Flashcards as a learning/teaching method

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Flashcards as a learning/teaching method

Postby ironlady » 29 Apr 2012, 12:58

[Mod's note: in splitting this topic from an unrelated thread, I accidentally erased ehopi's original post somehow, but it is quoted here in its entirety. /il]

ehophi wrote:Meh, I've made flashcard decks that teach Mandarin better than any instructor or textbook would. If you're willing to dig past the first page of Google results and get creative with your search terms, you'll actually find a goldmine of free stuff that is equally or more effective than any single textbook would be.

Hell, an app like Pleco or Memeo (think CC-Edict plus built-in flashcard app), honest self-checking, some personally interesting reading material, and a good computer dictionary could replace 99% of what some professional college instructors offer.

IF you already know the structure of the language. Flashcards will not give you that. Reading could, potentially -- if you had enough structure in the first place to work out what anything meant.

Also, all professional college instructors I'm aware of teach using rules-and-output. So they are eminently replaceable with drills and flashcards and annotated reading resources. There are a few of us out here trying to do a bit better, though.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Re: University Language Center Shafted me, not the fun shafted, the bad shafted

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 01 May 2012, 03:21

ironlady wrote:Also, all professional college instructors I'm aware of teach using rules-and-output. So they are eminently replaceable with drills and flashcards and annotated reading resources. There are a few of us out here trying to do a bit better, though.

The hardest part in learning an Asian language is the pedagogy that they use to teach them.

Seriously. I taught myself Jap (I was a nerdy teenager, OK?) and when my friend asked for help with his uni course, the textbooks just made me go @.@;;; I have no idea how you're supposed to learn what's a relatively simple language in the overly complicated way they love to teach it.

When I stopped paying attention to the textbooks and teachers, my Chinese improved in leaps and bounds.

Before that, the best Chinese teacher I'd ever had was a white lady who'd learned Chinese in Australia, Taiwan and Germany. And I think I've had around ten different Chinese teachers between Australia and here.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 01 May 2012, 09:41

tsukinodeynatsu wrote:
ironlady wrote:Also, all professional college instructors I'm aware of teach using rules-and-output. So they are eminently replaceable with drills and flashcards and annotated reading resources. There are a few of us out here trying to do a bit better, though.

The hardest part in learning an Asian language is the pedagogy that they use to teach them.

Seriously. I taught myself Jap (I was a nerdy teenager, OK?) and when my friend asked for help with his uni course, the textbooks just made me go @.@;;; I have no idea how you're supposed to learn what's a relatively simple language in the overly complicated way they love to teach it.

When I stopped paying attention to the textbooks and teachers, my Chinese improved in leaps and bounds.

Before that, the best Chinese teacher I'd ever had was a white lady who'd learned Chinese in Australia, Taiwan and Germany. And I think I've had around ten different Chinese teachers between Australia and here.

See? This was my point in asking about learning Chinese abroad. There has to be a better way. And I don't mean just books.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

710 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 01 May 2012, 10:21

Icon wrote:See? This was my point in asking about learning Chinese abroad. There has to be a better way. And I don't mean just books.

Okay. I'm a teacher trainer. You can hardly get Chinese teachers (at least the ethnically Chinese ones) to try something that's not traditional. They'll come to workshops, do the practices, and be all enthusiastic, but when they have to go home and do it on their own, they just don't. Part of this is the lack of materials for CI-based teaching. It's tempting to just reach for the textbook and the pile of "extras" you've accumulated over the years, rather than do something that requires a lot of prep (writing all those readings).

There's definitely a much better way to teach Chinese, but it's very difficult to get it implemented. I'll be teaching at a local community college and will be using CI methodology for my classes, but I'm fortunate in that the program believes Chinese is "very difficult" (as this has been the experience of their students thus far) so they have limited the amount of material that needs to be covered. That's what makes narrow-and-deep CI teaching possible. They will be surprised when we use all the structure for the entire semester in the first three days, though. :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

ORIGINAL POSTER
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 12 May 2012, 06:17

What's CI-based teaching? Maybe I missed something. What does CI stand for?
Teddoman
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 12 May 2012, 11:56

"Comprehensible Input". Lots of conversation about it over in Teaching English in Taiwan. CI-based instruction assumes that one acquires language through hearing and reading language you can understand, and the brain sorts it all out. Traditional (usually "communicative", these days) instruction assumes that you learn a language by studying the rules and the vocabulary and then putting them together, practicing by speaking and writing.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

ORIGINAL POSTER
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby Teddoman » 12 May 2012, 20:02

Thanks. Checked it out. Wow, teaching English in Taiwan has gotten a lot more professional since I was a Hess monkey
Teddoman

12 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 12 May 2012, 21:40

Not sure the teaching has (overall, I mean) but the conversation has been pretty interesting. People care about how they teach English. The question is whether or not they're allowed to do anything about the fact that they care.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

ORIGINAL POSTER
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

Postby ehophi » 13 May 2012, 20:04

ironlady wrote:
ehophi wrote:Meh, I've made flashcard decks that teach Mandarin better than any instructor or textbook would. If you're willing to dig past the first page of Google results and get creative with your search terms, you'll actually find a goldmine of free stuff that is equally or more effective than any single textbook would be.

Hell, an app like Pleco or Memeo (think CC-Edict plus built-in flashcard app), honest self-checking, some personally interesting reading material, and a good computer dictionary could replace 99% of what some professional college instructors offer.

IF you already know the structure of the language. Flashcards will not give you that. Reading could, potentially -- if you had enough structure in the first place to work out what anything meant.

Also, all professional college instructors I'm aware of teach using rules-and-output. So they are eminently replaceable with drills and flashcards and annotated reading resources. There are a few of us out here trying to do a bit better, though.

Yeah, I covered those bases, and a flashcard program does give me that, since I can make and order a deck by sentential difficulty; but I did it with a bigram redundancy filter and a character frequency corpus. Even then, that moves me up to about 40,000 sentences for a 4740-character base.

There is a way to instruct syntax in a repetition-style manner (one that a flashcard app could handle), but it would require that someone parse relatively difficult sentences into their simplest constituent sentences. For the essentials, it would only take a dozen or so parsed sentences, but if I wanted it to cover the vocabulary, as well, it would require a lot more.
Study Chinese at your leisure.
(Disclaimer: There's no moneyback guarantee because it's already free. You're welcome.)
ehophi
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

54 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 13 May 2012, 21:40

Except that a dozen exemplars are not enough for acquisition. Acquisition of structure requires literally thousands of unexpected encounters with structure that can be linked with meaning. That is the crux of the difference between rules-and-output teaching (which you seem to support: memorize and you'll "get it") and CI-based teaching. Rules and output may work for you (there are a small percentage of people who can get languages that way, and many of them become linguists or language teachers out of interest) but not for the majority.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Forumosan avatar
ironlady

ORIGINAL POSTER
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Learning Chinese