Translation Program???

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

Translation Program???

Postby shifu » 15 Apr 2012, 15:54

Okay all, I'm looking for a good (actually working) program that can take PDF scanned copies of Chinese Book pages with Chinese Text and will convert same in to English text! Surely there must a be a program "out there" that can do this. Let me know???
shifu
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Translation Program???

Postby ironlady » 15 Apr 2012, 22:09

Best of luck with that. At this point, the best such mechanism I know is still called a "human translator". :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby Confuzius » 15 Apr 2012, 22:39

Ya, dont exist.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 16 Apr 2012, 10:34

C-E machine translation software that renders good quality English text is currently scheduled for release soon after the release of a working time machine.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

30 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 16 Apr 2012, 11:55

the bear wrote:C-E machine translation software that renders good quality English text is currently scheduled for release soon after the release of a working time machine.
:roflmao:

But seriously, Google translate, though still no replacement for a human translator, has made progress in the past few years, and is as good as any machine translation software I've used (Google docs can ocr pdfs and tranlate them afaik). They're now using crowdsourcing in the form of pull down menus over each translated term that allow users to choose the correct translation or add their own. Presumably, if enough people do this, their algorithms will get smarter over time.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 16 Apr 2012, 11:56

Tiger Mountaineer wrote:Presumably, if enough people who have a clue do this, their algorithms will get smarter over time.

There. Fixed that for you. :D
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
327 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby lostinasia » 16 Apr 2012, 13:31

ironlady wrote:
Tiger Mountaineer wrote:Presumably, if enough people who have a clue do this, their algorithms will get smarter over time.

There. Fixed that for you. :D

Hasn't this become a genuine problem with Google Translate - there have been too many crap translations, and the program is actually getting worse?
Forumosan avatar
lostinasia
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

62 Recommends(s)
98 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 16 Apr 2012, 13:46

lostinasia wrote:Hasn't this become a genuine problem with Google Translate - there have been too many crap translations, and the program is actually getting worse?

Translators of Forumosa please weigh in... has it? Personally, it's gotten better in my experience. Five years ago it more or less just output gibberish. But then again, it may have already peaked, plateaued or started downhill lately. I don't use it enough to give a very informed opinion, but I find the crowdsourcing strategy interesting. Check out this talk on how they are repurposing the Captcha platform to translate the web at http://duolingo.com/.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 16 Apr 2012, 14:10

I've seen Google Translate go through tremendous ups and downs in quality over the years.

The major problem with Chinese to English machine translation is that Chinese is a high context language. That is, a lot of information, such as who is doing the action, is assumed to be understood by the reader, and is omitted from the Chinese. Machines aren't able to interpolate the missing information well.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

91 Recommends(s)
203 Recognized(s)

Postby the bear » 16 Apr 2012, 14:28

I'm redoing some seven-year-old ISO docs for my company at the moment. Some passages have obviously been put through an earlier iteration of Google Translate or else Dr Eye because the quality is much worse than what is produced now. I've proved this by entering the same text into Google Translate and comparing. So yeah, it's better, but not better to the point you would want to use it. I know there are some chancers who do "translation" by editing what GT spits out but my guess is they're delivering the finished product to translation mills who don't check the quality.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear

30 Recommends(s)
113 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese