NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Language Exchange ads posted in the Learning Chinese forum will be removed

Moderator: ironlady

NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Postby davidlivsey » 16 Apr 2012, 12:14

Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with this program? I think it's pretty new as I've googled it and searched here but to no avail...

I would preferably go for the regular MTC summer course but unfortunately the dates don't suit me. It's actually pretty pricey... around NT $23,600 for a mere 18 hours of Mandarin classes, 6 hours of "culture" classes and then some excursions etc. Compare that to NT $16,800 for MTC's regular two month summer-session, which gives you 10 hours of Mandarin a week for 8 weeks... :s

Link to the website: http://chinese.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:8080/TwoWeekExpress/

Any info would be appreciated,

cheers
davidlivsey
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: NTNU MTC 2 week express program

Postby Feiren » 16 Apr 2012, 12:25

I don't know anything about it, but I think that's a total rip off. You are in effect paying NT$1,600 an hour ( :noway: ) for a class with 6-10 people in it. The cultural stuff and excursions will be a complete waste of time, so I'm not counting them in.

You can pay a good private teacher NT$400 an hour for one on one classes. You should be able to rent space for two in a study center like this one for less than NT$100/hour.

http://www.stskbook.com.tw/consume.php

davidlivsey wrote:Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with this program? I think it's pretty new as I've googled it and searched here but to no avail...

I would preferably go for the regular MTC summer course but unfortunately the dates don't suit me. It's actually pretty pricey... around NT $23,600 for a mere 18 hours of Mandarin classes, 6 hours of "culture" classes and then some excursions etc. Compare that to NT $16,800 for MTC's regular two month summer-session, which gives you 10 hours of Mandarin a week for 8 weeks... :s

Link to the website: http://chinese.mtc.ntnu.edu.tw:8080/TwoWeekExpress/

Any info would be appreciated,

cheers
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
204 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 16 Apr 2012, 13:54

Is this anything new? Sounds a lot like the famous "Love Boat" program for Overseas Chinese.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

704 Recommends(s)
562 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 16 Apr 2012, 20:47

Geez, I do CI-based one-on-one for NT$1000 an hour and you're actually able to use Chinese when you come out the other side after 18 hours. No cutesie culture classes, though. :aiyo: How much of that MTC figure is markup, given what the teachers actually earn?

It's about time these language centers figure out there's demand for short-term courses, though.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Learning Chinese