NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Postby davidlivsey » 16 Apr 2012, 12:14

Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with this program? I think it's pretty new as I've googled it and searched here but to no avail...

I would preferably go for the regular MTC summer course but unfortunately the dates don't suit me. It's actually pretty pricey... around NT $23,600 for a mere 18 hours of Mandarin classes, 6 hours of "culture" classes and then some excursions etc. Compare that to NT $16,800 for MTC's regular two month summer-session, which gives you 10 hours of Mandarin a week for 8 weeks... :s

Link to the website: http://chinese.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:8080/TwoWeekExpress/

Any info would be appreciated,

cheers
davidlivsey
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Postby Feiren » 16 Apr 2012, 12:25

I don't know anything about it, but I think that's a total rip off. You are in effect paying NT$1,600 an hour ( :noway: ) for a class with 6-10 people in it. The cultural stuff and excursions will be a complete waste of time, so I'm not counting them in.

You can pay a good private teacher NT$400 an hour for one on one classes. You should be able to rent space for two in a study center like this one for less than NT$100/hour.

http://www.stskbook.com.tw/consume.php

davidlivsey wrote:Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with this program? I think it's pretty new as I've googled it and searched here but to no avail...

I would preferably go for the regular MTC summer course but unfortunately the dates don't suit me. It's actually pretty pricey... around NT $23,600 for a mere 18 hours of Mandarin classes, 6 hours of "culture" classes and then some excursions etc. Compare that to NT $16,800 for MTC's regular two month summer-session, which gives you 10 hours of Mandarin a week for 8 weeks... :s

Link to the website: http://chinese.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:8080/TwoWeekExpress/

Any info would be appreciated,

cheers
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
186 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Apr 2012, 13:54

Is this anything new? Sounds a lot like the famous "Love Boat" program for Overseas Chinese.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

534 Recommends(s)
417 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 16 Apr 2012, 20:47

Geez, I do CI-based one-on-one for NT$1000 an hour and you're actually able to use Chinese when you come out the other side after 18 hours. No cutesie culture classes, though. :aiyo: How much of that MTC figure is markup, given what the teachers actually earn?

It's about time these language centers figure out there's demand for short-term courses, though.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
63 Recommends(s)
251 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Learning Chinese