chinese