University Language Center Shafted me, not the fun shafted, the bad shafted

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Re: University Language Center Shafted me, not the fun shafted, the bad shafted

Postby akikaki1 » 20 Apr 2012, 01:12

MidgetWarden wrote:I would actually love to name and shame but I am assuming that could lead to some legal issues for the forum. That said if they shaft me on my refund you may see it on the local news :lol:

no it wonted?

was it MTC in Shi-Da?
akikaki1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

11 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby kelake » 20 Apr 2012, 12:18

I’ve had a similar experience in class of Chinese, Korean and Japanese students but stuck with it out of sheer stubbornness. But it was 6 weeks of hell for me and my family as all I did morning and night was write characters. Many of which have been forgotten.

I currently am lucky to have great teachers and small class sizes but whenever the discussion arises about how they feel learning Chinese aurally is the preferred method they then assign 3 hours of written homework. There is no escape (though they are very accommodating, to the point of allowing to answer some test questions aurally).
kelake
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Shaktipalooza » 20 Apr 2012, 12:54

I've been pretty happy with individual lessons at TLI. Not the cheapest but they're very flexible with what I want to learn.

Recently I've been watching Taiwanese movies alongside a printed copy of the script for the movie. Sometimes I bring the script in and they'll browse through to give me some pointers on the dialogue, if there is Taiwanese being mixed in, etc. Teachers are very good, they'll use primarily pinyin but have lately been helping me with the characters since I'm interested in being literate.

My wife has the TLI teachers come to her office for a few hours each week. After the first two books they've been splitting the time between textbook material and conversation.
Forumosan avatar
Shaktipalooza

6 Recognized(s)

Postby austin » 22 Apr 2012, 07:36

You asked for help on this forum. The community you sought help from depends on information so others do not fall into the same trap.
austin
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

5 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Learning Chinese