Best University to learn chinese?

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Best University to learn chinese?

Postby headhonchoII » 10 Feb 2012, 15:11

Well it happens quite a lot, as I said it happens to other capable Chinese speakers too and it seems to go up for me the more American I look IE if I am wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses (even though I am not America). There's a segment of the population that doesn't like to speak Chinese to Westerners, that's it. They be mumbling some crap back to me instead of talking normally in Chinese because they are too busy looking at my white face and thinking of something to say in English instead of listening to what I am actually saying. The white face clicks the switch in their heads that says must...practice....English....now....

There are of course other cases where the listener can't understand the strong accent or the bad tones or has poor situational comprehension skills (the last one being most service staff here).
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1716 Recommends(s)
622 Recognized(s)

Re: Best University to learn chinese?

Postby archylgp » 10 Feb 2012, 18:14

headhonchoII wrote:Well it happens quite a lot, as I said it happens to other capable Chinese speakers too and it seems to go up for me the more American I look IE if I am wearing a baseball hat and sunglasses (even though I am not America). There's a segment of the population that doesn't like to speak Chinese to Westerners, that's it. They be mumbling some crap back to me instead of talking normally in Chinese because they are too busy looking at my white face and thinking of something to say in English instead of listening to what I am actually saying. The white face clicks the switch in their heads that says must...practice....English....now....

There are of course other cases where the listener can't understand the strong accent or the bad tones or has poor situational comprehension skills (the last one being most service staff here).

Yeah -- I get what you're saying...I've been spending most of my "outside time" in the country side around Taichung these days and the people there couldn't care less about English. I do recall people doing this when I lived on campus; we would talk in English until they gave up and then just speak Chinese. I think they appreciate it if you give them a chance....If they speak English well, I don't care which language we speak: we usually start mixing the two up, anyways.

I guess the most fun I've had is when speaking to a certain Bi-lingual American with phenotypically Asian characteristics; we were mixing the two languages like there was no tomorrow.
archylgp
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

150 Recommends(s)
30 Recognized(s)

Postby yusuf » 07 Apr 2012, 18:53

I would like to study at Providence University...I assume it is a good university to study language..Other people comment like that..
yusuf
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Feiren » 07 Apr 2012, 19:13

yusuf wrote:I would like to study at Providence University...I assume it is a good university to study language..Other people comment like that..

All the Chinese centers are about the same although Shi-Da has more advanced classes and I have heard good things about the more up-to-date teaching methodology at NCCU (Zheng-Da).

Personally, I would choose an inexpensive and pleasant place to live and study. Like Hualian (Ciji/Tzuchi). Or maybe Minsyong (Zhongzheng U.).
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 09 Apr 2012, 07:45

I've met some of the professional translators and watched them speak Chinese quite impressively. I never saw a dismayed face among the Taiwanese natives who spoke with them.

Every breakfast shop owner in my neighborhood practically gives me a "利害唷!" for reading from their wall menus.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby Baas Babelaas » 09 Apr 2012, 15:15

I was just in Taiwan and most everybody understood English.

That said, I was speaking Chinese most of the time. Didn't realize my Chinese had come this far.
Forumosan avatar
Baas Babelaas
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

9 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Learning Chinese